pombe

[MOC] WWII Tomahawk kaiju interceptor

3 hours ago, Jody Meyer said:

Great build, nice colour scheme. Reminds me of the P38. :classic:

Thanks!  I took inspiration from both the Saber and the Lightning, and ended up combining them in this weird way.

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

That's a damn sweet little piece of SKY-FI you've built there @pombe!!! :thumbup: :grin_wub:

P.S. Do you have some public Flickr images of it by any chance? :blush:

Thanks!  The pics themselves are links to the Flickr image, which in this case, are all public.  I guess I don't always make pics public, especially in the cases of WIPs and pics that are not mine, but in this case they all are.  I should say that the background image was taken from wikipedia, which I assume is public domain.  If I'm wrong, I will happily change the background.

1 hour ago, ControlAltBrick said:

Nice shaping here!

Thanks!  I find most sky-fi planes tend to have straight wings, and I wanted a go at doing one with swept wings.

Edited by pombe

What a spiffy bit of Skyfi hardware you've got there :thumbup: It is a favourite subject of mine and I always enjoy seeing other's creations. 

Thanks for sharing this with the forum.

@pombe Really cool creation!! Although I mostly favor technic building, I find this MOC very appealing. Never knew actually that there was something like a Sky-Fy theme... I dig it!!

This plane looks interesting enough to have a go at in Technic actually, I just gained some experience with building a technic (twin-boom) plane anyway:laugh:. If you're OK with it, I'll keep this one in mind when/if I start my next plane MOC.

1 hour ago, Rudivdk said:

Never knew actually that there was something like a Sky-Fy theme... I dig it!!

Well, since you're new to the theme, ya gotta start with this guy's stuff! :smug:

Flickr - JonHall18

2014 mocs

8 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Well, since you're new to the theme, ya gotta start with this guy's stuff! :smug:

Flickr - JonHall18

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy:excited::drool:. Thanx a ton for the tip!! Dunno even where to start looking...

On 2/20/2019 at 4:17 PM, Peppermint_M said:

What a spiffy bit of Skyfi hardware you've got there :thumbup: It is a favourite subject of mine and I always enjoy seeing other's creations. 

Thanks for sharing this with the forum.

Thanks!  I saw your recent sky-fi MOC and I love the engine and the colors!

On 3/4/2019 at 10:07 AM, PaddyBricksplitter said:

I like everything about this. The swept back wings, colours, the printed piece chosen for the canopy.

Awesome.

Thanks!  I'm glad you like it!

6 hours ago, Rudivdk said:

@pombe Really cool creation!! Although I mostly favor technic building, I find this MOC very appealing. Never knew actually that there was something like a Sky-Fy theme... I dig it!!

This plane looks interesting enough to have a go at in Technic actually, I just gained some experience with building a technic (twin-boom) plane anyway:laugh:. If you're OK with it, I'll keep this one in mind when/if I start my next plane MOC.

Thanks!  I'm not much of an expert of sky-fi.  @Digger of Bricks is much more of the expert than I am.  I just put it with the Rocket Ranger or Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow or AT-43 or Maschinen Krieger type of alternate World War II technology (some call it Weird War II).  Throw in some art deco influences and make sure there is a heavy emphasis on style and form.  Imagine a battlefield with blimps and helicarriers launching their diesel powered prop planes with armies of soldiers in hardsuits and tank-mechs stomping around below.

I'm flattered that you would want to use my MOC as a template for your future project, but I'm going to say that the examples of John Hall's MOCs provided by @Digger of Bricks are much better.  His MOCs were partly the inspiration behind mine.

Also, I wanted to congratulate you on winning the Technic contest with your ridiculous P-38 MOC.  It's truly awesome, especially with all the functions and power functions.

Edited by pombe

Thanks @pombe!

@Digger of Bricks gave me quite some research material*huh*, I'm gonna take some time to check it all out:excited:.

But it was your MOC that pulled me into this niche to begin with... and since it's design is somewhat related to a P-38, it feels like a good template for me to cross over to sky-fi technic. We'll see what comes out of it, guess I would have to focus more on (wacky) functions to keep it 'technic'.

3 hours ago, Rudivdk said:

But it was your MOC that pulled me into this niche to begin with... and since it's design is somewhat related to a P-38, it feels like a good template for me to cross over to sky-fi technic. We'll see what comes out of it, guess I would have to focus more on (wacky) functions to keep it 'technic'.

Well, you've inspired me to try to add some functions to my MOCs, so I went out during my lunch break and picked this up:

46387881345_3328c65e6e.jpg

It's time I learned a few new things.

46 minutes ago, pombe said:

Well, you've inspired me to try to add some functions to my MOCs, so I went out during my lunch break and picked this up:

[pic removed]

It's time I learned a few new things.

Now I am flattered:blush:, it's cool how we both inspire each other to venture into new grounds.

I hope you have a good time on that container truck, it's a nice and playable little build. I've spend my evening modelling my first Sky-fi aircraft in MLCad, but unfortunately my laptop crashed just now so I can't show any pics of it :angry:. Second try tomorrow...

4 hours ago, pombe said:

Thanks!  I'm not much of an expert of sky-fi.  @Digger of Bricks is much more of the expert than I am.  I just put it with the Rocket Ranger or Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow or AT-43 or Maschinen Krieger type of alternate World War II technology (some call it Weird War II). 

Well, while I am a bit of an obsessive in all things Dieselpunk, Sky-Fi, Adventure Pulp, Art Deco, and whatever fantastical spawned out of the '30s and '40s, I confess that I've surprisingly never heard of Rocket Ranger up until you've mentioned it. I can't believe that one slipped under my radar, thanks for mentioning it! :thumbup: :grin:

4 hours ago, pombe said:

Throw in some art deco influences and make sure there is a heavy emphasis on style and form.  Imagine a battlefield with blimps and helicarriers launching their diesel powered prop planes with armies of soldiers in hardsuits and tank-mechs stomping around below.

Oh yeah, I've got BOATLOADS of inspirational artwork right up that alley saved from around web over on Pinterest. DAMN GOOD STUFF!!! :drool:

Crimson Skies by roberthendrickson

4 hours ago, Rudivdk said:

Oooooooh, TECHNIC SKY-FI?!!! :oh:

22 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Oooooooh, TECHNIC SKY-FI?!!! :oh:

Yup, it could look something like below. What do you think? Would it be worth continuing on this concept?

Sky-fi%20plane.jpg

20 minutes ago, Rudivdk said:

Yup, it could look something like below. What do you think? Would it be worth continuing on this concept?

NICE!!!

I love the engines and the wing shape!

My only suggestion would be to make the colors "more military".  Right now, it has more of an "airshow" paint job to it.

I'm definitely curious what functions you've incorporated into it.

Just now, pombe said:

NICE!!!

I love the engines and the wing shape!

My only suggestion would be to make the colors "more military".  Right now, it has more of an "airshow" paint job to it.

I'm definitely curious what functions you've incorporated into it.

I'm hoping to put in elevons controlled from the cockpit, propeller blade pitch control, rotating rotary gun in the nose and maybe folding landing gear. But the current design might prove to be too small for all that...

About the colors: technic does not offer a wide variety of colors, especially not with the specific combination of pieces I used... I could do an all dark blue version with the zebra wings (basically just ditch the yellow parts for dark blue), or all black (even with full black wings), but that is as close to 'military' it would get I think... I'll play around with some more colors to see what else can be done...

I think I will start a separate topic for this build, I don't want to hijack your topic. Just gotta decide whether to put it in Sci-Fi or in Technic...

1 hour ago, Rudivdk said:

AB-SO-LUT-ELY!!! :thumbup: *oh2*

Personally, I would've flipped the wings around, but I suppose that just might make it all look too "normal" so to speak. :shrug_oh_well:

6 hours ago, Rudivdk said:

But the current design might prove to be too small for all that...

I was concerned about that since I do tend to build on a smaller scale.  Finding suitable Technic functions will be difficult, like say for missile launchers that can hide and pop out, especially if I want to hide the the mechanism well.

I played with the truck and it was certainly educational.  I like the steering and the dumping mechanisms.  Here it is, driving over a WIP Blacktron project that's waiting for a bricklink order.

47262222232_49c2707b5b_z.jpg

I got bored and built a bunch of micro sky-fi planes.  Now I need to build a flying carrier for them.  Now to see if I can incorporate some Technic functions and build one with working elevators for the planes.