leafan

Lego Ideas Support Thread - Historical/Castle

Recommended Posts

Wow, those are beautiful mocs! The fact that the three Hood sets are modular make it even more exciting!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello everyone, I am the builder of Brachiosaurus. Thank you for your interest.

Being relatively new in the AFOL network, I do not really know all the ways to gain as much visibility as possible to my proposals.
So if you have suggestions, groups, forums to advise me I'm interested.

The idea of listing all the ideas of "castle like" sets is great.
The latest update of the LEGO IDEAS site has even taken the idea by introducing the search by categories!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Destrier said:

Hello everyone, I am the builder of Brachiosaurus. Thank you for your interest.

Being relatively new in the AFOL network, I do not really know all the ways to gain as much visibility as possible to my proposals.
So if you have suggestions, groups, forums to advise me I'm interested.

The idea of listing all the ideas of "castle like" sets is great.
The latest update of the LEGO IDEAS site has even taken the idea by introducing the search by categories!

Welcome Destier! You may recognise me as AdmiralCuriousDog from Ideas. I'm glad that you've taken my suggestion to come here.

I've been thinking on how we can build up and coalesce the Historical fans, and I think that asking talented moccers like yourself, as well as supporting YouTube channels like @Marghals Bricks of Imagination channel will really help to make our voices heard.

Not just with Castle either, but other overlooked themes like Pirates, too.

BTW this post was turned into the Ideas support thread after I posted about your Brachiosaurus, so hopefully you've gained at least some support from here.

Edited by leafan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

This project submitted the other day just may (or may not) be of interest to Castle/Historical fans:

The Old Mill by farmfarm

*snip*

Good stuff; I've added it to the index. Thanks.

Also, here's one for the Western fans:

Western Stagecoach by Ims_jam:

Spoiler

6206407-Lego_Stagecoach_6-thumbnail-full

A very simple design for Castle - Medieval Castle Tower on a Rock by B-BrickBuilded:

Spoiler

6130470-DSC_0088-thumbnail-full.JPG

And finally, a beautiful large Castle and Siege - Siege the castle ! by povoq:

Spoiler

6210719-01.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

That Siege the Castle set is amazing.

Even while it's obviously based off a collection of older set designs revitalized and updated, it's at the right scale for me.

Even the small tower on a rock is nice.

Edited by TeriXeri

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not really sure I see the point of submissions that are essentially reworkings of sets LEGO has already done.

The stagecoach

6205962-Lego_Stagecoach_2-thumbnail-full

 

is a slightly crappier version of this set from 2013

79108-1.png

 

The same with the Castle style sets above, they are essentially rehashes of existing sets. LEGO has data about how well they sold. If there was a business case to release another substantial stagecoach set, no doubt they would do it. Although outside of a western theme or a licensed theme where it was in some context, I cannot see such a set working.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of the positivity towards simpler Castle projects is encouraging to see here, since I've been dabbling on a Castle MOC on LEGO Digital Designer for some time, and all this positivity really boosts my confidence that if I can get it to a finished state it might be well received by people here who have been enthusiastic for a "traditional" castle using more modern parts and techniques!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Some of the positivity towards simpler Castle projects is encouraging to see here, since I've been dabbling on a Castle MOC on LEGO Digital Designer for some time, and all this positivity really boosts my confidence that if I can get it to a finished state it might be well received by people here who have been enthusiastic for a "traditional" castle using more modern parts and techniques!

Great to hear, hope to see what you come up with.  Some of the castle stuff on ideas are nice but I'm really waiting for someone to wow us and show lego castle is still a strong presence within the community.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apologies all, I've been going through a mini no-Lego period after seeing my living space gradually becoming a Lego museum.

On 4/13/2019 at 2:09 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

Thanks for that submission Digger, I have added to the index! It's lovely.

P.S. I have also added The Fortress by Gandalf54.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/18/2019 at 1:51 PM, leafan said:

New projects...

Witch's Den by legoon1.

  Reveal hidden contents

6213231-P3230281.JPG

Halt's cabin (Ranger's Apprentice) by the 10th Ring Wraith.

  Reveal hidden contents

6302010-Screen_Shot_2019-04-15_at_3.28.1

 

This last guy couldn't even be bothered to make his minifig hands and heads match in color...

I'd love to see something Castle-related come out of LEGO Ideas - but most of what I see is vastly inferior to actual LEGO sets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Hive said:

I'd love to see something Castle-related come out of LEGO Ideas - but most of what I see is vastly inferior to actual LEGO sets.

Well, have you even checked @leafan's index? Some of the projects featured are quite extraordinary...

On 2/27/2019 at 7:57 AM, leafan said:

Ending Soon (URGENT VOTES NEEDED):

Medieval House by oms5134.

Nearly There (Needs more votes):

Medieval Blacksmith by Namirob.

Aging Entries (Needs a boost):

New Entries:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2019 at 7:06 AM, Hive said:

This last guy couldn't even be bothered to make his minifig hands and heads match in color...

I'd love to see something Castle-related come out of LEGO Ideas - but most of what I see is vastly inferior to actual LEGO sets.

Fair enough. I'm not here to provide critique; just to bring Historically themed ideas into view and let people be their own judge.

I don't tend to link LDD submissions though. Only physical for the most part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, leafan said:

Fair enough. I'm not here to provide critique; just to bring Historically themed ideas into view and let people be their own judge.

Speaking of such, here's another recent Medieval/Historical project worth mentioning here:

The Medieval Blacksmith by Cholmberg1

Current Submission Image

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2019 at 4:01 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Well, have you even checked @leafan's index? Some of the projects featured are quite extraordinary...

 

I'll admit that I haven't gone through the entire list (perhaps half of it). But sure, among them are some impressive mocs - but an impressive moc does not necessarily make a good set.

I haven't for a long time noticed a medieval Ideas set that even close to matches the quality of, say, The Old Fishing Store while also being something that could realistically become a set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2019 at 10:00 AM, Hive said:

I'll admit that I haven't gone through the entire list (perhaps half of it). But sure, among them are some impressive mocs - but an impressive moc does not necessarily make a good set.

I haven't for a long time noticed a medieval Ideas set that even close to matches the quality of, say, The Old Fishing Store while also being something that could realistically become a set.

Well, even if an entry is a bit overkill in the grebbling department (as goes for most quality medieval creations), all Lego would have to do is scale that complexity back just a little to bring it into a more viable format (kinda like the treatment Lego gave Peter Reid's Exo-Suit).

I mean, the way I see it, it's better to give Lego more to work upon rather than less. :classic:

On 5/2/2019 at 1:09 PM, leafan said:

Thanks, I have added.

This isn't quite a medieval castle, but it's sorta close: Brickstone Manor by farmfarm

6376389-Main-picture.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2019 at 8:10 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

Well, even if an entry is a bit overkill in the grebbling department (as goes for most quality medieval creations), all Lego would have to do is scale that complexity back just a little to bring it into a more viable format (kinda like the treatment Lego gave Peter Reid's Exo-Suit).

I mean, the way I see it, it's better to give Lego more to work upon rather than less. :classic:

I agree, but there still ought to be a certain amount of restraint. How LEGO redesigns Ideas projects into sets often depends not just on what they can or can't do in terms of costs and logistics, but also what they think it was about the original project that the most people were drawn to. If a project is so huge, complex, or elaborate that people are supporting it for those very reasons, it becomes increasingly difficult for designers to simplify it or scale it down in a way that doesn't eliminate what supporters liked about it in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.