Hi there,  I've been working on some code to allow of the conversion of textured 3D models into coloured ldr files (with brick optimisation - so it creates the ldr model with 10 different types of brick).  I've put my python code and instructions on how to use it on GitHub,  you can get all the details from my blog...

https://cultofthebrick.blogspot.com/2019...ithub.html

Hope you like it
VideoGameGiants.jpg

Cool. I like it. Even so personally I would like lxf support as I am not using ldraw. 

Your creation seems a very interesting 3D mosaic software.

What do you think to edit the first post of this topic and create a presentation page, so it can be added to the section index?
Has the software a name?

Hi Calabar - I'll see if I can do what you suggest about creating a presentation page.  My python script is really part of a "3D conversion pipeline" that relies on a number of other people's freely available software.  My code is a "missing link" to convert from coloured voxels (for which there are quite a few editing tools freely available) to .ldr files; as part of a larger pipeline.  You can download the proposed pipeline here...https://github.com/pennyforge/ColouredVoxels2LDR/blob/master/User Guide - Pipeline to convert coloured 3D model files in Blender to coloured Lego LDraw models .pdf

Currently it's more of a process than a piece of software so I'm not quite sure I'm ready to give it a name yet!

I recently went the other way arround transforming .ldr into .obj to render it. For my understanding you have to scale your voxels a little bit cause I think your video game characters are looking a bit high compared to their width. But I guess you are at a good starting point to fulfil that missing link :)

Hi Ragni,

Yes, you are correct - Voxels are based on cubes (which have 3 axes of symetry) where as a 1x1 Lego brick is rectangular (with only 2 axes of symetry) - I think you need to scale the original 3D model in the height axis by about 0.8 (before you convert the 3D model to voxels) to allow for this difference - and as you point out I hadn't done this with my original models so when they are converted to .ldrs they look slightly out of proportion.