damangos

MOC: Flying Scotsman (with free instructions)

@damangosYou're the man! The build is awesome and the instructions are very well made. 

You're very generous to share with us, thanks!

16 minutes ago, kiwinewt said:

As promised, here is my build... :)

47807898181_6178df6a8e_n.jpg

47807898071_1f0ae30d3d_n.jpg

OMG! Wow! I didn’t think anyone would actually make it. Well I hoped you enjoyed the build. ?

If you want to put a motor in it you may need to do some modifications because the gear is 1 to 1. And Lego motors aren’t that powerful. ? I will come up with a fix, in the meantime a 9volt motor or power functions train motor in the tender should do the trick. ? (my apologies it’s my first attempt at a Lego train and really, my first attempt at any sort of MOC. )

On 4/28/2019 at 5:56 AM, kiwinewt said:

I've noticed some problems with the instructions, specifically with the tender so far. Have a look at how the water tank area connects - it appears that two plates merge (the 2x6 and 4x4 with 2x2 cutout)

Also, is it possible to get the image file for the flying scotsman plate on the front?

Thanks heaps! :D

Hopefully I can show you my finished build soon. Just have to wait for some bricklink orders to arrive...

Yeah sorry, stud.io doesn’t really let you know if you make a mistake like that. It’s not like LDD where it stops you. I will try and update the instructions soon. 

If you google “flying Scotsman” it comes up with loads of images of the front plate. However, if you want the image I used https://images.app.goo.gl/H7AAeZydyxrbWDLQ8 it’s that one. Hope it helps?

2 hours ago, damangos said:

If you want to put a motor in it you may need to do some modifications because the gear is 1 to 1.

I am working through the motorisation next, it was hard to tell from just the instructions (without a parts list) as to which gears to use. But now I have it together I've found other instructions for gears that should let me push the power through to all the drivers (and with them nicely quartered, it should work). Also, to fit the battery in the tender it needed some altering too :/

2 hours ago, damangos said:

Yeah sorry, stud.io doesn’t really let you know if you make a mistake like that.

I used Stud.io to build it first from the instructions, so I could get a parts list. I loved the actual build, watching it come together.

I have to say, building it in Dark Green was a challenge parts-wise, but it looks stunning. I'm going to modify my Stud.io file soon to make a Tornado (A1 vs Flying Scotsman which is A3) version in Blue.

I'll post up some photos again in July, when she'll be making her maiden run at the Christchurch Brick Show here in NZ :)

Edited by kiwinewt

@damangos Very well done; both the model and the instructions!

I believe you designed it in green and @kiwinewt built it in dark green. I looked at some pictures online but it's hard to tell the real colour: some show green, some show dark green...

What do you recommend?

Greetings!

4 hours ago, base_1 said:

What do you recommend?

Honestly I think the Dark Green looks closest to the colour of the Flying Scotsman in person. She has had multiple variations, so both are correct, if you build it in green the parts are more available (and cheaper) than building in dark green. I've had to replace a few non-obvious ones with black. But I also think the dark green will stand out nicer in a show environment where there is harsh bright lighting.

7 hours ago, base_1 said:

@damangos Very well done; both the model and the instructions!

I believe you designed it in green and @kiwinewt built it in dark green. I looked at some pictures online but it's hard to tell the real colour: some show green, some show dark green...

What do you recommend?

Greetings!

I’ve created it in dark green (BrickLink green)  and I created her in that colour however I would NOT recommend it only because it will cost more money to buy her. This is due to part 2555 in dark green (BrickLink green) costs a lot. ?Apart from that brick, like kiwinewt said, green would be cheaper. At the end of the day it’s really up to you. I would love to see a blue one. ?

I also created her but in dark green( BrickLink green) so if you want to compare.? I wasn’t going to post her without stickers but her goes.

47355162422_ff2bd6beca_b.jpg

46684713964_e7de803099_b.jpg46492776995_13ed55de6a_b.jpg

8 hours ago, kiwinewt said:

when she'll be making her maiden run at the Christchurch Brick Show here in NZ :)

If it’s not too much to ask would it be possible to credit me when she goes on show. It will mean a lot to me.

Hey guys,

Just to be absolutely shure: it was designed in 'regular green' (like LEGO trees etc.) and that is the cheaper solution but it's also possible to build it (with a few adaptations) in dark green (like the Emerald night) like @kiwinewt did?

Kind regards!

7 hours ago, base_1 said:

it was designed in 'regular green' (like LEGO trees etc.) and that is the cheaper solution but it's also possible to build it (with a few adaptations) in dark green (like the Emerald night) like @kiwinewt did?

Correct :)

Superb, I love the neat pistons and the shape of the running board. My preference would be for a 7 wide tender to match the cab, but I know some prefer a 6 wide tender to better transition between the locomotive and 6 wide rolling stock. It may also be possible to reduce the gap between the tender and the locomotive, there are some nice examples of this on Flickr.

An awesome build and thank you for sharing the instructions!

@damangos It is a great train!

DSC_2600.JPG

DSC_2594.JPG

Many thanks for the instructions

Edited by mawe

On 5/9/2019 at 6:51 AM, kiwinewt said:

I am working through the motorisation next

Please let us know what you did when you are finished :classic:

Does anyone have a parts list for this please as really want to build it for my hubby 

9 hours ago, mcknli7 said:

@kiwinewt do you have one please 

I'm away for work at the moment. My parts list is slightly different too as I went for cheaper parts to balance out the dark green. If you're keen I'm happy to but otherwise do what I did and use the instructions to build in stud.io then use that? :)

I tried to use that but it just kept crashing on my pc (it’s old bless it) so I gave up in the end 

if you wouldn’t mind sending me it when you return home that would be amazing 

cheaper parts sound good to me

I just want to thank you for the instructions, this is an awesome model and making it available like this is great!

This is a great train and thank you so much for posting the instructions.  I've been thinking about building The Flying Scotsman for years (my grandfather was a fireman (engine stoker) on the real one back in the 30's and 40's so I've always had something of a fondness for it) .  This should be just the kicker I needed to finally stop thinking and start building.

Great job and thanks for sharing.

On 8/15/2019 at 11:13 AM, SD100 said:

I just want to thank you for the instructions, this is an awesome model and making it available like this is great!

On 8/15/2019 at 6:41 PM, ShaydDeGrai said:

This is a great train and thank you so much for posting the instructions.  I've been thinking about building The Flying Scotsman for years (my grandfather was a fireman (engine stoker) on the real one back in the 30's and 40's so I've always had something of a fondness for it) .  This should be just the kicker I needed to finally stop thinking and start building.

Great job and thanks for sharing.

You’re welcome. ? I just hope it inspires more train  enthusiasts to release their instructions for free. 

Also, I have another train project coming soon so keep your eyes peeled. 

8 hours ago, damangos said:

You’re welcome. ? I just hope it inspires more train  enthusiasts to release their instructions for free. 

Also, I have another train project coming soon so keep your eyes peeled. 

please can you post a parts list for this one

First off, thanks to @damangos for the awesome instructions!

48632841622_87e94f35bb_z.jpg

Second, I reworked my original 7 wide Emerald Night tender from 2014 to have three wheels and the classic LEGO train logo instead of the 6 wide tender used by damangos in the original model. (I like them both being the same width.) The engine is modeled in BR dark blue, and is numbered one higher than the A3 engine series ever went (2509). Both the train and engine are named the Scarborough Flyer... and yes, it's build-able.

48632699406_c1b7d779e1_z.jpg

The rear of the loco, with the LRTS logo on the side of the tender. (I can't find the 1 x 1 letters anymore in quantity, plus they are getting really expensive, so I made this logo instead.)

Edited by Murdoch17

Or at least if Damangos is gone maybe someone who has the instructions could shoot them out to us, maybe?