Sign in to follow this  
raised

DB Cargo MaK / ABB 6400 in 1:45

It has been a while since I posted something new here, but don't worry, I have been building regardless, I've just been lurking a lot ;) 

Anyways, today I want to present my rendition of a MaK / ABB DE 6400 in DB Cargo design. Formerly the main diesel workhorse of the Nederlandse Spoorwegen (NS), nowadays a locomotive that also runs in Belgium and Norway, and which you can find even  in Poland. I've always had a soft spot for these bulky machines whose design esthetics are mainly following the principles of modularity and usefullness (meaning they aren't styled at all to begin with) and to be honest, I already build it twice, but never to full satisfaction.

I had several main goals while building this loco: Keeping it as closely scaled to 1:45, making sure the cab windows consist of 3 parts just like in the prototype (long live flags!), having it run on PFx Brick with it's own power, and hiding all the electrical components in such a way I didn't have to use any stickers for cover up. Also, due to the space available inside the loco, I knew I had to use the PF Lego Train Motor, which made doing proper shourding around the wheelsets a lot more difficult, since there is only one hole available in between the wheels. Thanks to a Lego Minifig Neck Bracket this turned out to be possible. 

In the end I think I managed to fullfill all objectives; I must however admit the loco only started to run properly after I bough a Lithium-ion rechargable 9V battery, because regular alkaline 9V batteries were emptied by the Lego PF train motor in less than 10 minutes. I never knew there was so little mAh in those blocks... Due to the way the frame is build it's actually a pretty stable locomotive, even though the hoods are only connected to the cab and only held in place by friction to keep them from wobbling. 

BTW, normally I model one particular number in the fleet, due to it for example having a specific name that reminds me of a town I used to live in. With the 6400 series this isn't really possible, since only several of them are named, and all of them after their drivers or people from within the company it runs for. (Acutally, three of them run with the same name as my grandfather, so maybe some day in the future it might become the 6407, 6434 or 6438!)

31682963478_0319d8fb69_c.jpg

NS 6400 #2 by raised, on Flickr

45555523511_e4e7c3c60e_c.jpg

NS 6400 #1 by raised, on Flickr

44830363844_c00fb283a0_c.jpg

NS 6400 #3 by raised, on Flickr

Hope you guys like it!

Edited by raised

This is a quality build. However I Iike to see some close up photos of motor decor and those three part side windows to fully appreciate what you built. Is that possible?

5 hours ago, Selander said:

This is a quality build. However I Iike to see some close up photos of motor decor and those three part side windows to fully appreciate what you built. Is that possible?

Ofcourse! See first below the shrouding and greebles of the motor, which have been altered a little bit (mostly the sandboxes) compared to this picture, to improve running conditions: 

34361709395_43d084e741_c.jpg

Wheel set by raised, on Flickr

And now the piece de resistance, the cab. Warning, it's a bit messy ;) 

30222130770_7f920f649c_c.jpg

Cab of 6400 - now with less clutter and more & clip by raised, on Flickr

21 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

WOW!!! *huh*:wub:

The locomotive is beautiful (the windscreen are too much for me!) and the diorama is something special: the little river to irrigate the fields is perfect! :thumbup:

18 hours ago, Feuer Zug said:

Good work. The locomotive is utilitarian, but well detailed. The scenery is sweet for such a locomotive.

Thanks both! I have to admit the old designs of MaK and ABB aren't really mothers prettiest. The Voith Gravita for example is an absolute beauty compared to the DE 6400 ;) However, it really had a lasting impression on me as the main workhorse for the NS, exactly because of the ultiritarian design it has. 

The diorama is part of a collab build we did with several Dutch 8-widers at Legoworld 2018 in Utrecht. I'm still planning to write a follow-up about this over at BMR, but for the time being you can have a look at our Flickr Group for more pictures :) 

Edited by raised

That locomotive is a thing of beauty. The cab is insane. I'm going to have to borrow that trick. There has got to be a way to move it away from clip snot, something for my todo list I suppose.

The way you attached the handrails is also clever and there are many little details (e.g., the studs in plates making up the underframe.

The landscape is also beautiful, looks like a great layout.

I just can say: really good work! ;-) A nice- looking engine.

And your way of presentation was so well-made! 

I look forward seeing more from you! :)