TheBrickPal

LEGO Ideas - Central Perk Coffee of Friends

Would have loved one of the space projects to be taken forward, but damn I’m excited for this.

apprently releasing for the 25th anniversary of the first episode, so September time release date it seems. 

I am sooo happy Friends has won! Really cool! Will definitely get a set and I'm looking forward to see what Lego will do as a final product!

Hoping they'll use yellow minfigs like the original submission, but it'll probably end up like flesh toned like Big Bang Theory.

Set will probably be a bit smaller but this type of set I still like a lot more then the other submissions and many previously approved sets.

Integrating this into some Creator/City builds will be nice.

Edited by TeriXeri

Well my wife will be thrilled to hear this, but I found nearly every other offering more desirable. Oh well I’ll still be buying one.

For me flesh minifigs are much more suitable to licensed sets rather that yellows... Let's leave it for MB, city etc. ... 

Not bad at all.

I hope they do something extra with it

They almost have a complete one, so they can make it modular

A set where I'm more interested in the build rather than the figures. This one was kinda a surprise to me. I wonder what the final product will look like. I assume it's at least a little bit smaller

25 minutes ago, Huigberts Builds said:

A set where I'm more interested in the build rather than the figures. This one was kinda a surprise to me. I wonder what the final product will look like. I assume it's at least a little bit smaller

I really hope they will be able to make it as a good display set first of all - it should look very accurate on a shelf. We NEED very beautiful coach design - that's for sure. And as a huge Friends fan - I'm just dying to get those minifigs! :) So excited! 

Oh god! Huge surprise here! This will be a bomb on media. 

I guess Rachel will reuse the S17 Vet hairpiece. Thats very close to the Rachel hairstyle.

I hope Phoebe will come with Smelly Cat lol. Her hair can be the Hula Girl's (CMF S3).

Ross hair could he the Henry Cavil Superman's. 

Joey could reuse the S14 Zombie Businessman hair 

Chandler could use the Green Lantern hair 

And Monica can use the same hair as Phoebe.

Very unlikely but I hope they will include Crap Bag instead of Gunther. I mean, they already have the Antman face 

35 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Oh god! Huge surprise here! This will be a bomb on media. 

I guess Rachel will reuse the S17 Vet hairpiece. Thats very close to the Rachel hairstyle.

I hope Phoebe will come with Smelly Cat lol. Her hair can be the Hula Girl's (CMF S3).

Ross hair could he the Henry Cavil Superman's. 

Joey could reuse the S14 Zombie Businessman hair 

Chandler could use the Green Lantern hair 

And Monica can use the same hair as Phoebe.

Very unlikely but I hope they will include Crap Bag instead of Gunther. I mean, they already have the Antman face 

I feel the guys wouldn’t suit those hairpieces. The slicked back hair is a bit too short for Ross I think, but then something like the greaser hair is too tall. I think the brick costume boys hair could work for an early seasons joey or chandler, or the Minifigures frame Minifigures hair could work for a season 1 Joey. The zombie businessman’s hair I think is a tad too messy for joey I think. I have a feeling the sleepy head hair might appear on someone.

I hope pheobe comes with her guitar and smelly cat, but not sure what they could include with the others though.

i really hope we get printed Central Perk mugs though! 

Not interested in it myself, but the timing is right in the market and to each their own!  Just doesn't look like an interesting build and since I'm not a huge fan of the subject matter I'll skip this one.  I'm sure it'll do pretty well with sales as long as the price point ends up in the right range, but man... I really wish they'd have gone with another space set or either of the vehicles.  Interesting to see this along with Steamboat Willie being the selections from this round!

12 minutes ago, deraven said:

Not interested in it myself, but the timing is right in the market and to each their own!  Just doesn't look like an interesting build and since I'm not a huge fan of the subject matter I'll skip this one.  I'm sure it'll do pretty well with sales as long as the price point ends up in the right range, but man... I really wish they'd have gone with another space set or either of the vehicles.  Interesting to see this along with Steamboat Willie being the selections from this round!

Just curious, it's obvious that space topic is super popular nowadays but seriously, I just can't really understand why so many people like these types of sets and ideas on their website. To me they are super boring as Lego sets - just grey and black and white tubes ))) I know I am in the minority, but really trying to understand :) 

29 minutes ago, deraven said:

Just doesn't look like an interesting build 

Hadn’t looked st the submission project myself, but man I hope they completely overhaul it because that doesn’t really resemble the coffee house to me. It shouldn’t be a square shape, the window wall should be diagonal so that the door is almost directly behind the sofa. I’m sure they’ll do some Lego magic to it though.

i do agree with you though that the space stuff should of gone through, that ISS would have been awesome. But I reckon it’s just because they don’t want to be producing similar stuff, the space shuttle from the last review and the ISS and space X stuff would have been too similar to Saturn V, and I think the Idea’s team want to do something very different every time. They know there’s a market for space stuff now though so maybe we’ll get some NASA sequel sets to the Saturn V akin to the Ghostmusters firehouse, but then again, they know there’s a market for more Back to the future and Jurassic Park, but they’ve not produced anything, so who knows.

So... Can someone explain to me Steamboat Willie? Under the Ideas Guidelines, There's the line, "Don’t base your idea on a licensed property we currently sell..." And it says they don't accept ideas based on current licenses. Going down, it provides a link to currently active licenses, and listed is Disney Characters (including Mickey Mouse). So... Why does Steamboat Willie get a free pass? Is there some loophole or just the House of Mouse flexing its muscles?

Ideas Guidelines (See "What is a Product Idea)

List of Licenses

Though I'm personally not interested in the set, I'm also not saying it shouldn't be made. I just found it curious and didn't know if there was an explanation or something I missed.

Just now, Kalhiki said:

So... Can someone explain to me Steamboat Willie? Under the Ideas Guidelines, There's the line, "Don’t base your idea on a licensed property we currently sell..." And it says they don't accept ideas based on current licenses. Going down, it provides a link to currently active licenses, and listed is Disney Characters (including Mickey Mouse). So... Why does Steamboat Willie get a free pass? Is there some loophole or just the House of Mouse flexing its muscles?

Ideas Guidelines (See "What is a Product Idea)

List of Licenses

Though I'm personally not interested in the set, I'm also not saying it shouldn't be made. I just found it curious and didn't know if there was an explanation or something I missed.

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/170303-lego-ideas-steamboat-willie/&do=findComment&comment=3080430

Just now, Kalhiki said:

So... Can someone explain to me Steamboat Willie? .

I believe you're in the wrong topic - this is the Friends Ideas Set discussion. Your question is already answered in the Steamboat Willie thread.

Edit: Ninja'd !

Given the huge Friends fan base still existing today, the decision to pass Friends makes sense to me. I only hope they make the model much smaller so that it's not too expensive, with the main focus being the minifigures.

Just now, Clone OPatra said:

I believe you're in the wrong topic - this is the Friends Ideas Set discussion. Your question is already answered in the Steamboat Willie thread.

Yeah, sorry, lol. (That's what I get for not completely reading the title.) Thought it was a catch-all for the new Ideas announcements. Thanks for pointing that out and sorry for the slight derailment.

Carry on.

5 hours ago, adwind said:

Just curious, it's obvious that space topic is super popular nowadays but seriously, I just can't really understand why so many people like these types of sets and ideas on their website. To me they are super boring as Lego sets - just grey and black and white tubes ))) I know I am in the minority, but really trying to understand :)

Nope, I agree with you entirely about those sets being boring, even though I love space/sci fi. The Saturn V was also boring to me. The Exo -Suit was genius though.

I also don't get the attraction of Jurassic World, Pirates...and lots of other stuff!

Glad to see this idea was successful. Although my wife and daughters were rooting for Luke’s Cafe awhile back and sad that it was passed up. Interested to see what the designers do with this set. Just so they don’t Flintstone it up, if you know what I mean. “Pivot!” 

6 hours ago, adwind said:

Just curious, it's obvious that space topic is super popular nowadays but seriously, I just can't really understand why so many people like these types of sets

I like them because I appreciate science in general and find rocketry/cosmology/exploration to be inspiring.  I have the Saturn V and Space Shuttle displayed and would like to add some of the more modern rockets (in a similar scale) to that display and it would be awesome if they did them as official sets.  Just that simple, at least for me.  I mean, same for this set, right?  Like, is anyone going to buy this because it looks like a lot of fun to play with and will be acting out their favorite Friends episodes with it, etc.?  It's because they're fans of the show and want to display it.  I'm a science and space fan.  :classic:

6 hours ago, Whovastron said:

i do agree with you though that the space stuff should of gone through, that ISS would have been awesome. But I reckon it’s just because they don’t want to be producing similar stuff, the space shuttle from the last review and the ISS and space X stuff would have been too similar to Saturn V, and I think the Idea’s team want to do something very different every time.

I understand from the Ideas perspective and that perhaps not being the appropriate place to churn these out since, especially with the rules stating that it's not a place to suggest entire themes, etc., but I sure would love to see them put out more real-world space stuff in and educational line like they have in the past if they're not going to do more under the Ideas banner.  I just hope people continuing to submit stuff like this won't hinder them from producing their own sets (I know they're covered legally in the Ideas terms, but I still don't know how much consideration is given to that internally).

10 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Tbh I think they will keep it limited to the 6 friends. But if they did Gunther I hope we'll get the Finn hairpiece in blonde, it will be so useful to create Captain Rex.

8 hours ago, deraven said:

I like them because I appreciate science in general and find rocketry/cosmology/exploration to be inspiring.  I have the Saturn V and Space Shuttle displayed and would like to add some of the more modern rockets (in a similar scale) to that display and it would be awesome if they did them as official sets.  Just that simple, at least for me.  I mean, same for this set, right?  Like, is anyone going to buy this because it looks like a lot of fun to play with and will be acting out their favorite Friends episodes with it, etc.?  It's because they're fans of the show and want to display it.  I'm a science and space fan.  :classic:

I understand from the Ideas perspective and that perhaps not being the appropriate place to churn these out since, especially with the rules stating that it's not a place to suggest entire themes, etc., but I sure would love to see them put out more real-world space stuff in and educational line like they have in the past if they're not going to do more under the Ideas banner.  I just hope people continuing to submit stuff like this won't hinder them from producing their own sets (I know they're covered legally in the Ideas terms, but I still don't know how much consideration is given to that internally).

I am a space fan and science fan too, I do like astronomy etc. but when it's about lego sets - not mine thing for sure. You are partly right that the same thing with Friends set - it is mostly for fans, but still it is a cafe with pretty cool furniture (hopefully :) ) and some accessories that means you may find some play features as well... rather when Apollo is just a display set for fans. Anyway, you guys have Apollo, it's our turn to play :)