Sign in to follow this  
Blaze

Free Build Mitgardia: Hermit's Hide-out

Gavin had a terrible life. Or at least, he thought so. Hated by his family (maybe because he couldn't stop drinking all the wine), fired at his job (maybe because he couldn't stop drinking all the wine and he was working in a brewery), he decided to leave and went to a small island together with his brother Creedence and nephew Harry (who both had the same problem as Gavin...). Hermit's Hide-out.

They thought they were being left allone there, untill a Fire Wyvern noticed the vegetables they were growing there.

33400793568_bb2f1b58ec.jpgHermit's Hide-out by Jan Pennings, on Flickr

47224416332_8550df017e.jpgHermit's Hide-out by Jan Pennings, on Flickr

Gavin's shot is a bit off, maybe because he starts his day with a moonshine or two...

47224418892_ca83651eee.jpgHermit's Hide-out by Jan Pennings, on Flickr

Harry is just fishing, he is a simple boy, didnt notice that the entire house is burning down...

33400794378_15bdab17bd.jpgHermit's Hide-out by Jan Pennings, on Flickr

32334490147_422ac5e6a0.jpgHermit's Hide-out by Jan Pennings, on Flickr

47224415922_4132a7eec9.jpgHermit's Hide-out by Jan Pennings, on Flickr

Creedence has allways been a coward.

33400793888_8a5fa6d3cf.jpgHermit's Hide-out by Jan Pennings, on Flickr

Luckilly the rangers were in the neighborhood and saw the black smoke rising, Captain Mason to the rescue!

Please let me know your comments!!

Once again nice wyvern.  Interesting house, I like the combination of stonework and wood.  Nice job with the fire.  I like the rat sitting up on the railing.  

I think The Last of Nerogue is right about it being too chaotic. There is just so much going on here without a definite sense of what we are seeing. A more zoomed-out picture could help to get a better perspective of what is going on. As it is, it seems like a bunch of unconnected vignettes (a guy fishing, a guy running out a door, a guy standing on a dock) without much of a visual plan. I like the garden, and I do like the picture of the ranger's back on the dock, but the build itself is a bit too chaotic. Also, I would recommend trying out some more SNOT techniques, especially in the rocks, to bring some variation into it; everything right now is rather more "classic" and studs-up, which struggles on a larger scale to look organic. On the plus side, in this build, unlike the one with the dwarven mine, you posed the figs more dynamically. As I said, I really like the picture of the ranger, and his one-leg-bent pose is just perfect for a man of action poised to leap into the fray. 

Yeah, it's a bit chaotic. Lots of nice posing, details, and photography angles though. I think if you develop some of the fancier techniques MOCers use for stuff like this, your other sensibilities will shine through a lot.

Nice! I like how trees and rocks come out of the water together :thumbup: I think an overall pic might help to better understand what's going on. A clearer storyline would also go in that direction, as at the moment I can't quite follow what the connection between all the lines is (the guys like to drink, but they are suddently growing vegs somewhere else, while a wyvern appears...). One last thing you could try to get the build neater and less messy, is to avoid using so many colours for the build-up parts - to be more precise: on the walls of your building I can spot dark bley, light bley, dark tan, reddish brown and dark brown; all this stands on the rocks (mainly light bley, but also tan!) and mixes up with the trees (mainly dark brown again) ---> I'd say pick only one for the wall (or maybe one + one for a bit of texture), one for the rocks, one for the trees and stick to it, watching out for those bits where they inevitably mix up (for example a wooden structure coming out of a tree). If you do this, It might end up looking 'too separated', yet it should help on the long term. Well, at least this helped me :classic:

Nice job though, keep it coming!

Hey thanks for the comments, you guys are right that it is very chaotic, that was also a bit the thing I wanted to achieve because it is a house build by an alcoholic haha, but I should have added a over all picture, I completely forgot that! Next time I should just build a house that is made by a sober hermit hahaha. Thanks for the tips about the techniques, colours etc, nice to hear some other ideas!!

When I first glanced at the build, I thought to myself "Wow, that's a lot of orange" and then I realized the structure was on fire!  I like the feel of it.  It reminds me in a lot of ways of the Forestman's River Fortress.  The dark browns look great, and I like the fall feel.  The story really helps me figure out what's going on, as it's hard for me to see the dragon for what it is in a couple of pictures.  Usually the close up all-Lego pictures are some of the best in any build, but in your case, there's so much going on in this action scene, I actually find that the distance shots are the best.  The ones of the back are really good, and I think my favorite is the last one where you can see things burning in the background.  I'd like to see more of the dragon from the front, too!  Nice work!

As said by others, a little chaotic too for me. The people around the house who is fishing and other things would notice that something is going on... 

Fun gardens setup, and I like how you utilized wall panels with columns of 1x1 round bricks between them :thumbup:

An overview shot would certainly be appreciated, as it looks to be a very cool layout with various levels and walkways. The Mitgardian rangers are certainly in high demand these days!