Ecclesiastes

[PRESS RELEASE] 10265 - Ford Mustang Creator Expert

Managed to pick one up at the LEGO store today surprisingly there were actually 3 left on the shelf, the employee did say that was all they had though. Lucky enough to get the gifts as well keychain, bumper sticker and my favorite Unikitty Roller Coaster Cart that doesn't even go on the Roller Coaster track pieces. 

So far I am quite impressed with the set, stickers are minimal, mostly different license plates and engine compartment. I also was glad to see numbered bags, it seems like all the sets I have bought lately aren't. 

Anyway good luck to everyone trying to get this set, I am sure it is going to be a hot seller, it is just everything a great LEGO set should be. 

Edit;  Something I also noticed, is that in the instruction manual, the parts in each step that appear in the call-out are highlighted with a red outline on the main build portion. I have never noticed this before and wonder if it is something we will see a lot more of in the future, it is handy just not sure if it's really necessary. It definitely helps me as I have a problem seeing where some parts go, with dark blue anyway. 

Edited by Johnny1360
Added some stuff

On 2/24/2019 at 11:39 PM, Dragunov2 said:

Now I wait for the Designer Video

Here you go:

Well, kind of. It's labelled a 'designer review' video, as it's presented by Carl Merriam rather than the set designer Mike Psiaki. No explanation for this, but it is worth watching for the comparison between the final set and an earlier smaller scale version of the Mustang.

8 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

Managed to pick one up at the LEGO store today surprisingly there were actually 3 left on the shelf, the employee did say that was all they had though. Lucky enough to get the gifts as well keychain, bumper sticker and my favorite Unikitty Roller Coaster Cart that doesn't even go on the Roller Coaster track pieces. 

So far I am quite impressed with the set, stickers are minimal, mostly different license plates and engine compartment. I also was glad to see numbered bags, it seems like all the sets I have bought lately aren't. 

Anyway good luck to everyone trying to get this set, I am sure it is going to be a hot seller, it is just everything a great LEGO set should be. 

Edit;  Something I also noticed, is that in the instruction manual, the parts in each step that appear in the call-out are highlighted with a red outline on the main build portion. I have never noticed this before and wonder if it is something we will see a lot more of in the future, it is handy just not sure if it's really necessary. It definitely helps me as I have a problem seeing where some parts go, with dark blue anyway. 

I noticed that with the Winter Village fire station last year. the parts in each step were outlined in green. First time I saw it, I was looking for when the green plate had been used, and wondering why there wasn't one in the bags. It's a good idea, that's for sure.

Just finished building this. I’m truly amazed. Sadly I only own the T1 Camper Van, so I can’t really compare it to the more recent cars. They knocked it out of the park with this build. It looks fantastic, the details are spot on. I’m using the two spoilers on mine, snaps the blower/pipes. I love the P51 plate as well, great extra touch. 

Edited by Vindicare

Owning all of the Creator expert cars and the Caterham as well I have to say the Ford is arguably one of the best if not the best model. I love both the look and the functionality. Building the car was great fun as some really clever techniques are used. In the designer video it is said that the new 2x8 curved slope helps to get rid of the small gap behind the door. I can't see that. Replacing the slope by a regular 2x8 brick does not change the door mechanism in any way. Any idea?

Edited by legophisto

Ah, as usual, Lego is f*ck*ng up again - not able to log on as VIP member in the online shop...

Anyway: showing as "Back orders accepted, will be shipped by 12 March 2019".

But no extra either, cause their site didn't work when I tried to pay it.

And I'm not always at home either to buy sets, I need to earn money aswell!

I only received VIP points, but no keychain in the order aswell

Just finished this masterpiece and I just have to say it is hands down my favorite build to date, sorry Saturn 5. Only a couple of things bother me about this set, mainly how the 1 by angle slopes have a rough finish get placed next to slopes with smooth finish, something that has always bothered me. I wonder if there is a acceptable way to "buff" out that roughness. Also bothered me that the stripes on the 2 by plates are not perfectly centered or straight, even though it is very slight now that I have noticed it I can't unsee it. Some of my pieces also had minor scratches and one slope has some sort of barely noticeable stain. Of course I don't expect everything to be perfect still it could have been better, especially for such a great set. 

They absolutely did a superb job of getting all the details of the real car recreated at this scale, out of LEGO to boot. It does get a little funky on the top of the back fenders, not sure how it could have been done better though. Another minor thing too is how the frame rails go the whole length of the chassis on the underside, the Mustang was a Unibody vehicle so they ended about halfway on the pan, again a very minor detail that in no way takes away from the models great looks. 

The new rims are very welcome and I am glad to have all the new parts and colors. It's very cool that it comes with bolt-on accessories to make it a race car, fantastic idea that I would like to see more of in other sets. 

I did make a few mistakes during the build and actually had to do some considerable deconstruction, I always seem to have problems with dark blue, that and some of the advance building techniques made parts of the building process quite fragile. 

All in all I highly recommend getting this set it's hands down my favorite, so far. Anyone on the fence with this one, just get it. I have not built any of the other Creator Expert vehicles, just not interested in the subject matter and have only been out of my dark age for two and a half years but I dare say this one will go down in history. It's so good I want to buy two more one for parts and one to hang on to.

Started building my mustang and they short changed me a dark blue hinge. Also one of the windshields was really warped. Anyone else having issues with it?

A hinge for where?

Pic of it?

And my status has changed from Backorder to In warehouse.

Normally backorder was till 12th March, so they have more Mustangs in stock or what?

Edited by Dragunov2

Mine should come in less than a week.

I am planning on building this in RHD with amber turn signals and a better rear end similar to what Bruce Lowell did.

47224904782_f31c6ce74a_b.jpg

What did he do?

Can only find the link to his site, like Boba Fett mask

Edited by Dragunov2

I received mine on Friday and built it today. I put on John Wick 2 in the background while building - and had completely forgotten that this movie featured a Mustang! Anyway, this really is an exquisite set, packed full of functions and features, incredible detail, minimal stickers (I applied none), and near-perfect shaping. The only thing I found myself changing was adding a rubber band to the front of the supercharger blower. The build itself is very satisfying, especially seeing some odd angles involving the dashboard, windscreen, and roof come together to form a perfect fit. The entire build is also surprisingly sturdy given the advanced nature of the build, and the new wheel hubs are definitely a game-changer. As far as I'm concerned this is not only the best Creator Expert model to date, but the best released Lego set period. It's really that good.

Glad to see I am not the only one that feels that way, I really think this one will go down in history. 

I also agree with your view of the techniques used around the dash firewall area, masterfully done for sure. 

I really hope to see future sets done to this standard as well. Unfortunately I already have the itch to radically modify this set, I mean after all it is LEGO. Really need to pick up another, something I never do with these larger sets. 

Only the prints on the side are bad, all curved, instead of a nice straight line

Edited by Dragunov2

6 minutes ago, Dragunov2 said:

Only the prints on the side are bad, all curved, instead of a nice straight line

There seems to be some variation in this. Mine are not too bad so I have no complaints on that front. If I'm being picky then I found a couple of minor flaws worth correcting. Without stickers, the 2x2 round tile at the rear looks a little plain, so I added the spare pony-printed 1x1 round tile in its place on a 2x2 round single-stud plate. There is also a 2x2 bracket in light bluish grey on each door that is visible from the exterior, so that should really be swapped out to dark blue or black.

Edited by BrickMonkeyMOCs

I made a thread, so u can place all the mods made to car there ;)

Maybe with some pics?

I used the spare pony printed one on the steering wheel

Edited by Dragunov2

On 2/23/2019 at 8:33 AM, BrickWild said:

Using this video:

I managed to recreate this in Stud.io!

47131157442_64731df60c_k.jpg

Just waiting for the unique new parts for the next software update!

Stud.io is a bit better than LDD.

Can u put up the file?

Thanks!