TheBrickPal

LEGO Ideas - Central Perk Coffee of Friends

Really cool set. I never thought i would have wanted a Friends set. And it’s also really good priced as well. Well done!

Media is going crazy with this

People are asking for a Monica Apartment set

I wonder if TLG would consider that

The set is really nice, well built, useful pieces and such great prints. Also nice to see it confirmed that LEGO just gouges certain sets because they know they can.

The detail and value of this set look great.

Meanwhile, I'm still peeved that LEGO didn't do new, specific face prints for the women. Yes, the faces they chose kind of work when you just look at the LEGO set, but in real life the people who share the LEGO faces do not look alike. Courtney Cox for instance looks nothing like Katherine Waterson or Sally Ride (who also don't look much like each other, though it's closer). It cheapens the figures to me and makes them feel less like the characters they are supposed to represent. I definitely would have taken a tradeoff of new, exclusive faceprints for the women in exchange for less parts or detail in the set.

3 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

The detail and value of this set look great.

Meanwhile, I'm still peeved that LEGO didn't do new, specific face prints for the women. Yes, the faces they chose kind of work when you just look at the LEGO set, but in real life the people who share the LEGO faces do not look alike. Courtney Cox for instance looks nothing like Katherine Waterson or Sally Ride (who also don't look much like each other, though it's closer). It cheapens the figures to me and makes them feel less like the characters they are supposed to represent. I definitely would have taken a tradeoff of new, exclusive faceprints for the women in exchange for less parts or detail in the set.

I'm pretty sure Phoebe's face was designed with this set in mind, it's just that Fleur used it a few months too early. The same happened with a slope brick that was originally created for a UCS Star Wars model, but got released first in the Overwatch line. Same thing happened with the Ant-Man helmet that was first used in a DC set. The regular face just looks exactly as quirky as the character and the second face is clearly a singing expression for her

That face doesn't look like Phoebe at all 

Roos is the best one for sure. They NAILED

Detail I noticed that is probably of interest to no one but me: this set appears to include every currently-in-production color of the coffee mug piece, which just has me greedily wishing they had gone a step even further and introduced a new color (or brought back the blue one that hasn't been seen in 15 years).

49 minutes ago, tafkatb said:

Detail I noticed that is probably of interest to no one but me: this set appears to include every currently-in-production color of the coffee mug piece, which just has me greedily wishing they had gone a step even further and introduced a new color (or brought back the blue one that hasn't been seen in 15 years).

Well that’s fun!!!! :D I just noticed the 1x2x3 dark green windows!

On 8/9/2019 at 3:42 PM, Puresh said:

I'm pretty sure Phoebe's face was designed with this set in mind, it's just that Fleur used it a few months too early. 

On 8/9/2019 at 9:49 PM, Robert8 said:

That face doesn't look like Phoebe at all 

I potentially agree with both of you. It does appear that they perhaps designed the head with Phoebe in mind, but it's also too similar to be a coincidence to the Ellie head from Jurassic Park that was used for Fleur in the Clock Tower and Hungarian Horntail sets. They designed a head to use for Fleur and Phoebe which is reminiscent of a different Fleur head which also wasn't designed for her, and thus have a design that doesn't really look like either of them.

It’s just so weird that it’s only the women who get reused faces...there’s something off about that

2 hours ago, Whovastron said:

It’s just so weird that it’s only the women who get reused faces...there’s something off about that

Is Gunther a woman?

Although yeah I see your point. It is kinda off. Maybe it's just because the actor's for those have such recognizable facial expressions.

So this has crashed the Lego site worldwide and sold out within hours. If the aggressive pricing was an experiment in a new pricing structure it seems to have worked quite nicely, impressive for a site with only exclusively adult appeal.

19 hours ago, Boettner Builds said:

I finished building my this morning and there’s a mistake in the instructions!

Yes, I came across it too. It says to place down a table where there is already a table. 

Here is my review on this set:

THE GOOD:

• Ross minifigure is excellent.
  • Very very interesting ways to build the carpet floors.
  • Great Seats/Couches build.
  • Love the keyboard.
  • Excellent interior.

THE NOT SO GOOD:

• Phoebe minifigure is big off compared to the other ones.
  • I wish they printed other small piece given they printed the menu of the cafe.

Overall, i think this is an excellent set with a very very reasonable price. (Which is hard to come by recently) The build itself has lots of surprising way in building different elements.  The minifigures are excellent too except may be Phoebe but hey, I won't complain since they did Ross very well.  I would recommend this set to everyone even you are not a fan of the TV series.  By the way, am I the only one think the Rachel minifigure looks like Jennifer Aniston in "We Are The Millers" more than rachel? XD

On 8/9/2019 at 12:03 AM, Robert8 said:

Media is going crazy with this

People are asking for a Monica Apartment set

I wonder if TLG would consider that

On 9/1/2019 at 5:36 PM, ukaskew said:

So this has crashed the Lego site worldwide and sold out within hours. If the aggressive pricing was an experiment in a new pricing structure it seems to have worked quite nicely, impressive for a site with only exclusively adult appeal.

Honestly, if this set is as popular and profitable as people are saying, it definitely would merit a second one. Both locations are insanely Iconic, and they could easily epackage the same characters with different outfits. I hope we get one of the apartment.

I got it today, very impressed with the parts selection and the fact that very few stickers are used. I was very surprised to see all those printed tiles, as I expected them all to be stickers.

Ross and Chandler are spot on, Joey is okay - but the females doesn't really look much like their characters and Gunther is just kinda there. Fun shirt for him, though.

The hair color for Rachel is great but the back is too short for the character, I think Marceline's hair (71285) recolored would have been better about the back.

The hair piece for phoebe is not accurate. Anyone have any ideas on what can be a better hair piece to use/get?