derEselausErgste

Avalonia Mini-Challenge: Game of Thrones

Fiat iustitia, et pereat mundus

or in other words:

Eye to Eye

Ye old oaktree at the edge of accorn wood has been the back-cloth for jurisdiction for centuries. Here, within the shades of it‘s green leaves (at least those the storms of generations have left), generations of FitzAlans have spoken right, prosecuted the guilty, absolved the innocent.

As his ancestors did, so does Sir Alan FitzAlan, Earl of Pomfries, Baron Huxstable, Grand Knight of the Order of St.Helens, Canon of Osprey Abby and Marcher Lord oft he Norteastern Borders of Avalonia. Every second Tuesday after the new moon Sir Alan hears the cases of his tributaries, and he exercises the Kings Law, written down in numerous codes and nourished by those who claim to be true fellows of Avalonia.

Allover the realm Sir Alan is well known to be a fair and righteous referee, and there are more than just a few that wish Sir Alan would become the new King of Avalonia.

Today is Tuesday, the second after the new moon.

img_1232p3kv2.jpg

Sir Henry:        This will be the last case for today M’Lord, a peasant caught when hunting down a red deer.

Sir Alan:          I see Henry, I see.

he turns to the convened in front of him

Who will declaim the suit?

Huntsman:      That’s me Mylord.

Sir Alan:          And You are?

Huntsman:      Walther Ingram Mylord, Master of Mylords pack of hounds and topmost hunter.
                        We know each other quite well Mylord.

Sir Alan:          I know that we know each other well Walther, of course we do. But the law demands to ask this question.

Huntsman:      I understand Mylord. Please forgive me and my ignorance.

Sir Alan:          Nothing to forgive Walther. So what is your accusation?

Huntsman:      Mylord, this

he points to a young man in rotten clothing just in front of the judges table

this is Eofric of Barnsville, a peasant and free man from Mylords possessions. I caught him when he tried to kill wild game in the depth of Herborne Forest.

Sir Henry:        M‘Lord, Herborne Forest belongs to Osprey Abby, as do the shooting rights out there.

Sir Alan:          Thank You Henry.
                        Walther, You are totally sure about your accuse?

Huntsman:      I am Mylord. I saw it with my own eyes, and my oldest son Jeremy who accompanied me saw it too. Here I have bow and quiver, those I have taken from Eofric in the very moment I saw what he tried to do.

Sir Alan:          I see Walther, I see.

Huntsman:      I have to admit Mylord, this bow is more a joke than a weapon, more frightening the archer himself than anybody elso. You see, it’s nearly broken. Even hunting a squirrel will be fruitless with this.

Sir Alan:          I see Walther, I see.

turning to Sir Henry

The case seems to be quite clear so far, doesn’t it?

Sir Henry:        It does M’Lord, without a question.

Sir Alan:          Well, this all does not sound good, not at all.

Peasant:         Please hear me Mylord, I am not gui…

Sergeant:        DONTT YOU DARE TTO TTALK TTO OUR LORD FARMER SCUMM

Sir Alan:          It’s allright Sergeant, let him speak freely.
                        I give you my ear Eofric.

Peasant:         I beg for mercy Mylord. I am a poor man, and the harvest had been poor also the last years. Nevertheless Omery, the prior of Osprey Abby, persists on his tithe, and now we ow nothing to be ours anymore, me and my family. We live at the edge of starvation Mylord. I just wanted to feed my families hungry mouths.

Sir Henry:        He is not wrong M’Lord. Omery is well known for his greedyness and his disinterest of the commons needs.

Sir Alan:          Thank You Henry. I heared about before, and it is just a shame.

Peasant:         Mylord, the prior…

Sergeant:        DONTT SPEAK WITHOT PERMISSIONN WIGHTT

Sir Alan:          Sergeant, please!

Peasant:         Mylord, prior Omery is no friend of us farmers, nor is he a righteous landlord. His bailiffs are cruel, even more cruel than a hostile warband, and they squeeze out from us whatever they can.
                       Mylord, all we wish is to live as free man under Your rulership.

Sir Henry:        M’Lord, Eofric and his kin have been loyal subjects for decades, so far as I know.

Sir Alan straightens up behind the judges table

Eofric, this

he points tot he big code on the desk

this ist he Kings Law, written down in centuries, sublime and righteous.
                        Do You know what it says about hunting the Kings deer without permission?

Peasant:         Mylord, I…

Sergeant:        SHUTT UP WEASEL CRAPP

Sir Alan:          Sergeant?

Eofric, the punishment for doing so is death – and You know about it, don’t You?

Peasant:         Mylord, i did not…

Sergeant:        ONN YOUR KNEESS YOU SONN OF A DAWDLER

Sir Alan:          Sergeant!

Death is what the Kings Law orders for such a misdeed, not more, not less!

Peasant:         Mylord, please…

Sergeant:        Sss…

Sir Alan:          It‘s allright Sergeant, it’s allright.

We all are Avalonians. Lords and Servants, Knights and Farmers, Priests and Crafters. We all are free man, united under our King, ruled by the Law our ancestry left for us. Our Law is what distinguishes us from our barbaric enemies from the outside of our beloved Avalonia.

The Law gives us shelter – and we have to give shelter to the Law!

But – and that is most important – the Law is the guardian of the people, not their jail! Every Lord who speaks right has to respect the backdrops – and he has to respect the subjects. Obviously it is a crime to hunt down the Kings deer. But isn’t it a crime also to plunder those who work hard all day? Isn’t it a crime to run to                              fat whilst those who serve us live in distress?

I TELL YOU IT IS!

Stand up Eofric.

Peasant:         Mylord…

Sergeant:        SSTAND UPP DISSHONOURABLE

Sir Alan:          Sergeant…

In the name of the King, hear my verdict.

I, Alan FitzAlan, by the power invested in me, declare, that Eofric of Barnsville has been found guilty of trying to brake the law, killing the Kings deer in Herborne Forest. As the culprit has been a man without blame before, and as he has always been loyal to Lord, King and Country, I herewith forgive his deed and assure him                   of his Majestys grace. This will be written down, and it shall be acquainted to everybody within my territories.

Eofric, You may leave as a free man.

Oh, just wait a moment…

he turns to Sir Henry

Henry, dont’t You think this foul bag of a poacher has been looking envious upon his rightful Lord during this hearing, hasn’t he?

Sir Henry:        I’m not quite sure about it M’Lord, at least I can not swear to such behavior. If he did so, I think he did without evil will!

Sir Alan:          Thank You Henry. Believe me, he did, as well as he was talking unseemly about prior Omery. This behaviour we can not accept from mud eating subjects like him. A Lord is a Lord, and a Servant is a servant, isn’t it?

Sir Henry:        As You say it M’Lord.

Sergeant!

Sergeant:        YESSS MYLORD!

Sir Alan:          Take him an eye…

img_12307jj1d.jpg

img_12269ska2.jpg

Edited by derEselausErgste

hahaha really nice vignette! I'm unsure about the completely tiled floor in different colours and I don't totally get wht the skeleton is doing there, yet I love the statue with the scale in its hand. Though my fav must be the sergeant lol :laugh: Oh and that 'looking envious, take him an eye' thing at the end is a very unexpected twist! Nice entry overall, well done! :classic::thumbup:

10 minutes ago, en_zoo said:

hahaha really nice vignette! I'm unsure about the completely tiled floor in different colours and I don't totally get wht the skeleton is doing there

The skeleton is a tribute to my wife - she asked for one, and as there was now space left on the vignette itself (which is quite crowded already as I think) I decided it had to stay on the base :wink:

Just now, derEselausErgste said:

The skeleton is a tribute to my wife - she asked for one, and as there was now space left on the vignette itself (which is quite crowded already as I think) I decided it had to stay on the base :wink:

hahaha fair enough! :laugh:

Very nice tree.  interesting base.  The landscaping is good, the tiled ground looks a little off but nice job overall.  Nice figs and story too.  

I´m not sure if I like the base or not. It´´s really great, but it I feel it draw the attention from the moc though! The moc it self is great! Now you just have to get Gimp and start edit your photos so the background is clean. 

Well done!

Nice story, and I like the foliage. The tree going down the edge of the base is a nice touch, though like dG, I'm not sure about the level of detail in the base, as it almost overpowers the rest of the build. Good work!

Just now, de Gothia said:

I´m not sure if I like the base or not. It´´s really great, but it I feel it draw the attention from the moc though! The moc it self is great! Now you just have to get Gimp and start edit your photos so the background is clean. 

Well done!

Thanks a lot. 
I've installed Gimp, but i have to admit the functions are a little bit...overwhelming for s.o. who is just used to Excel and Powerpoint. Well, I'll do my very best (just to say it with "Dinner for One")

2 minutes ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

Nice story, and I like the foliage. The tree going down the edge of the base is a nice touch, though like dG, I'm not sure about the level of detail in the base, as it almost overpowers the rest of the build. Good work!

Also thanks!

The Donkey also sees the problems caused by the base itself. Sometimes less is more. I will respect this for my next entrys.

Nice work!  The tree looks really good, and I especially like the statue with the scales of justice.  It's a very nice touch for the scene.  The skeleton on the side of the build is hilarious too.  I like the idea of the Avalonian colors on the side, but as others have mentioned, it's kind of busy.  Not bad, but a little busy.  I do like the book down in the front.  I'm a little confused by the brown tiles... is the area supposed to be paved?  I ask because it's hard to tell in a 16x16 build if it's part of a larger paved area or it's supposed to be packed earth.  The story is really good up until it takes a dark turn at the end, which is a little odd for modern times, but is probably quite realistic for the medieval day, so it works!  Great job!

Very fitting statue for this scene :thumbup: The tall tree is well built and it's fun seeing what little details you incorporated in the border :classic: