Sign in to follow this  
AshKetchum

Display case for large ships?

Hello everyone,

I have a dilemma I recently moved and need to find a new way to display large sets like the Brick Bounty.

I measured it around 24" (61cm) long by about 24" (61cm) high. I allowed a couple of inches for extra space, you don't want it stuck in there tight.

I originally had it on a bookcase with adjustable shelves, but this time i'm looking for a glass enclosure. We might be getting a cat, so it will likely knock all the sets on display onto the floor. Hence we're looking to have it in some kind of enclosed space.

I'd rather get something from a local store, as in the past most time anything glass is shipped, it usually breaks.

My budget is anything up to (or around (a bit over is okay)) $150USD (about 130 euros), preferably I'd like to keep it under $100USD (or 88 euros).

My research so far points toward something from Ikea, the large billy bookcase with glass doors seems promising, the good thing about it is that since it's so big I could probably fit many other sets in it as well. The bad part is that the middle door handle part (to open the booksheld) blocks a bit of the view. C'est la vie.I really liked the skinny one I don't think it will fit, the depth and width measurements are too small maybe. 

The Deltof display cases look nice, but not sure if the width and depth measurements will fit a large ship. The Fabikor series display case seems like it would fit, but you probably wouldn't have any other room for many other sets.

A large acrylic cube enclosure would work fine on a table/dresser, but I just can't find any acrylic enclosure that size.

I'm open to any suggestions from other members that have ships in display cases. If anybody could post pictures so I could see what it looks in real life application I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for your help and taking the time to respond to this super specific question.

Many Thanks!

Maybe this is a stupid idea, but couldn't you buy a 30 gallon aquarium, then flip it on its head? 

Logic:

24"x24"x12" (maybe you'd want something bigger?) = 6912 in^3

6912 in^3 * 0.004329 gal/in^3 = 29.9 gal.

If you bought a 30 gallon with the right dimensions, you could get away with a very cheap (<$100) solution. Most fish tanks have clear bottoms, so if you put it upside down over the ship, it just might look nice.

Good luck!

MAC

Sometime in the past I stumbled over iDisplayIt, a manufacturer of acrylic boxes, alot of them specifically made for large Lego sets.

They already offer a display case for the Brick Bounty.

Edited by GeoBrick
Added some info

6 hours ago, GeoBrick said:

Sometime in the past I stumbled over iDisplayIt, a manufacturer of acrylic boxes, alot of them specifically made for large Lego sets.

They already offer a display case for the Brick Bounty.

This is an excellent resource and a great find. Great job GeoBrick!

MAC

17 hours ago, GeoBrick said:

I stumbled over iDisplayIt

This is amazing. I looked for something like this for a very long time now. And they have a reasonable price. Thank you for letting us know!

Thanks for all the responses guys. I've decided I'm just going to go with an ikea solution. The main reasoning is that it can hold more sets in and take up less space in the house.

This one looks nice and the shelves are adjustable:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00396416/

or for a little more storage area:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20323805/

Although I would probably put some heavy books on the bottom shelves to avoid tipping over.

The other ones look reasonable, too:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80269122/

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00409032/

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00363171/

I'd rather get one large one than multiple small cases, oh well, I guess I just have to go to the store and compare what they look like side by side..

Thanks for all the help everyone! 

Yeah, I'm on the lookout for a larger product as well.

I had my eye on your first Ikea link as well, but I feel its not broad enough for me. I'd like to find one that can hold a large baseplate (48x48 studs).

The best solution budget-wise, is to go to a shop that make glass display cases, give them the desired dimensions and ask them for an offer. I have done that exercise in the past (while also looking for a fiberglass solution - waaaay more expensive than the set itself).