Dragunov2

10265 - Ford Mustang Creator Expert: MODS

I made a small modification to get a smooth flat hood. The problem is that more printed white tiles with blue stripes seem to be needed.

It's possible to get around that by stacking plates and a tile, rotate them through 90 degrees and attach them with a bracket 1x2. The width of the stripe matches exactly the height of a plate. I had to replace the black 2x2 round tile and dish in the engine with a 1x1 round tile to make room, though. So if you are into detailed engines this one probably isn't for you. :wink: 

Mustang1.jpg  Mustang2.jpg

I prefer the 1966 Fastback style vs the set released 1967 full fastback...therefore, I modded the rear to reflect this preference.

I also made a few more changes...I added/lowered the rocker and skirts all around, including lowering the wheel wells.

10265.png.a2e23e391ffc61fa44cf21f9dd360ba9.png

@jfr4n5en the rear end looks great - please could you let me know what you did to mod the rear like that?  Which extra parts did you need?

Thank you very much in advance :)

@Paknaloid Here is an overview of how I modded the rear.  First of all, no change to roof and B & C pilars.  As for the rear glass, if you are familiar with the front windshield design of the 10248 Ferrari, I used a similar design...with the glass mounted on hinges, and it simply leaning against the roof line.  I then attached the decklid to the rear glass in the same manner as the base instructions.  This glass & decklid assembly are attached to an all new mount point of 4 (#2434) parts (that are built up on a 2x8 brick on the back of the trunk floor).

Also, I widened the decklid by 1 each side, and replaced smooth plates to be rounded plates at end. Finally, I built a simple horizontal surface outboard of the decklid, that is mounted on a angle plate (#21712).

I may have oversimplified some of this, but hopefully this (and images) point you in the right direction.

Anyone tried converting the Mustang into a 'Sport Wagon'?

13925435541_54ee41fb7d_b.jpg

12354855945_2d2389ff16_b.jpg

34690070180_7ee0ce0f0d_b.jpg

Edited by BrickWild

On 6/17/2019 at 8:10 PM, Nightfall said:

I did also some Modification to build the Shelby GT500 "Eleanor":

48055863616_80581c1eed_b.jpg

More pictures in the album.

@Nightfall Do you have any more detailed photos of how you achieved some of the body panels as I'm after building something similar. Thanks

Edited by Nord3r

Sorry for the late post. I am on vacation right now and don't have more pictures. 

Which parts do you exactly mean?

I bought this set too and was positive suprised of the quality of the build. But a bit disappoinment about the printwork of the blue stripe on the white tiles and the grey stripe too. And an big miss of the sparkplugs of the V8. There were only 4 instead of 8 as it should be. And I didn't like the color of the wheels. All parts which has a sticker, changed with printed tiles of steindrucker. Why stickers :cry_sad: ?
I started to modify it a little to mine own taste and pic's say more than 1000 words.

The original vs modified. The stripes are better, because of the bad qualtiy of printing. And white wheels looks so much better with the car:

img_6023.jpg

Also a german plate on it which could excist:

img_6565.jpg

And the mod which should be done by Lego itself, 8 red sparkplugs instead of 4 black ones.

img_6566.jpg

The grey bad printed stripe gone and better look of the white wheels, which looks in mine opnion much better.

img_6567.jpg

What to do with the extra 1x1 round tile?

img_6568.jpg

In EU an USA car is expensive with his fuel, so most of them drive at lpg :grin: .

img_6569.jpg

This one is from mine friend, which liked mine mod too.

img_6570.jpg

Special for him and sub in the back with his favorite food :moar: .

img_6572.jpg

Edited by BillytheKid

This is a great set looking forward to building mine real soon. The mods everyone here has shared really help improve the appearance of the car.

I can't decide how I want to build my set. My initial thought is either a lowered version with modern mods like a fuel injection engine conversation. Maybe going the opposite direction and making it full drag with big/little tires and a huge engine. My biggest challenge would be which wheel/tire combo to use if I chose the drag version.

Anyone have any input or suggestions on parts I could use to achieve either one of these ideas? Guess I'll have to start building to see if any of this is even possible.

On 8/20/2019 at 12:05 AM, ScaleCarModels said:

This is a great set looking forward to building mine real soon.

I really love it.

On 7/21/2019 at 8:44 PM, Nightfall said:

Sorry for the late post. I am on vacation right now and don't have more pictures. 

Which parts do you exactly mean?

That’s fine! Sorry for late reply I got distracted with some other projects. 

Im just recreating an Eleanor mustang for a project and wonder if you had any additional photos or digital files on how you created the bodywork for it, such as the bumpers and bonnet. 

Thanks

On 9/28/2019 at 9:30 AM, Nord3r said:

That’s fine! Sorry for late reply I got distracted with some other projects. 

Im just recreating an Eleanor mustang for a project and wonder if you had any additional photos or digital files on how you created the bodywork for it, such as the bumpers and bonnet. 

Thanks

Sadly I just have the pictures I made and the Mustang ist stored at the moment due to reorganizing my LEGO stuff.

On 10/4/2019 at 1:41 PM, Nightfall said:

Sadly I just have the pictures I made and the Mustang ist stored at the moment due to reorganizing my LEGO stuff.

Ok no worries. I’ll have to do some experimenting ! 

How did you lower the fenders? I've been puzzled for days :pir_wacko:

On 5/28/2019 at 2:53 PM, jfr4n5en said:

I prefer the 1966 Fastback style vs the set released 1967 full fastback...therefore, I modded the rear to reflect this preference.

I also made a few more changes...I added/lowered the rocker and skirts all around, including lowering the wheel wells.

10265.png.a2e23e391ffc61fa44cf21f9dd360ba9.png

Do you have these pics anywhere else?

On 3/14/2019 at 3:51 PM, Dragunov2 said:

First modification arrived today, package ordered on Bricklink on a Canadian Store, which had 12 brake discs (LEGO Ideas Caterham Seven 620R (21307)), bought them all, so I still have brake discs for two cars, u never know for the future....

For such a high performance car as the Mustang, AND with the supercharger installed, the car begs to receive brake discs instead of drums. I made some pics of it...

The old drums
28vvn2c.jpg

Brake discs (12 pieces, so three cars)
2irmamg.jpg

After conversion
33m91q8.jpg
iven34.jpg
34sl0sl.jpg

But one other question, how did the guy solve this (in red circle)?

2a5yjhv.jpg

I guess he replaced the 4 grey 1x2 brackets with 3 1x2 white brackets, but then u still have 1x1 brackets, which don't exist in Dark Blue.

Somebody a solution?

I already made this with the help of @BrickWild (he made the car and I ONLY altered the back), but I changed the color to Dark Blue of the 1x1 brackets

ra0ps2.jpg

On 8/5/2019 at 8:05 AM, BillytheKid said:

And the mod which should be done by Lego itself, 8 red sparkplugs instead of 4 black ones.

img_6566.jpg

Which parts numbers?

Thanks!

On 10/17/2020 at 7:29 PM, Dragunov2 said:

Which parts numbers?

Thanks!

Those parkplugs ordered in darkred and the rest it was just puzzle to get it right. I remembered I used plates jumper 1x2 and 1x3.