zsincze

[MOC] Medieval Tower by the Sea

Hello everyone. It seems like I manage to finish 1 build/year :)

As i have always admired some of the crazy towers that have been built and shared over the years by our community, I got hungry to build one myself. So here it is, a medieval tower, that is by the sea, and the first things sailors would see as they approach the coastlines.

Front view

Top ViewBalcony

Bridge

Fisherman

Idle Soldiers

Edited by zsincze

I like the tower.  The tile roof is lovely.  The base of the tower is pretty neat.  The rockwork is good.  I like the guy fishing and the pier too.  Overall good job.  

Isn't it a tower by the sea? ;-)
Lovely design, and the blue for rooftop is pretty courageous! I like the middle section the most, and the shoreline is cleverly done!

2 hours ago, BardDandelion said:

The building and the rockwork is awesome but why does water look so poor?

I honestly like it this way, it's a great contrasat with the elaborate tower, and the plain blue desk looks so calm. :-)

On 2/20/2019 at 7:35 PM, Aine said:

Isn't it a tower by the sea? ;-)

Oh damn you are right :) Nice catch. 

On 2/21/2019 at 6:40 PM, BardDandelion said:

The building and the rockwork is awesome but why does water look so poor?

On 2/21/2019 at 9:23 PM, Aine said:

I honestly like it this way, it's a great contrasat with the elaborate tower, and the plain blue desk looks so calm. :-)

Honestly the water is this way because of a lack of pieces :)

I tried to simulate the different levels of depth but using different tiles, but it could have used a bit more texture to simulate the soft waves. 

So in lack of a better solution I left it with the simple blue. It is a peaceful scene anyway so a calm water underlines the state.

I was also thinking of changing it to a conflict/invasion scenario and choppy waters would work nicely there. 

And thank you for the feedback, it really helps me as I try and develop a style of my own. 

Edited by zsincze

Very detailed and well constructed build. I love how round the tower is, the landscape and the minifigures used. I can imagine boats and small ships docking there to supply and trade.

On 3/2/2019 at 11:37 PM, MoustacheBaer said:

Very detailed and well constructed build. I love how round the tower is, the landscape and the minifigures used. I can imagine boats and small ships docking there to supply and trade.

That is exactly what I was going for. A very small dock big enough for supply ships to bring things like food, weapons and even small number of people. But small enough so larger ships could not dock there and therefore making it a challenge for invaders. 

Nice work on the rocky landscape. I really like the stairs cut into the rocks. My only criticism would be lack of depth in the sea. You could try using different shades of blue plates to add another layer of detail. As for the tower, it's built in a similar fashion as much other medieval-inspired building, and it's a style I like a lot. The roof of the tower looks very interesting, it's not easy to cover a round tower with something sturdy enough, but not too heavy. Well done.