As a BMW bike adept, owner and rider, the set 42063 was a must have.

I was very disappointed with this set, tough, since the engine is not a boxer. NOT A BOXER. Man, this boxer engine is about the best reason for this bike or even this company's success!

The exhaust is attached to the swingarm. This is just silly.

The travel boxes are quite modular, but not as much so as they would be considered a play feature. And the bike looks awful without them. A shame.

Finally, the top fairing holding the headlights and the handlebars were a bit too weak to my taste, and the disc brakes with pulley wheels did not do the trick for me.

I decided to fix this. Let's MOD:

y4m5n6-UJz_91KpnrHCKYfau7p9jbJYcU4N5Ta7f

I tried to keep the proportions and general looks of the original set.

y4mO8rzokiZxN868K8M-iBCxV6otjMpP6uExti_r

The boxes now come off easily and reliably; they're now an actual play feature. The bike looks also good without.

y4my_0G4n76jFaH3pLzda_PKcg84ifbkCJFGgPYb

The boxer engine mock-up (down) and the original (up). The boxer fits in the frame with just a slight modification (rotate 180° a 3 by 3 T-shaped beam in the front part of the frame, no mechanical incidence).

y4mtLb_QMEx6KbrGXc2k1zK3YviJJZSEzQIOrqVq

I was disappointed not to be able to see the pistons actually BOXING. Then I remembered those see-through cylinders. They work well here, in my opinion.

y4mzDb7LxLpYAO8rlI-3_vFF-6jYtDnTf0QuEgZe

y4mZYj3g5-ot8w3Qsxp4wjFFz7ll7id_YvtXkRjm

3L connector pins, stopped axles and three point fixation scheme make for reliable fitting and unfitting of the boxes. I also rendered all three as the original top one: with a door and 3L connector pin as a knob.
It seemed ugly when I first built the original set, but if the alternative is a losing a quarter of the inner space, as on the original side boxes, then I prefer the knob.

y4mM63pGzEPgQRwGa_BK7JrNhPrtrH1foDsopM24

The front of my boxer engine also looks a lot more like the one on actual bikes.

y4mue_einRCw--pvuijeV7qSEXFBQMCNnD_LwMTQ

Here we are. Some simple modifications to respect basic or essential mechanical principles and offer more play features. Why didn't Lego do that?
The number 7 plate is from model 8838. Because not only BMW has a history of making motorcycles! :wink: