Sign in to follow this  
greg3

Tauchpanzer III [Brickmania MOD]

The Tauchpanzer (Diving Tank) was developed by the Germans in 1940 as part of the preparations for Operation Sealion, the planned invasion of Britain. As its name suggests, it was intended to be an armoured vehicle able to operate completely submerged. The idea was that the tanks would be deployed some distance from the shore and drive along the sea bed to emerge on the target beach. 

Most Tauchpanzers were modified Panzer III's (my version is a MOD of a Brickmania Panzer III that was released some time ago and is based on photos of the real tanks being tested) 

47108267942_62fa990a30_c.jpgTPtest by g.nat, on Flickr

46426255234_e515caee95_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

To covert the tanks, first all the hatches were fitted with heavy duty seals and an inflatable ring used to fill the gap between the turret and hull. Rubberised coverings (represented here by the black pieces) were then fitted to seal the main gun/mantlet, bow machine gun, commander's cupola and engine intakes. Explosive charges could blow these covers off, allowing the tank to fire as soon as it cleared the water.

33284776308_b2340042f6_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Air for both the crew and engine was supplied via an 18 metre long flexible hose attached to a buoy that the tank towed along behind it. It seems that 2 versions were trialled, one with the hose attached to the rear deck and, as here, one with it attached to the turret (the turret version seems to have been the most common)

46436321494_9a190790bb_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

The buoy not only drew in fresh air, it was also fitted with a radio aerial allowing the tank crew to communicate with surface vessels and other Tauchpanzers. Again, 2 versions were tested: this one and one that looked like a large disk with a tall intake mast and 4 legs that was carried on the rear deck (I couldn't get that one to stay in place with the hose!!)

32217948847_8181383df9_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

To prevent water entering the engine, the exhaust was fitted with one way valves - this version seems most common although some photos show both exhausts going into a single box-like structure.

46436321014_3aedf0f611_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

The plan was to launch the tanks using special barges. The barge would remain some distance from the shore and extend a long hinged platform. A Tauchpanzer would drive onto the platform and as it moved forward, its weight would cause the end of the platform to sink - eventually creating a ramp to the sea bed. The tank would then drive off the ramp which would float back up ready for the next tank. The tanks could then drive under their own power to the shore navigating by compass or under radio instructions from the surface ship.

Testing and crew training took place on the island of Sylt in July 1940 and proved that the idea could work. Tanks were able to operate successfully at depths of 15 metres for up to 20 mins. My version is based on photos of these trials and so include features that wouldn't have been needed (or practical) when the tanks were used operationally.

46436916744_caaea10123_c.jpgTPtest2 by g.nat, on Flickr

Most obvious are the depth markers - these allowed observers on the surface to monitor the tank's progress...

47097376512_b87c93b2b0_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

As Initial testing was done by lowering/raising the tanks by crane, headlight protectors were fitted to prevented damage from the lifting chains.

46436321444_5f2c4bfa09_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Hose/buoy rests. These kept the hose from becoming tangled/damaged when not in use (they should actually be taller (almost to the top of the turret) but I couldn't work out how to do that and keep them thin.

32217948667_fc87e4abeb_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Distress buoy. Mounted on top of the commander's cupola, this could be released by the crew in the event of an emergency (flooding, engine failure etc) I'm assuming the tank would then be raised by crane.

46436321574_c7d60274cd_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Altogether 168 Tauchpanzer III's were produced (and 42 Tauchpanzer IV's based on the Panzer IV) but ultimately they would never be used as intended as Operation Sealion was cancelled. They did however find a use in the Russian campaign where there were used to cross large rivers, most notably in crossing the river Bug at Patulin. For these operations, the rubber air hose was replaced with a shorter 3.5 metre rigid tube.

I really like these sort of crazy sounding military ideas and couldn't resist thing to make this one!! It's taken a while to get it looking decent but I'm pretty pleased with how it came out. I'm toying with the idea of creating an "underwater scene" with it but for now I think it's good enough to share (and become my 1000th post!!)

Thanks for looking and comments are always welcome.

Hey Greg, I normally only see your town posts; glad I popped over int his forum because you did a very nice job.

On an aside, I wonder how the Germans handled the natural buoyancy of all that metal. :laugh:

Thanks for the comments...

1 hour ago, gotoAndLego said:

On an aside, I wonder how the Germans handled the natural buoyancy of all that metal. :laugh:

The accounts I've read actually mention the buoyancy of the tanks as an issue during the initial trials. With much of the interior being full of air they tended to "bounce" along the seabed reducing traction - they could manage about 3mph submerged. (but with heavier Panzer 3's with increased armour and larger guns already in production it wasn't considered a major problem.)