Sign in to follow this  
Barduck

MOC UNION PACIFIC ES44AC (8-wide) (pic heavy)

Now that she's finally finished, complete with custom decals from OKBrickWorks, it is time to give her a proper thread. She turned out to be one of my most complex diesel engines to design and build, took almost 2 years to actually have her build as I just couldn't find a good solutions for the vents at the back. Containing over 1800 pieces, 2 PF train motors to power her, brickbuild zigzag in the stripes and a pretty complex nose, she's going to be a head turner for sure. 

32206286277_7e23b8ea4e_z.jpg

32206287187_36d464cc80_z.jpg

The 1x2 plates and 1x2 plates with ladder are custom chromed from Chrome Block City. The enige in the back is my older SD70

46424833404_22ffec9b08_z.jpg

32206284977_9c2a35ea1d_z.jpg

That part of the build that caused a lot of design problems

46424826174_e403f18cd6_z.jpg

32206287917_d6eac67497_z.jpg

The complex nose

32206288707_d1220e225a_z.jpg

Awesome decals by OKBrickWorks

One last treat, together with the VIRGINIAN 2-8-8-8-4 triplex:

40200919993_c9ba35a958_z.jpg

Edited by Barduck

6 minutes ago, Unfinished_Projects said:

Wow! I really like the design of the nose! Does it handle all standard Lego track?

She does without any problems 

Looks fantastic!  Really nice shaping and clever parts usage at the front of the cab (and overall).  Great detail on the wheel trucks, too.  :classic:

Absolutely gorgeous! Awesome use of a wide range of building techniques to make it hyper-realistic. You say pic heavy but I say not enough pictures cause its so wonderful!

Hey Barduck, the subject is very interesting and the result is a real masterpiece! :wub_drool:

You took a lot of time but the result is worth all the effort ...another superb model for your collection! :thumbup:
I really like the red zig-zag profile made with the cheese pieces ... the stickers are the icing on the cake!

this is a really nice model. the american diesels always look huge compared to european locomotives.

XG BC

thx for all the kind comments, she sure was a pain to design. But now I have her designed in 7 liveries and working on even more

Final parts for the UP version arrived today, build starts at the weekend - 2 motors and PFx brick with sound and lights.Very excited - my first loco build and what a monster she'll be!

Edited by netlife
poor typist

On 2/24/2019 at 8:09 PM, Barduck said:

thx for all the kind comments, she sure was a pain to design. But now I have her designed in 7 liveries and working on even more

Are you serious? This sounds really crazy (and amazing)! :drool:

I'm really curious to see the final result :thumbup::thumbup:

I am getting the parts together for the Interstate version and will do one more after that but not yet decided which one. Won’t build them all, that would cost a fortune. I am however designing at least 3 more, possibly 5 (kinda like the idea of “a dozen ES44AC’s” ?)

Hi barduk, there are lots more liveries to choose from - Union Pacific did a whole series of Heritage Liveries - I used to own the set in HO once upon a time. Google "Union Pacific ES44 heritage liveries". The Southern Pacific is awesome and would be a  worthy challenge for your talents

11 hours ago, netlife said:

Hi barduk, there are lots more liveries to choose from - Union Pacific did a whole series of Heritage Liveries - I used to own the set in HO once upon a time. Google "Union Pacific ES44 heritage liveries". The Southern Pacific is awesome and would be a  worthy challenge for your talents

I know, I even did that search some time ago. There’s a lot more but not all are worthy of being build and from those that are, not all are buildable. So much easier when you can just paint the model

On 3/3/2019 at 4:35 AM, Barduck said:

I know, I even did that search some time ago. There’s a lot more but not all are worthy of being build and from those that are, not all are buildable. So much easier when you can just paint the model

Or use stickers...

4 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Or use stickers...

More of a challenge to use as less stickers as possible and brick build it (like the zigzag on the UP). For example: all ready concluded that a CN version would require to many masking stickers. 

Just bought me one of my own! Super excited to start my train journey, this engine stood out to me! Can't wait for this thing to come in.