Sign in to follow this  
greg3

McEwan Pratt 10hp 0-4-0 tractor WDLR [MOC]

With a week off work, it's time to catch up on some unfinished builds - including the latest addition to my World War 1 "War Department Light Railway"...

40174671053_9f66683e93_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

This small 10hp petrol tractor was built by the McEwan Pratt works (which was part of, or at least closely linked to the Baguley motor car company). It was one of the first internal combustion engined tractors to be tested for use on the narrow gauge front line railways. Although it overcame the disadvantages of the steam engines it was intended to replace (less noise, smoke and therefore less obvious to the enemy) it was underpowered and deemed unsuitable for use at the front. Despite this, they were put to work behind the lines - mainly with the Canadian Forestry Corps. Operating in France and the UK, they helped move much of the timber that was vital for wartime construction. The little tractors could also be found in large depots and workshop areas moving heavy loads around. The only contemporary photo of one I could find shows it in the Royal Tank Corps' Central Workshop at Teneur hauling a tank engine. The photo is from the newly released book "WDLR Companion" by Colonel David W Ronald and Roy C Link.

(According to the caption for the photo, the "chimney" on the front of the engine isn't part of the design and certainly isn't present on plans or photos of restored examples. It was probably added as decoration by the men using it as many of them would have been rail workers prior to joining up. Maybe they felt more comfortable driving something that at least looked like a steam train!!)

46225339365_a08256992b_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

46415871434_21f632f016_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

33264115588_ce81b06a21_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

The build itself was a bit of a challenge to get it in scale but I think it came out ok! (Wish I'd managed to fit some controls in for the driver though!) The red coloured parts were copied from a modern day restored version... and the tank engine cargo and wagon was quickly thrown together to try and match the photo!! Anyway, thanks for looking - comments are always welcome!!

My WDLR fleet

Simplex 20hp tractor

Simplex 40hp tractor - open, protected (armoured version coming soon!!)

Crewe Tractor

P Class Ration Wagon

Edited by greg3

Another lovely little historical creation there. You’ve got a real passion for your subject. I can see that you had the choice of having a driver or driving controls but not both, but I’m just wondering if it’s possible to create a bit more space on the footplate by SNOTing the rear panel with tiles rather than building it out of bricks. Just a thought.

I did see a couple of books on the WDLR in an Ian Allan bookshop and thought of you, but I expect you already have them. 

You've managed to pack a lot of detail into a small package! Does it use binoculars as a coupling?

I spent several minutes trying to find a tank engine in the picture before I realized what you meant!

I love the bit of history you capture in these!  Well done.   I questioned the Red at first but in reading I see some had been painted this way.   The tank motor is great too. 

12 minutes ago, Pdaitabird said:

Does it use binoculars as a coupling?

I think that's a "u" clip from brick arms...  Or brick warriors  ... I can never remember lol

Thanks for the comments.,.

46 minutes ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

I think that's a "u" clip from brick arms...  Or brick warriors  ... I can never remember lol

You are correct... It's a u-clip from Brickarms and a couple of cut bits of flex tube.

1 hour ago, Pdaitabird said:

I spent several minutes trying to find a tank engine in the picture before I realized what you meant!

Sorry about that, I should have pointed out that I meant "The engine from a tank" not "Thomas the..." :laugh:

2 hours ago, Hod Carrier said:

I can see that you had the choice of having a driver or driving controls but not both, but I’m just wondering if it’s possible to create a bit more space on the footplate by SNOTing the rear panel with tiles rather than building it out of bricks. Just a thought.

I did have a little play around with trying to thin out that back "wall" but nothing really worked... I may try again sonetime!!

Another really awesome WDLR build, Greg!  I'm really loving this series & am getting really inspired by it to start working on my own "Weird War" / Dieselpunk build of a trench railway that used the roller coaster tracks & car bodies.  Keep up the good work!