This was entry number nine for the Colossal Castle Contest XVI. The Great Wall category was one I liked a lot, and I quickly thought of building some of the fortified city of Carcassonne in France. While my model isn’t an exact replica of any section of the Carcassonne, I did base it mainly off of one of the gate areas, and every tower and wall setup was influenced by sections of the real thing. It is one of my biggest builds ever, weighing in at 35 pounds.

Harburg isn't far from the famous fortified city of Crasonne. As such, Karsten has often visited Crasonne on various administrative matters. Today he is accompanied by Eryl, who hasn't seen the city since he was a small child. After a brief meeting with Mikill, lord of Crasonne, the Storrars are given a tour of Crasonne's defenses by a sergeant of the guard.

overview-10.jpg

front-low-1.jpg

Eryl has a hard time focusing on the details about tower placement, multiple gates, and stone construction that his father discusses with the sergeant.
He can't help but feel tiny atop the massive stone walls, and there is plenty of interesting hustle and bustle on the city road.

group2.jpg

group.jpg

A group of knights are leaving Carcassonne after a tournament in the city, while various guards and peasants go about their business.
Someday I'll compete in a tournament, Eryl thinks to himself upon seeing their brightly colored armor and mighty warhorses.

knight.jpg

One of the Crasonne guards takes advantage of their sergeant being distracted with the guests from Harburg.

chicken.jpg

See plenty more images on Brickbuilt.

This was a tedious build, but 'm very pleased with the end result.
Hope you all like it :dsweet:

Everything of this is awesome.

The details, the snotwork, the size.

I think this is is one of your best castle builds, and you have alot of awesomeness castle builds.

This just looks solid!  I'd hate to have to try to batter these walls down.  Great color scheme with the dark and light grey, having one in front of the other really makes them both pop.  Nice angles too, they make for a visually interesting layout!

Great! I really like the layout. The narrow streets are excellent done.

The only thing I have a problem with are the lbg tiles on the dbg wall. Stand out too much. But that's just my opinion. 

Very Nice wall.  The mix of light and dark gray is great.  I love the way you use tiles in and on the wall.  The battlements are excellent.  Great figs too.  

Epic. Beautiful walls, angles and wall texture! :wub: Oh and I really like that arched way behind the wall with so many arches at different levels :thumbup::thumbup:

Just wow SK! Great work! I love this moc as it´s looks so much like the walls do in real life! The texture on the walls with lbg highlights really stands out! 

Hope to see that tournament! 

Excellent overall impression and great job getting the stonework so tight fitting despite the irregular shapes :thumbup:

This is probably one of the more realistic looking castle builds I've seen on GoH. Great work. I can just imagine how tedious it would be for you to say that, given your tendency to knock out buildings like it's a daily thing. :P

Just lovely, SK! The different angles are exceptional here, and the organic way the walls and arches and towers seem to flow together is top-notch. This seems like how a city's defenses would grow and develop over the years; less a result of careful planning and more spontaneous. The narrow streets are a great detail, too. I only wish that we could see more pictures of the back or down below (I did check out Brickbuilt) to further appreciate it. The contrast between the smooth walls and the studded terrain is nice, though the walls almost seem too smooth for me. But the arrow slits are superb! A great section of castle; now go build the rest of it!

This is a fantastic build.  The LBG and DBG are great together as almost counterchanged versions of the walls.  The inner and outer walls really appeal to me due to their realism, and all the little details are great.  Love the various arrow loops and the curved roof look.  I'm curious if the holes between the round roof panels are covered up by the fact that it's black on black, or if they're just narrow--can't quite tell in the pic--but they look great.  I like the use of sloped pieces on the middle tower roof too.  The knights riding between the walls are a very nice touch, too!  I would love to see the arrow loops on the crenelations more angled on the inside instead of boxed, but that is not an easy thing to pull off.  I also like how the crenelations are actually useful and not just cosmetic like so many are; they would actually provide cover for an archer!  Very nice!

On 2/18/2019 at 9:10 AM, Servertijd said:

Everything of this is awesome.

The details, the snotwork, the size.

I think this is is one of your best castle builds, and you have alot of awesomeness castle builds.

Thanks man! At times I got a little frustrated with this model, so it's great to hear you like it so much.

On 2/18/2019 at 10:56 AM, derEselausErgste said:

WONDERFUL!

Can't tell what I like the most, it's just overhelming :classic:

Aw, thanks :blush:

On 2/18/2019 at 11:52 AM, Kai NRG said:

This just looks solid!  I'd hate to have to try to batter these walls down.  Great color scheme with the dark and light grey, having one in front of the other really makes them both pop.  Nice angles too, they make for a visually interesting layout!

Thanks Kai! Certainly the largest walls I've built yet :laugh:

On 2/18/2019 at 11:55 AM, dalle said:

Great! I really like the layout. The narrow streets are excellent done.

The only thing I have a problem with are the lbg tiles on the dbg wall. Stand out too much. But that's just my opinion. 

Thank you dalle, I rather liked how the bley popped out on the dark bley but I can see what you mean.

On 2/18/2019 at 11:49 PM, zoth33 said:

Very Nice wall.  The mix of light and dark gray is great.  I love the way you use tiles in and on the wall.  The battlements are excellent.  Great figs too.  

On 2/19/2019 at 5:27 AM, en_zoo said:

Epic. Beautiful walls, angles and wall texture! :wub: Oh and I really like that arched way behind the wall with so many arches at different levels :thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks en_zoo, I like layering arches that way when I have the space to do so.

On 2/19/2019 at 1:23 PM, de Gothia said:

Just wow SK! Great work! I love this moc as it´s looks so much like the walls do in real life! The texture on the walls with lbg highlights really stands out! 

Hope to see that tournament! 

Thanks dG, though I'm afraid it's quite unlikely I'll build the tournament. I've done a few before, and they're not my favorite build subject matter :laugh:

On 2/19/2019 at 6:47 PM, The Last of Nergoue said:

vert nice, loving the clean walls!

Thank you!

On 2/20/2019 at 2:24 PM, Gideon said:

Excellent overall impression and great job getting the stonework so tight fitting despite the irregular shapes :thumbup:

Thanks Gideon, the SNOT tile design handles curves and angles smoothly which is a big plus.

On 2/21/2019 at 2:52 PM, mccoyed said:

This is probably one of the more realistic looking castle builds I've seen on GoH. Great work. I can just imagine how tedious it would be for you to say that, given your tendency to knock out buildings like it's a daily thing. :P

Thank you mccoyed. I enlisted John's help with the outer wall, and we were then able to pump out most of that in a day. The back wall however took me several days of placing oh so many 2x2 tiles and 1x2 tiles :wall:

On 3/5/2019 at 2:58 PM, Henjin_Quilones said:

Just lovely, SK! The different angles are exceptional here, and the organic way the walls and arches and towers seem to flow together is top-notch. This seems like how a city's defenses would grow and develop over the years; less a result of careful planning and more spontaneous. The narrow streets are a great detail, too. I only wish that we could see more pictures of the back or down below (I did check out Brickbuilt) to further appreciate it. The contrast between the smooth walls and the studded terrain is nice, though the walls almost seem too smooth for me. But the arrow slits are superb! A great section of castle; now go build the rest of it!

Thanks HQ. The walls were so high it was tricky to get good street views and the very back of the model was unfinished. Though I do have a shot of its rainbow glory that I'll use in the build log :laugh:

On 3/8/2019 at 8:58 PM, Grover said:

This is a fantastic build.  The LBG and DBG are great together as almost counterchanged versions of the walls.  The inner and outer walls really appeal to me due to their realism, and all the little details are great.  Love the various arrow loops and the curved roof look.  I'm curious if the holes between the round roof panels are covered up by the fact that it's black on black, or if they're just narrow--can't quite tell in the pic--but they look great.  I like the use of sloped pieces on the middle tower roof too.  The knights riding between the walls are a very nice touch, too!  I would love to see the arrow loops on the crenelations more angled on the inside instead of boxed, but that is not an easy thing to pull off.  I also like how the crenelations are actually useful and not just cosmetic like so many are; they would actually provide cover for an archer!  Very nice!

Thank you Grover. I got the rounded roof to fit together pretty well, but it being black definitely helped conceal any little gaps it had. Normally I would use cheese slopes to bevel the arrow slits, but didn't have enough with using so many to cap the battlements as well.