Digger of Bricks

[POLL] What's Your Favorite Action/Adventure Theme(s) of the 2000's?

Best Action/Adventure Theme(s) of the 2000's?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What's Your Favorite(s)?

• Adventurers' Dino Island & Orient Expedition
    • Aqua Raiders
    • Alpha Team
    • Agents/Agents 2.0
    • Dino 2010/Dino Attack
    • Exo-Force
    • Power Miners
    • Island Xtreme Stunts
    • None

So, what do you personally consider to be your favorite(s) and/or the best Action/Adventure Theme(s) of the 2000's? 

Share your thoughts and elaborations in both the poll and discussion topic here! :classic:

P.S. Also share your thoughts on your favorite Action/Adventure Themes of the 1990's and 2010's too!

Edited by Digger of Bricks

I've picked Exo-Force and Dino Attack. For Exo-Force, I been digging mech and robots, stuff like that though I didn't really give that theme much of a thought back then. It was later when I start exploring that theme I start to see that this theme does have some insane sets like The Mobile Devastator and Bridge Walker. Plus my love the mech and robots, that pretty much amazed me. Also the Jungle theme is a nice wave too! Overall, the aesthetic is darn good.

As for Dino Attack, I like that theme due to me seeing the commercial and seeing how savage it was!

On 2/25/2019 at 10:00 AM, JJ Tong (zfogshooterz) said:

As for Dino Attack, I like that theme due to me seeing the commercial and seeing how savage it was!

It certainly was a very different System-based playtheme compared to anything that came before or after the fact, as its tone was more akin to Bionicle.

Just now, Digger of Bricks said:

It certainly was a very different System-based playtheme compared to anything that came before or after the fact, as its tone was more akin to Bionicle.

Indeed. Now that you bring Bionicle up, I'll have to add that theme (Dino Attack) is also somewhat dark.

6 hours ago, JJ Tong (zfogshooterz) said:

Now that you bring Bionicle up, I'll have to add that theme (Dino Attack) is also somewhat dark.

If you look back at the theme's box art, it's almost like if Michael Bay directed how the look and feel of the line should be, as if the intention was for it to convey grimness, except it turned out comically bad in a rather cartoonish way. :def_shrug:

7476-1.jpg?200710180600

Exo-Force.

It was really neat. I always considered it like a space theme. The asian/manga/sentai style was very well executed.

6 minutes ago, Ambroise said:

I always considered it like a space theme.

Lego did once have a true mecha-centric Space theme with 1997's RoboForce, yet I still hope they'll revisit such a focus for a future in-house Space theme. :classic:

On 2/28/2019 at 4:57 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

If you look back at the theme's box art, it's almost like if Michael Bay directed how the look and feel of the line should be, as if the intention was for it to convey grimness, except it turned out comically bad in a rather cartoonish way. :def_shrug:

7476-1.jpg?200710180600

Yeah it does seem so indeed. Maybe if they tried the Bionicle Inika style vibe it might work? Because that is sure as grim.

Also! Thanks for adding Power Miners! If I could vote again I would add that too! Been loving that theme since I first saw it in 2010! It's a great concept, a worthy successor from Rock Raiders and aesthetically cool!

Edited by JJ Tong (zfogshooterz)

I'm so glad Lego got over its grimdark period of the late 2000s, with Inika, Dino Attack, violent Mars Mission, etc.  I'll take the cheeky cartoon villains of Nexo Knights and Ninjago any day.

8 hours ago, JJ Tong (zfogshooterz) said:

Also! Thanks for adding Power Miners! If I could vote again I would add that too!

Yeah, I'm so sorry I forgot it when I initially posted this poll, as that's one pretty major action/adventure theme to overlook compared to others. :sad:

8 hours ago, icm said:

I'm so glad Lego got over its grimdark period of the late 2000s, with Inika, Dino Attack, violent Mars Mission, etc.  I'll take the cheeky cartoon villains of Nexo Knights and Ninjago any day.

While I'll admit it was a bit much then, I wouldn't mind seeing that "grimdark" vibe applied to the villains of a future action/adventure theme, just as long as that theme's protagonists opposing them sit on the way opposite end of the spectrum for contrast.

On 3/2/2019 at 8:23 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Yeah, I'm so sorry I forgot it when I initially posted this poll, as that's one pretty major action/adventure theme to overlook compared to others. :sad:

No worries there! You can now say that there is an imaginary vote to the Power Miner section! :wink:

Edited by JJ Tong (zfogshooterz)

I voted for Adventurers and Alpha Team, two of the first themes I began exploring as I was branching out beyond Star Wars after emerging from my dark ages, and Exo-Force and Power Miners, two other themes I enjoy and picked up several sets from. Truth be told, lots of these appeal to me, but several of them I just didn’t collect much (or at all), simply for lack of resources, and too many themes to spread my meager funds around on.

That said, my hands-down favorite action-adventure theme in this timeframe would be Indiana Jones; I gather it’s excluded from the poll due to being an entertainment license and not a LEGO original, right? If that were here, it’d be my clear top pick.

4 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

That said, my hands-down favorite action-adventure theme in this timeframe would be Indiana Jones; I gather it’s excluded from the poll due to being an entertainment license and not a LEGO original, right? If that were here, it’d be my clear top pick.

As according to the context of this subforum we're under, correct. :classic:

4 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

As according to the context of this subforum we're under, correct. :classic:

I’d have thought it’d be fine to include simply as one theme out of many being discussed in a thread, and that it simply wouldn’t get any threads devoted specifically and entirely to it, myself, but... hey, it’s your poll; don’t let me tell you what to do!

:)

Though I like Agents a lot. I will have to go with the Adventures theme, manly for Orient Expedition. The theme had many cool structures that helped pave the way for one of my all time favorite themes, that being Indiana Jones.

On 3/12/2019 at 10:28 PM, Blondie-Wan said:

I’d have thought it’d be fine to include simply as one theme out of many being discussed in a thread, and that it simply wouldn’t get any threads devoted specifically and entirely to it, myself, but... hey, it’s your poll; don’t let me tell you what to do!

Well, despite not being a part of the poll, I think it's perfectly fine to discuss Indiana Jones or other comparable licensed themes respective to their similar in-house counterparts in the topic discussion, namely the in-house lines that fall under the context of this subforum. :classic:

I really think Bionicle shouldn't be excluded... It's still an original Action-Adventure theme, and I don't think it should be excluded just because it's constration. And It's clearly one of the best themes of the 2000's and one of the best of all time.

As far as my favourite system theme of the 2000's I have to go with Dino Attack. It's violent and mature theme was something that never came before or after it. The T1 Typhoon is probably the coolest LEGO Helicopter of all time. It was a perfect combination of cool vehicles and almost invincible Dinosaurs. Today's Jurassic World seems like it's for babies compared to Dino Attack.

I don't know if it counts as a action-adventure theme, but Racers is another great theme of the 2000's that doesn't receive as much attention as it really deserves.

13 minutes ago, Lego David said:

I really think Bionicle shouldn't be excluded... It's still an original Action-Adventure theme, and I don't think it should be excluded just because it's constration.

Well, as according to the context of this subforum we're under... :def_shrug:

16 minutes ago, Lego David said:

I don't know if it counts as a action-adventure theme, but Racers is another great theme of the 2000's that doesn't receive as much attention as it really deserves.

Yeah, discussion of Racers has all historically taken place in the Special LEGO Themes subforum, so hence why it isn't here. 

Sadly, I missed out on pretty much all the LEGO themes from 2000-2009 due to being in the military, then trying to get readjusted to civilian life after getting out, so I never was able to get any of the sets from any of these themes.

That being said, though, from the perspective of being an inveterate army builder, I'd have to say that the Alpha Team is my favorite out of all these, due to the fact that both the Alpha Team agents & OGEL minion torsos (particularly the red/black buttoned/clasped ones) make for great military uniforms (and ironically enough, I'm currently using the blue & black Alpha team torsos as well as the OGEL minion torsos for different branches of the same faction in my setting).

3 hours ago, Laura Beinbrech said:

I never was able to get any of the sets from any of these themes

You can just get them used off Bricklink or Ebay. It's not really that hard getting the sets you missed on. And this way, no matter if the theme is retired or not, it's still as easy to get from online as the new sets.

Edited by Lego David