Lasse D

Video Review: Creator 31092 Helicopter Adventures - Disappointment and a Windscreen

The new LEGO 31092 Helicopter Adventure is a Creator 3:1 set that brings affordability to the small windscreen in transparent, which was previously only found in two Star Wars sets.

Unfortunately it does not seem to bring much else to the table. See my full review below.

Released in first half of 2019 it carries a price of roughly EUR 10 and contains 114 parts.

There are 3 booklets - one for each model. The last two only need 20 pages each for the tiny B-models.

The second B-model can be built in 3 minutes and is hardly worth mentioning. The third is a "power boat":

31092_3_1.jpg

I can kinda see what the idea was with the model, but it is very basic in every way.

31092_3_2.jpg

I do not recommend this set for people who are seeking a fun set for their children. It might be alright for parts, but it does not excel at neither functionality, realism, fun-to-build, nor playability.

Edited by Lasse D
Added images.

What do you actually expect from a 10 euro set?
For this price it has to be designed, produced, make artwork, pack, print manuals, distribute..

This is no review, it's a shameless slaughter.

I have had my eye on this set for awhile now, just waiting for a discount. Funny thing is I want it specifically for that windscreen and the green parts. As with most of these smaller Creator sets, I don't expect much and get them mostly for parts. I did find it odd that you were so negative towards TLG for even wasting their time making this set, given it isn't a great set but it is very small and very affordable, so I like that. Also I felt you rambled on quite a bit and seemed to be at a loss of words to express your disappointment towards the end of the video, regardless I appreciate your time doing this review. It helped me decide to get two of these soon, thanks again for your thoughts. 

I am glad you ask coinoperator. For 10 Euro and a professional product and design team I expect creativity and collaboration that where the parts of your main model allows you to create a finished product, such as:

31029: Also a helicopter, but with two great B-models (transport plane and container ship). Same MSRP. Much higher level of creativity.

31057: Again, also a helicopter with two great B-models. Again the B-models are a plane and a ship (or catamaran), but they both look great and are interestingly built.

4915: Same story: Main model is a helicopter, the B-models a planes. While I think the last model is rubbish, the first B-model is top class.

In other words. For 10 Euro LEGO has time and time again shown that they are capable of making great Creator 3:1 sets. The 31092 is not one of them :)

Last time we saw a $10 Creator 3:1 airplane set with worse B-models, it was in 2016 with 31042.

Meanwhile, Creator creature sets have great B-models even in the $5 and below range, such as 30542 from last year (although the Koala B-model is borderline) and 4915.

1 hour ago, Johnny1360 said:

I have had my eye on this set for awhile now, just waiting for a discount. Funny thing is I want it specifically for that windscreen and the green parts. As with most of these smaller Creator sets, I don't expect much and get them mostly for parts. I did find it odd that you were so negative towards TLG for even wasting their time making this set, given it isn't a great set but it is very small and very affordable, so I like that. Also I felt you rambled on quite a bit and seemed to be at a loss of words to express your disappointment towards the end of the video, regardless I appreciate your time doing this review. It helped me decide to get two of these soon, thanks again for your thoughts. 

I'm glad you found it useful :)

I must admit that I was very, very disappointed with this set. This comes after having build many of the 3:1 sets from 2018, many of which were extraordinary. Perhaps I should review those instead. The cute pug and pirate roller coaster make me happy just thinking about them.

I do agree, this set is a let down and pretty much crap, which is why I don't have it already. I very much enjoy these smaller sets as well and they are usually pretty decent. This one stinks for sure and reminds me of an Ideas set from a five year old child of proud parents. To boot it isn't even really a good value as inexpensive as it is, for a Creator set, that is why I will wait for a discount. My local Target store regularly has these sets for 20% off, that will make it a worthwhile purchase for me then.