Sign in to follow this  
MstrOfPppts

[Factions Ep. I] Hangar 37

*Your entry has earned 30XP*

When my parents were recruited by the Empire, old Flaren promised my father he'll take care of me. But he did not take me to his house, he took me to hangar 37 where a gang of his bounty hunters created their home as well as the base of operations. It was not much, but it was still comfortable. I helped preparing and cleaning their ships a good part of my childhood until one day I became a bounty hunter myself. It was a lot of hard and dangerous work but the most important thing was, I had friends. Something I have missed ever since leaving Tatooine which will always be my home …

xfBSepI-1.jpg

WOW! it's huge and most admire is the wall angle and radius, so fascinating, real hope to have some more view/pic for the build

Sweet building - love the curved hangar. When the build is this cool I begin to notice the details - I could use a little more story in the positioning of droids and minifigs or some other hidden details.. ;)

Thanks, glad you appreciate it!

Yes the curve is just 1x2 bricks under a little stress. I did a formula in excel to calculate the radius of the circle with a scope of x studs where x is 2 studs times number of bricks.
I then checked where the radius is closest to a whole number and it was 132 bricks. Radius was 42 studs. So this quarter of a hangar is 42 x 42 studs and uses 33 bricks in the second row.
I then figured that adding 15 studs to the diameter and 11 bricks to the quarter of the circle is also a nice fit on the studs on the ground, which is the outer wall of the hangar ...

I agree with the others that the wall shaping is spectacular. This is a such a clean, elegant build, with just the right amount of detail seamlessly woven into the larger structure of the piece. The roof detailing, stray tubes and greeble, and the few wall sections that break the monotony are all masterfully positioned and curated. Great build and proof that you don't need to overclutter your piece with fancy techniques and a myriad of exotic parts to make it look well designed and beautiful.

~Insectoid Aristocrat 

Fantastic build!!!

I like how there is details and items scattered about, but not too much to over fill the area.  The console is sweet in the back half, again, with all the gear and extra details.  There are quite a few really thought out items in there I've seen and haven't seen before.  It genuinely has a feel for a hangar from the Star Wars universe.  Great job on the curve as well!

Thank you for the math. I’ve been wanting to do something like this for a while (my commenor BH build from a while back was an attempt). I can’t imagine how many bricks you burned through. How did you do the top? I’d like to see how you filled the gaps around the curve if you have pics of it. 

Thanks for all the nice words. The roof is simply snotted with LBG bricks and different slopes are used to come as close to the walls as possible. The gaps (not larger than one stud) are then covered with 2x2 tan tiles. On the outer wall where you have to cover the gaps on the inner side of the circle, every second brick is covered with a 2x2 tan tile and in between it's a LBG 2x3 tile with 1x2 plates on each side, to make it go over the tan tiles and cover all the gaps… complicated? Not at all :)

I'm visiting two exhibitions in the next month and I'll try to upload some better and more images. I'll also take pictures when I tear the thing down of how the roof is made. And the MOC also has the other side with a vaporator and some Jawas, but it is not finished yet.

A quick calculation tells that for this build just a little over 800 1x2 tan bricks were used, which means I have enough for the whole thing, which is planned for the not so near future! :D

2 hours ago, MstrOfPppts said:

A quick calculation tells that for this build just a little over 800 1x2 tan bricks were used, which means I have enough for the whole thing, which is planned for the not so near future! :D

So you mean you have more than 2400 2x2 tan bricks ? *huh*

Do you buy them on bricklink or you take the hard path and buy x100 the same set ? :laugh:

No, I mean I have more than 3200 1x2 tan bricks. :P

Neither. Find yourself a LUG, get involved, help and be active and you'll find out there's more options than that. But here is not the place to discuss this ...

Lovely! 

I gather from the images that the "roof" comes off?  Any chance of additional images of how the roof is built and how you did the edges?