Sign in to follow this  
mlluell

Never built any lego, want to start with technic

I've never owned any lego but last week I watched a build time-lapse of a technic set and now I want to try them. I'm interested with the big/complex sets as I want something of a challenge and also that leaves me with enough pieces that I can start to experiment myself after the first build.

Congratulations and welcome to the world of LEGO. I think for the most part the sets are not really that challenging to build although they maybe somewhat complex none the less. Building your own creations or another person's moc will probably be far more challenging. As far as which sets to buy for parts building, you have to ask yourself what sort of models you want to build. Then you can decide what sort of parts you need to stock up on. Many recommend buying the really big sets for parts however I like doing it with small to medium sized sets instead, I just have a hard time parting out the big sets because I like them as they are for the most part. Sets that I think are good parts packs I usually buy multiple copys of, especially the smaller ones. So what sort of stuff are you interested in building? 

The ones that I like the most are the construction ones. I'm not that much into cars because, correct me if I'm wrong, cars and other vehicles are much more simple than a crane for example (mechanically speaking).

Ah my personal favorite builds as well. I think to start 42094 Tracked Loader is great set, relatively inexpensive and a good parts pack, with decent functions. Also I think 42079 Fork Lift is a good set and has a good B model as well, thinking of getting a second one as a matter of fact. I guess the crane is a good set too, I just don't have it so I can't say. We also have 42100 to look forward to in August, can't wait. 

I would highly recommend getting the 42055 (Bucket wheel excavator) or 42082 (Rough terrain crane) as a first set. 
It will teach you about gear mechanics and give you a massive bucket-load of parts for future mocs. 

Getting into LDD (Lego Digital Designer) is also a big plus so you can test things in advance before ordering more parts..
Not to mention the possibility of getting a step by step instruction of what you build in it. 

Oh and a personal tip:
Always sort your parts. Using parts storage drawers is a good way to have all parts organized and easy to grab when making a moc. It skips all the wasted time and hassle of trying to dig trough a pile of parts for that one connector piece... 

Edited by Mechbuilds

I'd definitely recommend smaller sets to start out with. If you really get on with building in Technic you'll jump to larger sets in no time. Try 42071 Dozer Compactor or 42084 Hook Loader, as both are heavy machinery and entry-level builds that will get you motivated. Your next steps would ideally be 42079 and 42094. Look back as well; 42004 Mini Backhoe Loader is a great set if you can find one for a reasonable price.

I agree with Maaboo35, starting with big sets can be frustrating and spoil the first impression, small or medium sets can teach you small lessons that it is better to know when dealing with the big ones, my advice is to get the 42079, there never is a bad forklift to build.

Edited by jorgeopesi

Same advise here, start small. Small builds have interesting solutions because of parts limitations or size constraints. Lessons you cannot learn from the big sets. Often they have some interesting pieces as well. And if by any change Lego Technic turns out not to be your thing, you haven't invested high amounts of money. Like Maaboo said: if you like it, you'll be building the big guns in only a few months time...

Right now if you are not afraid of going big 42082 is a nice one, however in a few months 42100 will be released. You may consider start saving for that if you are budget constrained -as that set might be a game changer in some aspects- and getting some smaller set to try the waters in the meanwhile. 

Noone would advise a Bach piece as someone's first piano piece to practice.

Why do people advise sets likte 42055 or 42082 to someone who says they want to start with Technic? Technic building, like piano playing, requires practice. You need to "learn the language", so to speak. First, practice "reading" how to work with beams, gears, pins, axles, etc. (that is, build sets from instruction). Later on, practice "writing" with those elements (i.e. build your own stuff and see what comes out).

I think the advice to @mlluell, or to anyone starting out for that matter, is very simple. Get a small set. Which set? Any set that speaks to your interest. I think if people advise, they do so from their own interests, which aren't necessarily the same as the topic starter's interests. You like boats? Get a boat. You like trucks? Get a truck. Etc. There's a good enough variety currently on offer, so I'd just go to your local toy store and pick something you like. Starting small is mostly a way to limit the damage in the case this Technic thing isn't what you expected.

Also, let's not forget that to someone who has never done it, Technic building is harder than many experience builders may think. I sometimes build Creator sets together with my boyfriend and I notice the difference between us in how quickly we read instructions and translate them to the model-in-progress in our hands.

Edited by Erik Leppen

I started with Lego 8860 at age 5 or 6 so, I guess an adult can happily start with any set and enjoy it.

I started in technic as an adult about 1 year ago after also having very little Lego and no technic as a kid. I started with sets that have 1000 to 2000 pieces, which I thought was a good place to start (42053, 42054, 42030, and 9396). I also built 42079, which I enjoyed as well. I’ll offer you the following additional pieces of advice.

1.      If you haven’t already, acquaint yourself with Lego enthusiast websites like this one and Brickset.com. Brickset has all the Lego sets in a database that makes browsing for current and past sets easy with instructions and parts lists. Watch and read the reviews and see which sets people rave about. There’s also a few “favorite set” threads on here that you might want to look at for ideas.

2.      Buy used when you’re starting out if there is a good secondary market in Spain. I use eBay in the US. Current used sets will be cheaper and will already have the used price depreciation that comes with breaking the seal and opening the bags. Out of production used sets will be much cheaper as well. This way if you decide to quit Technic and sell, you should be able to sell for what you purchased the sets for and will only be out the seller fees.

3.      Look for sets that have C-models that interest you. This will give you more practice and experience with the same pile of pieces. Search this forum’s C-model index and Rebrickable.com.

4.      You are paying for the build just as much as (maybe more than) the finished product. Slow down and enjoy it. Try to understand and play with the mechanisms you are building as you are putting them together.

Hi Mlluell, 

I just want to point at the pneumatic harvester and the tracked loader, both are medium sized and both have features which made Technic so popular as it became over the past years... If you really get hooked to this excellent timesink called Lego technic... it`s just great, your imagination keeps growing with experience and available parts.

Please don`t buy the large cars first... it`s not just about four-wheeled things finally, they are in fact all the same with more or less in-depth mechanical detail, very repetetive, except the shaping of the outer body.

Start reasonable and you will very well know what to get next! :wink: And have fun!

If you can afford it go for 42082 as it is a great set, and failry good value.

In term of is it to complicated for a first set? Well assuming you can tie your shoe laces you can build any official Lego Technic set as their instructions are very clear and concise. Just take your time and enjoy the build is the best advice. :)

Ian..

I just want to second what Erik Leppen said as not to start too big.

I recently came back from my dark age and decided to buy a set that looks appealing to me (without too much thinking about functionnality) and bought 42077 (rally car). It's a middled size set with roughly 1000 parts.
Since technic from my childhood were studfull (8865 supercar and 8854 power crane), I also bought a really small set, 42057 ultralight copter as well as sorting boxes, just to learn a bit about studless building.
I can say that I had some great building fun with the two sets, even if you achieve your goal more quickly with a small one.
That being said, even a small set can be entertaining. For example, 42057 provide 2 official models but also 2 other one from the original designer (a shark and a hoovercraft). Instructions for those are currently only available from reversed video (disassembling) and are quite challengeous to follow.

I since bought a handfull lot of sets (mainly from 2017-2018)
42037 : formula off roader (proved to be fake lego and thus disappointing)
42060 : roadwork crew
42065 : RC tracked racer
42069 : extreme adventure
42070 : 6*6 all terrain truck
42071 : dozer compactor
42072 : whack!
42075 : first responder
42078 : Mack Anthem
42081 : Volvo concept loader Zeux
42082 : RTC
42084 : Hook Loader

I mostly already build the smaller sets, due to time constraint that you need to take into account before buying larger sets.
The next one on my building list will be 42081, which seems to be quite nice.

I think that you have to be carefull for the price when buying also (most of my purchases were made before chrismas and during sales so the whole lot is under 750 €) and keep some model in box before buiilding when you have the time to do it.

Keep also in mind that power functions are going to be replaced by power up system and it could be a good idea to refrain yourself from buying set with power function for the time.

The choice is yours now.