damangos

MOC: Flying Scotsman (with free instructions)

I tried to recreate the Flying Scotsman to the best of my ability. I have also tried to created good looking instructions to go along with my creation. She can become remote controlled with Power Functions/ Powered up really easily with a few modular modifications. I have also uploaded her to LEGO IDEAS.

33265285868_26b1453c96_c.jpgFlying Scotsman LEGO by Da Mangos, on Flickr

46416968624_147bb4486a_c.jpgFlying Scotsman LEGO by Da Mangos, on Flickr

47088432432_3922db31e3_c.jpgFlying Scotsman LEGO by Da Mangos, on Flickr

46416969084_2a2d8f993d_c.jpgFlying Scotsman LEGO by Da Mangos, on Flickr

Here she is without smoke defectors and a double tender.

47088432532_4133620d4c_c.jpgFlying Scotsman LEGO by Da Mangos, on Flickr

These Instructions are NOT to be sold, they are free for everyone. 

Instructions download: 

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AspcbvQ53YKPnzVyiFCVFkgh43-Z

Hope you Enjoy. :classic:

Looks great!  Everything is very clean and well-integrated.

You might want to take a look at the Ideas rules, though; I could be wrong, but I think you're not supposed to distribute instructions for submissions (maybe it's just not sell instructions... but something about it in the rules IIRC).

Just now, deraven said:

Looks great!  Everything is very clean and well-integrated.

You might want to take a look at the Ideas rules, though; I could be wrong, but I think you're not supposed to distribute instructions for submissions (maybe it's just not sell instructions... but something about it in the rules IIRC).

thank you and they say you may share the instructions for free but not sell them. :classic: 

Edited by damangos

59 minutes ago, damangos said:

they say you may share the instructions for free but not sell them. :classic:

:thumbup:  And thank you so much for sharing them with the community!  :sweet:

That is absolutely brilliant! I'm in love!

Do you perchance have a bricklink XML parts list? I'd love to get it up and start acquiring the parts for this as soon as I can...

2 hours ago, bricks n bolts said:

Wow, really nice build, thanks for making and sharing such clear instructions!

Thank you :classic:

2 hours ago, bricks n bolts said:

Wow, really nice build, thanks for making and sharing such clear instructions!

Thank you :classic:

2 hours ago, kiwinewt said:

That is absolutely brilliant! I'm in love!

Do you perchance have a bricklink XML parts list? I'd love to get it up and start acquiring the parts for this as soon as I can...

Thank you. sorry I haven't quite figured out how to get the parts as a PDF but once you will be one of the first to know :classic:

5 hours ago, damangos said:

thank you and they say you may share the instructions for free but not sell them. :classic: 

And let's be honest, it's not like it's likely to get to a stage where Lego would check (which is a real shame in this case).

The instructions look great. I was checking to see what sort of rods this might take.

One small suggestion would be to add the technic pin axles from steps 160 and 163 on an earlier step to make it clear which holes they go in, perhaps as early as step 6, or as new steps right before current 160 and 163.

Oh, looking further, some of the parts might be expensive or unavailable. The green 1x1 plate with vertical clip in steps 125 and 126 are very rare. You could easily replace those with 1x2 plates in dark green and then down below hold them in place with 4081b on the backside or tiles on the outside connected to a 1x1 brick with studs on 2 opposite sides.

Oh, wait, I was thinking the model was dark green (ca. BR years) is the model in green and those 1x1 plates are bright green? (which is available) If so, the above tricks might still allow you to keep it all one color.

Beautiful locomotive! Thank you for sharing the instructions. 

Hello,

I've just tried to download the instructions to make this for my son and it says the instructions are no longer available. Can anyone help please. Much appreciated.

14 hours ago, AndyCheets said:

Hello,

I've just tried to download the instructions to make this and it says the instructions are no longer available. Can anyone help please. Much appreciated.

Me too, what he said!

10 minutes ago, CSW652 said:

Again instructions aren't available.

On 3/27/2019 at 3:48 PM, ritztoys said:

Me too, what he said!

On 3/27/2019 at 4:21 AM, AndyCheets said:

Hello,

I've just tried to download the instructions to make this for my son and it says the instructions are no longer available. Can anyone help please. Much appreciated.

yeah I have know idea what why they are unavailable all of a sudden.

I uploaded them again with a new URL. if this one doesn't work let me know :)

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AspcbvQ53YKPn0ivfxj9df-FTxal

Thank-you damangos, the link worked just fine, now to gather parts! Lego #10194 wayyyy to expensive to modify to your locomotive. :hmpf_bad:

16 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Beautiful locomotive and great work! :wub:
Just a tip: I don't think you can share the instructions once the project is put on Lego Idea :wink:

They say you can give them away for free but not sell the ?

I've noticed some problems with the instructions, specifically with the tender so far. Have a look at how the water tank area connects - it appears that two plates merge (the 2x6 and 4x4 with 2x2 cutout)

Also, is it possible to get the image file for the flying scotsman plate on the front?

Thanks heaps! :D

Hopefully I can show you my finished build soon. Just have to wait for some bricklink orders to arrive...

Well done m8, excelent job, and thanks for the LDD file. I'm not sure about Lego ideas because of the similarities with the emerald night, but it sure would be a great comeback to have such a thing available again.