Vilhelm22

Press Release: Creator Expert 10269 Harley-Davidson Fat Boy

If it's not a train then I'm disappointed. I would prefer a re-release of the Emerald Night. It would be the perfect opportunity to push the Powered Up system like the original Emerald Night demonstrated the possibilities of PowerFunctions.

It's hard to understand that TLG doesn't recognize the potential of trains in the AFOL market. It's only trains and Technic models that have play value for adults. At least I neither play with cars, buildings nor minifigs, I just arrange them in my city layout. It's the trains that are fun to play with, often together with friends. Any train fan sooner or later spends money on city-related sets to complement the train layout, so even if the sales of the train sets is average, the long term effect on sales is huge.

4 hours ago, legotownlinz said:

It's hard to understand that TLG doesn't recognize the potential of trains in the AFOL market. It's only trains and Technic models that have play value for adults. At least I neither play with cars, buildings nor minifigs, I just arrange them in my city layout. It's the trains that are fun to play with, often together with friends. Any train fan sooner or later spends money on city-related sets to complement the train layout, so even if the sales of the train sets is average, the long term effect on sales is huge.

Honestly, I suspect there are a LOT of AFOLs who play experiences very different than the sorts that either of us prefer! After all, online AFOL communities are the origin of terms like "swooshability" to describe how well an aircraft or spacecraft MOC can be picked up and zoomed around while making "whoooooosh" and "pew pew!" noises. And I've seen other adults get up to quite a bit of silliness at fan conventions!

I also think that as much as LEGO knows about the thriving AFOL train community, they have to balance that with the far more extensive and reliable buying habits of their kid audience. I imagine that the factory openings and expansions over the past few years have helped them to expand their production capacity somewhat, but even so I also know that even so they've had repeated issues with struggling to produce enough of certain highly sought after products to meet demand in the run up to the holiday season. As such, they have to be really strategic in figuring out how many sets or what quantity of each set they should produce in any particular product line. And Creator Expert in general, despite having grown somewhat in both scope and popularity since the Emerald Night first came out, still tends to be considerably lower in priority than major kid-targeted themes like City, Friends, and Ninjago.

All that said… we still don't know whether we're getting an "out of the vault" set this year or what it might be, so maybe there's still a chance of an Emerald Night re-release. It would certainly seem like this year or next would be a pretty good time for one, considering how many other such sets have come out close to ten years after their original release.

I know it's probably not a train, but I'd really love another train. Heck i'd probably buy 6 of them like i did with every other creator train. 

Heck, even if it were an emerald night re-release i'd still buy despite already having 6 emerald nights 

Yes, this is rather like my own line of thinking right now. If it turns out to be a train, especially an emerald night re-release, I'd buy like 3 minimum. If it comes with carriages, then 6 minimum. Credit cards can be paid off, but Lego doesn't stick around for long!

Since Lego have recently decided to discontinue the train window pieces, I doubt this is going to be an Emerald Night re-release.

Edited by Graupensuppe

Any chance Sebastian Vettel's helmet was a hint we will see a Ferrari F1 Creator Expert set? It would surely need far less parts than a classic street car. 8157 has even less than 1000 parts. I would really love to be right this time.

5 hours ago, legophisto said:

Any chance Sebastian Vettel's helmet was a hint we will see a Ferrari F1 Creator Expert set? It would surely need far less parts than a classic street car. 8157 has even less than 1000 parts. I would really love to be right this time.

I would love you to be right too!

NASA Apollo 11 Lunar Lander 10266 being announced now confuses me even more - isn’t that technically a vehicle as well?

On 5/30/2019 at 12:20 PM, Vilhelm22 said:

NASA Apollo 11 Lunar Lander 10266 being announced now confuses me even more - isn’t that technically a vehicle as well?

I was thinking that too. Looks like we're getting 3 expert vehicle sets this year. Not that I'm complaining. :classic:

I don't expect it to be a train, but like many others I would be thrilled if it was. I forget which designer mentioned this in an interview, but I recall that the winter village train from 2017 sold incredibly well because it was something that both train and winter village enthusiasts appreciated. They also hinted that they may attempt a similar approach with another expert franchise such as the modular buildings. (I might be misremembering this, so take it with a grain of salt.). I suspect that if they make a train it will be paired with another set such as a modular train station.

carlo.fadel posted a couple pages ago with confidence that it would be an iconic English car. And Technicallism similarly stated it would be a Harley Davidson Motorcycle (supposedly a reliable source). Given that we have had this situation with the Corner Garage being called back in September, I'm just going to blindly guess that one of these two users are correct and if I'm wrong it'll still be an interesting surprise. I'm content enough with that until we get more information.

11 hours ago, incognito said:

I think itˋs pretty much confirmed that it will be a Harley Davidson

Can't Wait! ;-)

On 4/9/2019 at 9:44 PM, legotownlinz said:

If it's not a train then I'm disappointed. I would prefer a re-release of the Emerald Night. It would be the perfect opportunity to push the Powered Up system like the original Emerald Night demonstrated the possibilities of PowerFunctions.

It's hard to understand that TLG doesn't recognize the potential of trains in the AFOL market. It's only trains and Technic models that have play value for adults.

I got tired of waiting, but forking 300+ EUR for a used set in which ZERO money goes to LEGO.. humm I can spend 6x times less than that and also doesn't cost ZERO money to LEGO. My patience is running out.. tick tack

Regarding trains being AFOL catnip:

I'm in my 30s. I like the scifi/car/airplane stuff. I've never met a person who was into trains, either growing up or now. The only people I see who are interested in trains are people on old Huell Howser TV episodes where they're at a convention full of 50+ year olds tinkering with model trains...that aren't made of LEGO.

Based on that, to me, trains seem like a bad investment for the LEGO company (whatever they're called now). Of course, people in different countries may be into different things.

That said, I'm sure LEGO has a demographer who decides what themes to put out. And if they don't, they should, every business should. That's how you make sure you release product that interests the largest possible population who has disposable income to actually buy your product.

Edited by Henchmen4Hire

I received and built the Apollo Lander today. A very nice set, and the geometry in the base is quite satisfying to build. There are two minor modifications I would consider to be essential, and I made two further modifications so as to avoid having to apply stickers. The essential mods are: (i) removing the click hinge extension arms for the reaction control thrusters and just connecting these directly to the click hinge bricks in the hull; and (ii) swapping the 1x2 plates with bars in the base (where the ascent module clips attach) from 48336 to 2540 (this keeps the ascent module centered when attached). To avoid stickers, I used a 2x2 printed tile for the main interior console above the exit hatch, and made a brick-built US flag.

On 6/8/2019 at 12:58 AM, hsousa said:

I got tired of waiting, but forking 300+ EUR for a used set in which ZERO money goes to LEGO.. humm I can spend 6x times less than that and also doesn't cost ZERO money to LEGO. My patience is running out.. tick tack

Don’t worry, you will get a big train set this year..... on Disney D2C 

mark my words

There's also NO train station available to buy from S&L at the moment. And don't tell me kids do not want it, because my kids do !

I am not jumping in any negativity wagon here, but simply pointing out some flaws in market strategy from Lego. How come there are hundreds of sets, but not even one train station?

On 6/17/2019 at 9:44 AM, hsousa said:

There's also NO train station available to buy from S&L at the moment. And don't tell me kids do not want it, because my kids do !

I am not jumping in any negativity wagon here, but simply pointing out some flaws in market strategy from Lego. How come there are hundreds of sets, but not even one train station?

Well, as far as Creator Expert is concerned, I don't get the impression that the Winter Village Station was anywhere near as popular as the Winter Holiday Train, so perhaps today's buyers are not too keep on buying station platforms unless an actual train is included with them.

In a more general sense, though, the upcoming LEGO Hidden Side ghost train comes with a train station.

On 6/19/2019 at 5:49 AM, lovecraft25 said:

10269 LEGO Creator Expert Batmobile

;-)

Fake news, HP

A Batman vehicle (regardless of size/style) wouldn't be part of the Creator Expert line in any case, it would be part of the Batman line.