Sign in to follow this  
Bornin1980something

Insectoids; are Zotoxians necessarily bad?

I am now building my first proper Lego space scene, with Benny's Space Squad, some small classic space items I found at an exhibition, and two crater plates, which amazingly cost me only £12 total (the plates, that is)!

However, I've lately decided I like the idea of giving them some aliens to interact with. I would like friendly aliens, as my scene is definitely built around exploration rather than conflict. I have lately developed a fascination with the unique Insectoids range from 1998. In Britain, the publicity portrayed them as evil alien invaders. Elsewhere, however, they were called Zotoxians (forgive any spelling error), and said to be the protagonists of the range.

My question is, can the Zotoxians in the Insectoids range be friendly aliens, or do they have to be antagonists to humans, or at least conflict based?

They can be whatever you want them to be...that's the beauty of not knowing the "official" story. Example: I played with Star Wars Lego long before I ever saw the movies. I knew some of the names, but had many of their roles backwards (stormtroopers were the good guys fighting Darth Vader, etc.) Looking back, I think it was more fun that way.

Back on topic, all I've heard about Insectoids was that their planet was invaded by giant bugs, so they used bug-shaped vehicles to blend in.

Zotaxians are the good guys/neutral faction trying to survive the hostile environment in which they find themselves.

~Insectoid Aristocrat 

The Insectoid storylines varied between countries. In the United States Mania Magazines, they were presented as creepy intergalactic mischief makers led by Gypsy Moth, while in most other countries they were variously called Zotaxians or Otopians and were presented as intergalactic refugees who settled on a planet variously called Armeron or Holox. This planet was inhabited by enormous alien Bilgen Bugs, so the refugees redesigned their ships as camouflage so they could collect Voltstones without having to fear Bilgen Bug attacks. Character names also varied between countries (even those that shared a common language), as was the norm in most themes prior to 2000.

2 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Character names also varied between countries (even those that shared a common language), as was the norm in most themes prior to 2000.

That they did! Almost no one ever notices that my name is an homage to a character from the theme, as the theme was my absolute favorite growing up. 

~Insectoid Aristocrat 

Edited by Dannylonglegs
Elucidation