Hello there!
I used to have lots of bricks when I was a kid, but I left them at my parent's when I moved. Now that I have kids and nephews, I'm happy they can enjoy these when visiting their grandparents. On the other hand, that left me with very few stuff to build from. Now, when I want to build something new, I usually spot a set with interesting parts and start from there.

The goal here was to build a fully suspended car with steering, differential and motor. The build had to be tough enough so my youngest (under 2 y.o.) could play with it.
I bought set 42075 because it had a differential and nice panels and started from there. I lacked cardans, so the transmission has to go through a cascade of gears, making the rear train a bit bulky, but it works! I had a couple of spare motorcycle coils left from a 42036 set, which themed the build to a buggy.

y4m6A_pOzp-wYZQJjwI_XbedaXr3V7oLfa60dWB0

y4m7q_iU2ZfbXGO9qQmA7KUqippL2dayiRuRrO8i

y4mYJ4pyAh1MWuR914HyxdxeUH0jjUC42z82M5wr

y4meC67fBrj3_ICDssEUefZyeQYcEBhe7oOt8KES

y4mffJMtwc-u9xjZC7r6eiXQn26RzJg0rOpKGq9h

There, that's all for my first post here. Cheers!

Just now, schraubedrin said:

That's a really nice and clean build.
I like that you didn't use too many parts.

How's the steering angle? I always have trouble building a good mechanic with the small steering arm.

Thanks! Well it goes as far as the small steering arm can go, and since the wheelbase is small, the steering angle is okay. I would say the radius is about one length of the car.

Very nice. It looks like it'd keep the children entertained and survive intact :thumbup:

Great way to introduce yourself to Eurobricks. Good to have you with us.

Welcome on EB. Your buggy looks very appealing to me. Although you explained yourself on the bulky rear axle, that is my favorite bit. It represents the core of lego. Overcoming on problems, like the lack of certain parts. :thumbup:

1 hour ago, Attika said:

Welcome on EB. Your buggy looks very appealing to me. Although you explained yourself on the bulky rear axle, that is my favorite bit. It represents the core of lego. Overcoming on problems, like the lack of certain parts. :thumbup:

Thanks! It's bulky indeed, but I like it too. Especially from below.. gear pr0n! :excited:

10 hours ago, 1980SomethingSpaceGuy said:

Well it goes as far as the small steering arm can go

Can you show a detailed picture of the steering mechanism?
Based on the current pictures i'm unable to reconstruct it.

13 hours ago, 1980SomethingSpaceGuy said:

making the rear train a bit bulky,

Loved the creative rear transmission. I would have never thought of it !

I am very fond of that rear axle solution, pure genius, I will have to give that a try sometime, maybe with some slight modifications even. Good work and thanks for sharing. 

11 hours ago, iLego said:

Loved the creative rear transmission. I would have never thought of it !

10 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

I am very fond of that rear axle solution, pure genius, I will have to give that a try sometime, maybe with some slight modifications even. Good work and thanks for sharing. 

Thanks! I guess that's the upside of a limited parts pool; I often lack "the piece", and I have to find another solution.
At the end of that build, I was completely out of 3L pins and axle pins. Forces you to be creative...

22 minutes ago, schraubedrin said:

That's an ingenious solution!
It took me embarrassingly ling to spot the 7L gear rack.

Yep, and 7 was not long enough, I needed 11. Thus the intrication of 2 red 2L beams on each side. This means the steering axis is no more rigid, it needs the upper and lower structural beams as a casing to keep it straight. :blush:
Also, I think it's the first time I put the gear rack vertically. Initially, that was to align the external holes of the rack with the steering hinges' pin, before I had to make the whole front train wider to better match the rear.

Edited by 1980SomethingSpaceGuy