mojot83

Power Function Rechargeable Battery 8878

Looks like LEGO have retired the LEGO® Power Functions Rechargeable Battery Box 8878 according to the product pages. Does anyone know if they are replacing this with anything new or whether we just have to use the AAA standard battery box going forward?

retired.jpg

Edited by mojot83

Well I don't.

All I know for sure though that this is one of finest pieces of equipment TLG has ever released. As simple as that. The dial, the charging behavior. Perfect.

I have no clue why they discontinue that box - maybe someone has swallowed it. Or found a way to blow out the LiPo. I have no clue. I have several of them and they rock.

All the best,
Thorsten

Now this is really a horrible decision. The store shows 'out of stock'. Where did the 'retired' listing come from.

CAN WE HEAR FROM AN OFFICIAL SOURCE LIKE AN AMBASSADOR?

Well according to Lego Customer Services when I quizzed them with the question.

As of yet we have nothing that I am aware of in the works, but my guess would be we are moving more onto the powered up (Power functions v.2) so who knows what we may be doing for these products?
Keep an eye out on the website and who knows what you may see eventually.
I do apologise that I did not have a definitive answer for you but like mentioned it is most likely due to the introduction of the Powered Up series.

I was able to pick up one of these from Toys R Us last year before they closed and find it perfect for the train runs.  Not sure how I feel about the new train technology I have not tried out the new sets yet. 

Very sad to hear they discontinued these :sceptic:

Lego could possibly make a rechargeable battery that replaces the battery holder (and possibly the entire bottom) of the PU controller, just like what was done for the NXT and EV3 batteries.

sMiSG.jpg

Also, we still don't know the details of the new Control+ coming in 42099 and 42100 - for all we know, it could have a built-in rechargeable battery, just like BuWizz.

Posted (edited)
On 3/6/2019 at 5:07 PM, mojot83 said:

As of yet we have nothing that I am aware of in the works, but my guess would be we are moving more onto the powered up (Power functions v.2) so who knows what we may be doing for these products?
Keep an eye out on the website and who knows what you may see eventually.
I do apologise that I did not have a definitive answer for you but like mentioned it is most likely due to the introduction of the Powered Up series.

Are you sure that this guy is an Lego employee?

"we don't know"
"my guess"
"so who knows"
"who knows what you may see"

Edited by coinoperator

Looks like Lego are moving to the PoweredUp way of doing control after doing a bit of research into the new technic sets mentioned below and the new videos from the recent toy fair where Lego announced the tie up with liebherr.

3 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

Lego could possibly make a rechargeable battery that replaces the battery holder (and possibly the entire bottom) of the PU controller, just like what was done for the NXT and EV3 batteries.

sMiSG.jpg

Also, we still don't know the details of the new Control+ coming in 42099 and 42100 - for all we know, it could have a built-in rechargeable battery, just like BuWizz.

It was an official Lego customer service guy I spoke to ... Not sure how much they new about their new products though.

21 minutes ago, coinoperator said:

Are you sure that this guy is an Lego employee?

"we don't know"
"my guess"
"so who knows"
"who knows what you may see"

On 3/9/2019 at 9:34 PM, 62Bricks said:

psst...

LEGO education

Excellent point!

But now they are sold out.

Posted (edited)

Sorry for bumping an old topic but I’d like to know is anyone knows of a good quality 3rd party charger for the 8878? The official one at a penny under £25 +£3.99 p&p is ridiculously expensive.

Edited by grum64

3 hours ago, grum64 said:

Sorry for bumping an old topic but I’d like to know is anyone knows of a good quality 3rd party charger for the 8878? The official one at a penny under £25 +£3.99 p&p is ridiculously expensive

And it always has been ridiculously expensive ...

Back in the days ... the LEGO LiPo box

You can use any DC power supply (wall wart or the like) putting out a voltage between 9 V and 18 V. So any dirt cheap lets say 12 V DC wall wart will do.

Best
Thorsten  

11 hours ago, Toastie said:

And it always has been ridiculously expensive ...

Back in the days ... the LEGO LiPo box

You can use any DC power supply (wall wart or the like) putting out a voltage between 9 V and 18 V. So any dirt cheap lets say 12 V DC wall wart will do.

Best
Thorsten  

That's great. Thank you.