Dragunov2

10265 - Ford Mustang Creator Expert: MODS

Hi,

I know the set is not officialy released yet, but I already think about the mods I can do to the car, to give it a even more finished look, although the car is already great on its own...

The first mods I certainly wanna do, are the followings ones:

• Give the car a brake and gas pedal, no clutch, cause it's an automatic (already did this on the Beetle, using the same technic as the Caterham, but with a clutch peda aswell)
  • Give the car decent looking brake discs (I wonder those used on the Caterham can be used)
  • Finish the trunk so u don't see the technic used to change the height of those rear axle

15 hours ago, Dragunov2 said:

The first mods I certainly wanna do, are the followings ones:

• Give the car decent looking brake discs

AFAIK, the Mustang had drum brakes, and discs had only been an upgrade option for the front.

But nevertheless, I'd also like to see that done and it would be a great addition especially to the look of the “customised“ version.

2 hours ago, Dragunov2 said:

But then they used the wrong color for the drum brake 

Yes it should be rust colored, or a raw cast iron color. Come to think of it that tan color isn't really far off. I actually had a 66' dark blue Mustang back in the seventies (original paint) and although it wasn't a fastback or even particularly fast, that is what color the brake drums were. That was one of my favorite cars, very dependable, mine didn't have that stripe either and wasn't really a hotrod just a good car, fond memories for sure. Seemed like I was always putting clutches in it though, got to where I could do it by myself in less than 2 hours.

Maybe for the front I gonna give the car brake discs, if those of the Caterham fit of course and the rear maybe still on those original drums

Ordered some black rubber belts to replace the white ones and maybe attach one to the supercharger aswell, need to have a look how it's attached in real life, cause now u have a pulley with no belt

I got mine and this is what I did:

RHD Converstion:

46611880574_26a56939ef_b.jpg

Grey bevel gears for brake rotors:

33459341598_181e394cbe_b.jpg

Amber turn signals:

46611885664_ae7c8086a5_b.jpg

I've ended up making some substantial modifications to the add-on components, mainly to dial back the appearance and make the suped-up version look a little less bonkers. I've made the spoiler two studs in depth rather than three, and changed the attachment so it closes fully with the spoiler attached. I've taken a plate of height out of the front splitter so it doesn't sit quite as low. And I've taken a plate of height out of the supercharger blower as well. I'll add some pics when I can, but the effect is subtle and helps to make the add-ons look better integrated to the car. It also looks a lot better this way if you're just adding the splitter and spoiler without also adding the supercharger and side exhausts.

@BrickWild What else did u change to the rear end?

...and a better rear end similar to what Bruce Lowell did.

3 hours ago, Vindicare said:

@BrickWild If you’re going for accuracy, the amber lights shouldn’t be there. The taillights are all red. 

Seems to depend upon the year. For 1967 they should be all red, but earlier models had the amber outer lights.

MustangTaillights-Gen1.jpg

14 hours ago, Dragunov2 said:

@BrickWild What else did u change to the rear end?

I was going to but realized I didn't have enough pieces.

2 hours ago, BrickMonkeyMOCs said:

Seems to depend upon the year. For 1967 they should be all red, but earlier models had the amber outer lights.

MustangTaillights-Gen1.jpg

I've heard that a few car enthusiasts have made their own amber lenses out of resin in a silicone mold formed by the original part.

Others have converted the reverse lights to turn signals and then installed aftermarket reverse lights.

On 3/6/2019 at 11:54 AM, BrickWild said:

Mine should come in less than a week.

I am planning on building this in RHD with amber turn signals and a better rear end similar to what Bruce Lowell did.

47224904782_f31c6ce74a_b.jpg

And can u post a link what Bruce did to the car?

Sweet!

I wonder how he fixed this, I see 4 times 1x1 slope in Dark Blue and 4 times 1x2 white slope.

But what's underneath?

Edited by Dragunov2

I imagine it’s the same as stock - just with the 1x1 and 1x2 slopes instead of plates...? So attached in the same way.

But he doesn't use the grey pieces anymore it seems, maybe plates or something, don't know.

If I had an accurate lxf file, I could try this

First modification arrived today, package ordered on Bricklink on a Canadian Store, which had 12 brake discs (LEGO Ideas Caterham Seven 620R (21307)), bought them all, so I still have brake discs for two cars, u never know for the future....

For such a high performance car as the Mustang, AND with the supercharger installed, the car begs to receive brake discs instead of drums. I made some pics of it...

The old drums
28vvn2c.jpg

Brake discs (12 pieces, so three cars)
2irmamg.jpg

After conversion
33m91q8.jpg
iven34.jpg
34sl0sl.jpg

But one other question, how did the guy solve this (in red circle)?

2a5yjhv.jpg

I guess he replaced the 4 grey 1x2 brackets with 3 1x2 white brackets, but then u still have 1x1 brackets, which don't exist in Dark Blue.

Somebody a solution?

I already made this with the help of @BrickWild (he made the car and I ONLY altered the back), but I changed the color to Dark Blue of the 1x1 brackets

ra0ps2.jpg

Edited by Dragunov2