TheBrickPal

LEGO Ideas - Steamboat Willie

1 hour ago, Huigberts Builds said:

It's indeed overpriced, but so is basically every set this year, I'm afraid to see the European prices.

They're the same as Germany (€89.99 in the Netherlands). 

It's quite lovely, but way too expensive ($130 AUD) for me! Especially when, as a Disney fan, I'm also looking to buy the second Disney CMF series and whatever the rumoured, accompanying D2C is.

While it’s an impressive set it’s not for me. I can’t believe Disney would make demands of a business partner at the expense of the customer. Seems very unlike them to be so cutthroat *satire*

53 minutes ago, Agent 86 said:

It's quite lovely, but way too expensive ($130 AUD) for me! Especially when, as a Disney fan, I'm also looking to buy the second Disney CMF series and whatever the rumoured, accompanying D2C is.

It's $160NZD. We usually get bent over with prices. Crazy that its so high, but I will get one anyway.

Holy moly, this set turned out damn good and I really wanted it but that price, I am nearly on the verge of boycotting all things Disney, which really sucks since they have so much cool stuff. Anyway it is a great set and I will be jealous of all that get it, enjoy. 

The heads of Mickey and Minnie are so cool. Much better than the cmf versions imho. It’s the eyes. 

The set looks great, it even got me tempted to earn it. However i will most likely not be buying it. Wasn’t going for it earlier, and now when i saw its price it’s a definite no-buy.

I do miss Pegleg Pete, and wasn’t there a goat or a cow in that animation as well which was quite important? If you make a set of an animation so epic, you’ll need to come up with all of its characters. People want to reenact that animation. Or simply remake the animation in Lego. 

This set looks awesome!  I really didn't like the original submission, I felt it was just something that would gather dust on a shelf, but the update is adorable and has some really cute features. Not sure why they wasted pieces on the Mickey Mouse shaped display stand for the figures, they really should have swapped that out for the musical goat.  The set is overpriced for what you get, but I still want it...

Also, does anyone else think that Mickey's hat looks just like the one Goofy is often depicted wearing? Could this perhaps mean we will get Goofy in the upcoming Disney CMF line?

Edited by NathanR

I have to agree, I think it’s a little overpriced. I really do like they made it interactive, although I wished they made the steam whistles interactive aswell, I think it could have been done. Another downer is the use of colored pieces for the mechanism. I get why they’ve done that, but since this is a set aimed at adults, it doesn’t seem necessary.

Also, where is Pete?

the set looks great, but overpriced. would have loved it if they can make the ship wheel move as though mickey is driving it.

will buy it though because of the completionist in me.:cry2:

As the creator of this set I wouldnt be happy about the characters also appearing in the CMFs. Like the exact same characters

That's going to hurt the sales of the Ideas set for sure!

Edited by Robert8

33 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

As the creator of this set I wouldnt be happy about the characters also appearing in the CMFs. Like the exact same characters

That's going to hurt the sales of the Ideas set for sure!

Very true, as a lot of us who were after mainly the black and white minifigs have a way of opting out of a very costly set or the Bricklink aftermarket.  Yet, the inclusion of the minifigs in the Disney series further asserts my belief that these designs preceded the Lego Ideas Review.  It probably takes a lot of time to design and prepare a minifig series, much more than just a couple of months.  I think Lego Steamboat Willie (at the very least the minifig)  already existed in Billund before the review board passed the Ideas design.  The reality of the situation for the designer is likely the fact that their timing is extremely lucky.  It sort of compelled Lego to greenlight the project unless they wanted to face the same kind of negativity they did with the Ghostbuster Firehouse.   No passing the project would have led to bad press and accusations, which I am sure they wanted to avoid.  This would also explain why the Ideas project and the the actual set are so different in design.  

I don’t think we can assume that Lego doesn’t (or won’t) work on Ideas sets prior to their announcement of passing the review. They know which sets will or won’t pass far in advance of the public. There’s no indication that Lego cannot touch the product until Ideas announces which product to touch. Case by case of course, but it would not surprise me if Lego worked on this set early—and there wouldn’t be anything wrong with that. 

The price is too high, I'll just get the minifigure from the CMF and whatever new recolor parts on bricklink. Besides that, it be a good set.

On 3/18/2019 at 2:12 PM, Faefrost said:

Am I imagining things or is this the first time an Ideas final design has seemingly increased in size from the original submission? Not complaining mind you. I just really like what they did with the boat and the paddlewheels.

I don’t know about piece count, but in terms of overall set content (build, functionality, etc.), both the Exo Suit and the Pop-Up Book final sets incorporate substantially more than the original submissions. The Exo Suit may have a bit less greebling and detailing than the submission (certainly it has very different greebling and detailing), but it doubled the minifigure count and added a robo-turtle and some additional equipment, and the Pop-Up Book incorporated the original submission’s proposed story (Little Red Riding Hood) while adding a whole additional one (Jack and the Beanstalk).

Also, while not quite as huge an addition / expansion as those, the Yellow Submarine Yellow Submarine added a display stand and a Jeremy figure that weren’t part of the original project.

On 3/18/2019 at 10:32 AM, Huigberts Builds said:

That's a good point, and Lego is known to bend their own rules as seen with Snake in the D2C simpsons set.

Snake doesn’t bend a “rule”. It’s not common for D2C sets to introduce pieces, even ones that remain unique to those sets, but it’s not completely unknown, either (note not only Snake’s head, but both versions of the UCS X-Wing cockpit canopy element, the first of which remains unique to that set).

LEGO doesn’t have a hard and fast rule against Ideas sets including new elements; they just don’t accept submissions that specifically call for them, but they’re perfectly free to approve proposals and then create new elements for them if they decide they’re needed. They just haven’t done so before this year.

Still it could still appear in colour in the cmf series. We will know soon enough I guess. Besides, to be honest the set barely looks like the ideas project in the first place. Can't help but think the set might have already been planned.

I suspect it’s likely they began working on it as soon as it entered review, if not earlier, possibly even once the product idea got to 10k. We do know from past statements that sometimes when they can, they begin working on Ideas sets before they “have” to, and that they sometimes know well before making an official announcement that they’ll do a particular idea. For example, when they announced the Second 2017 Review Results, they softened the blow of the disappointment from none of the projects being approved by announcing they had already chosen at least one project from the following review. That would turn out to be the Pop-Up Book. It was internally a “go” at least four months or so before they publicly announced they were doing it.

I see a lot of comments about the price of this one. For the size of the boat, $90 does indeed seem high... yet it doesn’t actually have that high a price on a per-piece basis; it works out to a hair under 12 cents per piece, which is hardly unusual. What is it about this one that seems so exorbitant - is it just the physical size of the build, which uses a lot of parts in a dense arrangement for a compact build? A lower-than-expected number of minifigures for a minifigure-scale set this size? Something else?

They were definitely working on the CMF versions before the set was chosen...

amgowqbo3fv7.jpg

I think this is a bit unfortunate for the Ideas designer. I've seen a lot of comments about people who wont buy the Ideas sets after the CMF2 was revealed. 

Maybe the Ideas set should have been pushed back for the next review

8 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

I see a lot of comments about the price of this one. For the size of the boat, $90 does indeed seem high... yet it doesn’t actually have that high a price on a per-piece basis; it works out to a hair under 12 cents per piece, which is hardly unusual. What is it about this one that seems so exorbitant - is it just the physical size of the build, which uses a lot of parts in a dense arrangement for a compact build? A lower-than-expected number of minifigures for a minifigure-scale set this size? Something else?

I think it is a combination of the following:

(1) A lot of people voted for and were expecting something in the range of 20s-30s based on the original approved idea.  I will not argue that the released version is perhaps more desirable to most, but it is roughly 3x the price people were expecting.  The Ideas set was originally targeting both the casual and die hard collector.  The version that they are selling lost a lot of the casual collectors.  

(2) The Flintstones set has 3 parts less than Steamboat Willie and 2 minifigures more than the set, yet it is $30 cheaper.  Many people have found it easy to compare these two sets as they were released within a short time of each other.  

(3) Physical size of the build does seem fairly small.  Brick Bounty was $10 more than this and completely towers over it.  It is even less substantial than things like the X-Wing (same price and license holder) or the Thanos Ultimate Battle ship in the last Avengers wave ($20 cheaper for roughly a 100 less parts, plus more minifigs and a bigfig).  

(4) The parts in the kit are fairly unremarkable.  There are some printed ones, but you seem to have a lot of very common black and white parts.  The interior is made out of colored parts to help make the building process easier, but a lot of these seem as common as the ones you find on a PAB wall in the Lego store.  In short, this does not seem to make a very good parts pack.  Looking at some of the online reviews of the unboxing, it does not impress me at all.  

(5) They further devalued their own set by making essentially the same minifigures available in a collectible series.  Naturally, I am relieved by this decision along with many others, but from a business standpoint, I am surprised they did it.  Sure, they emphasized the silver details to point out you can only get them in this set. Yet, the CMF ones are actually more accurate to the original film!  From what I am reading in multiple forums, apparently quite a few of us will be satisfied with the CMFs alone.  Several people who had been planning on grudgingly paying the $90 to get the set changed their mind when they found out the minifigs were available elsewhere.  

Edited by AFOLguy1970
Price of Flintstones set actually $30 less, not $20

Probably the most disappointing Ideas set out there. I liked the small size and simplicity of the original. The final product just seems bloated and over priced.

12 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I think this is a bit unfortunate for the Ideas designer. I've seen a lot of comments about people who wont buy the Ideas sets after the CMF2 was revealed. 

Maybe the Ideas set should have been pushed back for the next review

I think the designer can be happy, as he now gets 90ct per sold set in comparison to 20/30ct per set if TLG would have made the set close to his submission. As TLG has had 24 Ideas sets on the shelf now, I think they know that it will sell. There are many collectors out there that just want to have all the ideas sets and I think, that there are many buyers that prefer the silver over the b&w figs. 

16 hours ago, guachi said:

The final product just seems bloated and over priced.

While I agree it is definitely overpriced, the final product far outshines the original Ideas submission, and looks much nicer, so I feel this "bloating" is neccassary. However, I do believe the set will quickly be discounted once Lego sees more reactions and if it sells poorly, most likely first on Amazon.

I MUCH prefer the set over the original design, the set is a sure purchase for me but I will probably wait until a discount or double points come up as its 20 euros overpriced imo.