I started working on this model many weeks ago in Lego Digital Designer first.

800x423.jpg

The whole concept started with the quarter circles from BWE, which are able to perfectly accomodate the small rotors. I was heavily inspired by the (movie) Avatar's rendition of helicopters.

After a lot of tinkering in LDD, it was time to start building in real life:

800x600.jpg

It was here I discovered I made a big mistake. The control stick located in the cab used to tilt the rotors was reversed! I had to go back to the drawing board and correct the control mechanism.

Few days, fixes and improvements later, this is what the final model looks like:

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

I wanted the colors to randomly switch from yellow to make it look more eye-striking. Where possible I used black 2L pins instead of the blue ones.

As stated in the topic name, this is a motorized model, powered by the small LiPo battery box which is hidden in the tail, next to a single M motor:

800x600.jpg

The single M motor powers a total of 3 functions:

- Drive rotors (always engaged, spinning in one direction only)

- Opening cargo doors and rear ramp (powered by a gearbox)

- Working winch (powered by a gearbox)

You can see the driveline of all the motorized functions here:

800x423.jpg

The red mechanism at closest to the M motor makes sure rotors are spinning in one direction only, irrelevant of which direction M motor spins. This way changing direction of the gearbox does not change in which direction rotors spin.

Gearboy in front switches between openining doors+ramp and a winch.

The doors and ramp are actuated by a single actuator located right behind the cockpit:

800x600.jpg

The rear of the cargo doors is connected to the ramp via bewel gears, so both open at once:

800x600.jpg

I also bult a small container which can be easily lifted by the motorized winch:

800x600.jpg

The container can easily fit inside the cargo bay area:

800x600.jpg

You can see the finished model's video below:

Edited by Zerobricks

Now this is a very sci-fi helicopter, unique and innovative as well. The way you motorized those rotors is simply genious, both light and effective. The one-way mechanism is something I have never seen before, honestly. Color scheme is very catchy,  I just love it. You are a wordy competitor, good luck in this amazing contest!

Oh man, this looks great. I really like the use of the BWE quarter circles and the way you’ve supported them. I also like the way you’ve chosen to drive the rotors.

The very best of luck :thumbup:

Where the f*** did this come from, truly some stealthy competition here :laugh:!!

Some very innovative and smart mechanical parts in there, I especially love the controlmixer joystick in the cab (by far the smallest and smartest I have seen)! And the rotation regulator ratchet is also really cleverly done. For my personal taste the looks are just ok, but your functionalities more than make up for that! Welcome to the party:grin::thumbup:

Wow very impressive, love the way you made the rotors spin in one direction regardless of which way the motor is spinning, simple but very clever. Great work @Zerobricks.

I got flicked in the eye with a rubber band once, so not much of a safety device there :laugh:

great model, great functions! so much happening in this.

15 hours ago, shadow_elenter said:

Looks like something I could have built LOL

With only a single M motor? Sounds implausible.

1 hour ago, pleegwat said:

With only a single M motor? Sounds implausible.

Well... you got me there!
Thinking back, the least motorized MOC I have posted was 13 motors:laugh:
I just love complex RC models I guess...

I have seen YouTube video about minute ago and I can only take my hat of.