The six wheeled Tyrrell P34 was the first F1 model I built back in 2006, using a mix of Technic and System LEGO parts. Since then, I have made several F1 cars covering about three decades, from late 60s to early 90s, all in 1:8 scale. Due to the small front wheels of the P34, the compact front suspension of the first model was working, but was not as accurate as I would have liked.
That’s why last year I decided to evaluate the possibility of building a detailed and fully working front suspension for this iconic car, taking advantage of all newest parts introduced by LEGO, as well as old and discontinued ones to reproduce this state of the art model in a bigger scale. In fact, the 22969 rims and 32296 big tires that I’ve always used as rear wheels in all previous models, in this case are acting as the “small” front wheels, in a fully independent double front suspension. There is a single central anti-roll bar that reacts to the displacement of the two front axles. At the same time, the steering rack is directly acting on the front axis, while the movement is then transferred to the second axis through a pivot and levers.
As a result, the overall model scale went up to 1:5, and this lead to a completely brick built rear wheel concept, with an internal rigid frame to keep the cylindrical shape and support the model weight without distortion, and an outer layer of rubber elements.
In such a large model, I decided to also include some RC features: XL-motor for driving, servo-motor for shifting, M-motor for steering. All of them are controlled with a powerful BuWizz unit.
The compact 4 speed gearbox is a reinforced mod of Paul J Boratko III’s solution with the new rotary selector, while the shift drum is based on the concept MK II of P-LEGO, adapted to stay within the side prismatic fuel reservoir.
Obviously, inside the cockpit, the steering wheel rotates while steering, and the shift lever moves as well while shifting.
Other features are the various brake cooling systems (through NACA intakes and hoses for the front axis, and dedicated ducts for intermediate and rear wheels), a 90 degree V8 fake engine with 0.5 stud pitch between banks, air intake cones, two side water cooling radiators, three oil cooling radiators (two paired with water ones, one on the rear wing support), rear suspension with big 11.5L shock absorbers and stabilizing bar, side windows in the cockpit, and more.
Dimensions: 798x389x188 mm
Weight: 5.3 kg
Parts: about 6’000

53003651_825745734441959_382782412578357

52582536_825745824441950_322039674517533

52995400_825745771108622_494465207814953

52508101_825745607775305_825094826802911

51800991_825745554441977_768698520483712

51243258_810933052589894_119668883626079

51492238_817132191969980_110634457714655

Wow! Just wow. Everything from the prints to the rear brick-built wheels look amazing!

Incredible, what a huge model and very well done as well, I do always have a little giggle though when I see this race car. I think you have really nailed it with the scale and looks though. One question, do you happen to know how many of those rubber pieces are included for each wheel? They look great. 

jaw on floor. When i bought your original instructions i was very impressed with the front wheel assembly creativity - this is equally impressive building at such a large scale

8 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

One question, do you happen to know how many of those rubber pieces are included for each wheel? They look great. 

Each wheel is made with 753 parts in total: 375 of them are rubber connectors.

Wow, you're pushing the same concept of technic to new horizons. Now you MUST re-build all the other cars!

Great Scasspone indeed!

What in the world possessed you to build it this big? I really like those rear tires made of rubber bits.

Interesting thing: when you look at the close-up picture of the rear wheel and scroll up and down. it looks like the wheel is moving. :wink:

7 hours ago, pagicence said:

What in the world possessed you to build it this big?

I simply focused on the front suspension...

P34 front suspension detail.jpg

Not to even mention how brilliant this thing looks like, those back wheels are beyond my comprehension of how to even conceive the idea. You must be some kind of mechanical genius or something. This is out of this world and I'm not even a fan of formulas.

39 minutes ago, mandylion7 said:

Not to even mention how brilliant this thing looks like, those back wheels are beyond my comprehension of how to even conceive the idea. You must be some kind of mechanical genius or something. This is out of this world and I'm not even a fan of formulas.

Thanks mate: I had the basic idea years ago, so during the design of this MOC the rear wheels were not a problem at all... there are many other aspects that were much more challenging!

As you can see in this WIP picture, it's very simple... :innocent2:

P34 rear wheel.jpg

Your models are always so beautiful that it is a pity that the Lego does not have a tyre suitable for the back
Despite the great
inventiveness, the rear wheel clashes a little bit with compared to the complex beauty of this model enriched with more details than the younger sister in scale 1:8...

...but...

...on the other hand, the rear wheel built piece by piece highlights your absolute genius! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

WOOOOW incredible building !!

More incredible than all your other cars imo.

Do you plan to make instructions for it, like for the other ones ? In this case, i would be certainly the first one to buy it !!

Edited by come2me

On 3/3/2019 at 9:38 AM, come2me said:

Do you plan to make instructions for it, like for the other ones ? In this case, i would be certainly the first one to buy it !!

Thanks mate: I'm not planning to produce any building instructions for this model, but I'll do again soon with the others in 1:8 scale :wink:

This is an insanely inspired model...incredible work..I remember Jody Scheckter driving the real thing back in 1976..(he incidentally is now the owner of a firm in England that makes buffalo mozzarella cheese!)

Again I have to say that this is a mind-blowing build.. the back tyres really are a stroke of genius!

Regards

Kenny.

On 3/1/2019 at 11:45 AM, RoscoPC said:

THe wheel is still complex to me. I wouldn'T even know where to start with this. You're just a genius, that's it. Well done indeed!

What an absolute MASTERPIECE!!! This would be perfect for Jody Schekter's mancave

Rosco, you really made this one look exactly like the real thing. any plans for other historic F1's? (please say Sharknose...:innocent:)

1 hour ago, Stimy said:

Rosco, you really made this one look exactly like the real thing. any plans for other historic F1's? (please say Sharknose...:innocent:)

Sharknose is in my wish list too, but I'm waiting for the right inspiration...

Next one will be unveiled soon, to celebrate Ayrton :wink:

Please be a Lotus 97T as I've got your MP4/4 and FW14B and this will complete the holy trinity of F1 cars for me

2 hours ago, Seasider said:

Please be a Lotus 97T as I've got your MP4/4 and FW14B and this will complete the holy trinity of F1 cars for me

:laugh_hard: nope: you have to wait again...