This was part one of my 10th entry into the CCC XVI, for the From Field to Goblet category. This entry focused on the production of apple cider, so of course the first scene shows an orchard. When researching the process for making medieval cider (not much different than today’s process actually) I found it interesting that they often used long poles to whack the tree’s branches and cause any apples to fall to the ground where they could then be easily picked. So I included that in my rendition of a medieval apple harvest, as well as stone walls making terraces in the orchard.

In the fall Eryl and Elise have a grand time helping with the apple harvest. Plenty of wildlife is always present around the fruit trees, and apple picking is one of the twin’s favorite harvest activities.

overview.jpg

right.jpg

squ.jpg

Find more pictures on Brickbuilt.

Thanks for looking, C&C welcome :dsweet:

Great all-around... but that bluejay is spectacular.  Super NPU!  I also really like the hillside aspect of the build in general.  :sweet:

This is a nice little scene. I like the detailed plate-based landscaping, reminds me of a "higher res" version of the Minecraft sets. Or what that could look like.

I like the jay but I feel like the squirrel isn't as readable as it could be against that tree. Don't know what the solution would be.

Lovely scene.  Really like the trees.  The birds and squirrel are a nice touch.  I also like the way you made the ground with the plates giving it a slightly tiered look.  

A really nice scene with lovely trees, SK. I love the texture on the terrain. Oh and that brick-built squirrel! :classic:

You and your brother can really capture everyday scenes in Lego in such a great way! I really like how much details and heights you have in this rather small moc! Bravo!!

Lovely orchard scene, SK! I feel like the trees are a bit too square in the trunk, but beyond that they look nice. The squirrels are a good try, but as someone else said they come up a bit short, mostly because there's only so much you can do at this scale! They get the idea across very clearly but seem too pixelated next to a minifig. 

Very nice build!  I like how you mix the bright and regular green in the trees--makes it look like spring with new growth on the trees.  The dark green and dark tan look superb--it must be nice to have access to so much of both!  I really like how you and LittleJohn both try brick built creatures and they turn out so well.  The squirrels are recognizable, although I prefer the one on the tree to the one on the ground, but that's just me.  Your bird in the birds nest is great--same design as I've seen before, but still very nice.  I like the idea of the orchard for the CCC, too--well done!

On 2/21/2019 at 10:34 AM, derEselausErgste said:

A wonderful little scene - and of course the squirrel is just a sensation. Like it a lot!

Thanks!

On 2/21/2019 at 12:09 PM, deraven said:

Great all-around... but that bluejay is spectacular.  Super NPU!  I also really like the hillside aspect of the build in general.  :sweet:

Thank you, that bird design is an old one that I first saw used by Eklund.

On 2/21/2019 at 12:56 PM, TinCan said:

Good stuff, two thumbs up!

Thank you :dsweet:

On 2/21/2019 at 2:43 PM, mccoyed said:

This is a nice little scene. I like the detailed plate-based landscaping, reminds me of a "higher res" version of the Minecraft sets. Or what that could look like.

I like the jay but I feel like the squirrel isn't as readable as it could be against that tree. Don't know what the solution would be.

Thanks, and you're right about the squirrel. Probably should have moved him a little away from the tree trunk, I just liked the idea of him being ready to scamper up if the dog came any closer :laugh:

On 2/21/2019 at 3:50 PM, koalayummies said:

Beautiful scene! I especially like the build-up of the terrain using plates and side-visible layers of the land.

Thank you, I hoped the exposed ground layering would work well in combination with the terraces.

On 2/21/2019 at 11:05 PM, zoth33 said:

Lovely scene.  Really like the trees.  The birds and squirrel are a nice touch.  I also like the way you made the ground with the plates giving it a slightly tiered look.  

Thanks!

On 2/23/2019 at 11:55 AM, en_zoo said:

A really nice scene with lovely trees, SK. I love the texture on the terrain. Oh and that brick-built squirrel! :classic:

Thank you en_zoo - though I'm a little curious which squirrel you prefer. The one in the tree on the right or the one on the ground?

On 2/25/2019 at 11:13 PM, The Last of Nergoue said:

nice moc, the rockwork is pretty interesting topic

Thanks, it was a bit different than my usual rockwork designs.

On 2/26/2019 at 3:58 PM, de Gothia said:

You and your brother can really capture everyday scenes in Lego in such a great way! I really like how much details and heights you have in this rather small moc! Bravo!!

Thank you dG :sweet:

On 3/5/2019 at 3:05 PM, Henjin_Quilones said:

Lovely orchard scene, SK! I feel like the trees are a bit too square in the trunk, but beyond that they look nice. The squirrels are a good try, but as someone else said they come up a bit short, mostly because there's only so much you can do at this scale! They get the idea across very clearly but seem too pixelated next to a minifig. 

Thanks HQ! Yeah, I still enjoy using brick built animals if settings like this even though they're a bit flawed.

On 3/8/2019 at 8:53 PM, Grover said:

Very nice build!  I like how you mix the bright and regular green in the trees--makes it look like spring with new growth on the trees.  The dark green and dark tan look superb--it must be nice to have access to so much of both!  I really like how you and LittleJohn both try brick built creatures and they turn out so well.  The squirrels are recognizable, although I prefer the one on the tree to the one on the ground, but that's just me.  Your bird in the birds nest is great--same design as I've seen before, but still very nice.  I like the idea of the orchard for the CCC, too--well done!

Thank you Grover. It took us quite a few years to get a good selection of landscape parts in colors like dark tan and dark green, and it's certainly enjoyable being able to use them now!

2 hours ago, soccerkid6 said:

Thank you en_zoo - though I'm a little curious which squirrel you prefer. The one in the tree on the right or the one on the ground?

I meant the one on the ground! ^^

A great build I envy you ! :laugh:

That's exactly the kind of stuff I should try ... and totally could build ! (and still want to build but don't find the time to build...:wall:)

Great rendition of this everyday scene ! Great job ! I love it !