Cosmik42

Best place to buy MOC trains?

Hi guys,

So here is the thing. I am big on automation, but I have no talent for building.
I have a fairly large layout at this point, but I drool in front of the many amazing MOC on this forum.

The question is - do you know if there is a marketplace to buy this kind of MOC?

Thanks!

52 minutes ago, Hamster said:

Do you mean complete sets or instructions?

Complete set

1 hour ago, Cosmik42 said:

Complete set

Are you after a certain prototype? I know there is a guy called "Bricks Northwest" on bricklink that does US based models and there are a bunch others that do instructions for European prototypes but I don't know of any that are complete sets. 

There is also HA Bricks; https://habricks.com/

BMR are planning to release their first loco as a full kit as well, see details here: https://brickmodelrailroader.com/index.php/2019/01/05/the-first-locomotive-from-brick-model-railroader/

Brickmania also did a full loco kit, designed by BMR, but that one is sold out for the moment; https://www.brickmania.com/s160-locomotive-us-army-transportation-corps/

There is also Milton Train Works by Larry Pieniazek, he still is taking orders it seems: http://www.miltontrainworks.com/MTW/products/

I have some 6w American diesels for sale as well as an 8w American steam engine. Shoot me a PM if interested.

-Jeffinslaw

4 hours ago, SteamSewnEmpire said:

That is a really nice F.

Agree, it’s a beauty.

Can anyone approximate the scale? E.g. provide the wheelbase in studs?

My guess has been that it’s about 1:55.

On 9/17/2019 at 5:47 AM, Henry 991 said:

Agree, it’s a beauty.

Can anyone approximate the scale? E.g. provide the wheelbase in studs?

My guess has been that it’s about 1:55.

Its pretty bang on for 1:48 

3 hours ago, Despicable Dru said:

Does anyone know of designers that have instructions for UK stuff particularly Diesel's with Power Function setup. 

Have you tried already to use Google, check Brickshelf, MOCpages and Flickr? Or maybe rebrickable, or Lego ideas where the also tend to share their designs now and then? 

Also, have you tried already to design something yourself? That's quite common around the members here. I can guarantee you that building stuff yourself, even though it can be a bit of a learning curve in the beginning, is really rewarding and a fun thing to do.

10 hours ago, raised said:

Have you tried already to use Google, check Brickshelf, MOCpages and Flickr? Or maybe rebrickable, or Lego ideas where the also tend to share their designs now and then? 

Also, have you tried already to design something yourself? That's quite common around the members here. I can guarantee you that building stuff yourself, even though it can be a bit of a learning curve in the beginning, is really rewarding and a fun thing to do.

Yes I have found several designs on Bricklink and various Facebook groups but they tend not to have power functions which is the bit I'm struggling with. 

I have had a go at designing several engines in Stud.io based on these designs which works quite well but it incorporating the motor and gearing I'm struggling with hence wanting to adapt an existing motored design. 

14 hours ago, Despicable Dru said:

Yes I have found several designs on Bricklink and various Facebook groups but they tend not to have power functions which is the bit I'm struggling with. 

I have had a go at designing several engines in Stud.io based on these designs which works quite well but it incorporating the motor and gearing I'm struggling with hence wanting to adapt an existing motored design. 

Start with the train motor and a bo-bo design. I chose a Class 20 because I like them and because most of the core pieces I needed were in the last generation LEGO 60052 City Cargo Train. There’s a thread here: 

If I had the money I would do the same with the current set and turn it into a Warship: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_42. Here’s a thread where HodCarrier built his own spectacular version: 

The joy of Lego is that we can all set our own perimeters and all end up somewhere brilliant. That’s part of what makes it interesting rather than “I bought this model from this company and painted it brown”.

Personally, I find here a Flickr the best places to look. LNUR are fairly active and interesting on the various social media and have examples of what you’ve said your interested in as well. 

As for your original question and selling - I don’t have anything worth buying that you can’t work out from those photos. The classic BR diesels are very clean designs so the inside is effectively there to hold the PF parts in and the outside on!

Thanks for your reply. Funnily enough I am playing around with a class 20 in dark green but I've had to extend the cab to get the battery box in it as the main body of the loco is too narrow for it but it seems to work. 

8 hours ago, Thai bricks said:

If you like German engines and rolling stock, Bluebrixx.com have a range of them.

But that's not LEGO.

Bluebrixx might not be Lego if you buy their own kits, but if you register with them, you can download their own brand instructions for free.  I grabbed several, and, disregarding color availability, it appeared that there were no special non-Lego pieces used in their construction.  You'd have to provide your own Lego bricks, rather than getting them in a kit, but that appears to be doable.

Seems to meet the OP and other's criteria admirably, if you ask me, especially those asking for 6-wide (raises hand).  I find the BB German V-100 cute as hell, myself.  :laugh:

Metta,

Ivan

On 2/20/2019 at 5:57 AM, supertruper1988 said:

Are you after a certain prototype? I know there is a guy called "Bricks Northwest" on bricklink that does US based models and there are a bunch others that do instructions for European prototypes but I don't know of any that are complete sets. 

I've had the pleasure of meeting this guy and buying one of his trains, he makes some great stuff. 

Lots of free building instructions with part lists here, mostly Danish locomotives and rolling stock :classic:

Edited by dtomsen