48 minutes ago, suenkachun said:

Looks great! I did a quick search in Microsoft Word (latest 365 version) and found a font called “Posterama”, other than the number 5 the rest looks a tiny bit more accurate than your version, hope this helps.

Changed

If anyone is interested, I made these two decals some time ago:

zNNm6cs.png

I sent the files to Stephan,

Edited by polymaker

Just now, polymaker said:

If anyone is interested, I made these two decals some time ago:

zNNm6cs.png

They're not perfect but does the job.

Very impressive! May I ask what the dimensions of the relevant png files need to be for such clarity? I know a standard Decoration in LDD is 128 pixels times 128 pixels and creating such small images certainly can’t output this clearly. Thanks in advance!

Just now, suenkachun said:

Very impressive! May I ask what the dimensions of the relevant png files need to be for such clarity? I know a standard Decoration in LDD is 128 pixels times 128 pixels and creating such small images certainly can’t output this clearly. Thanks in advance!

I've made the PNGs 1024x1024. Otherwise the text was all squished and blurred.

21 minutes ago, marcuslfalk said:

but i think the 1x1 heart might be slightly off grid

You are correct. Unfortunately, we can't change that since that would mean that all 1x1 hearts would get removed i previous models.

Thanks to everyone who helped continue updating LDD with the latest content! I thought I’d contribute a bit and post my main findings regarding LDD Decorations.

With LDD now being even more “customisable” than before, I decided to write a comprehensive guide regarding Decoration Sizes in LDD. Thanks to a few odd files in the original “Decorations Folder”, I discovered that LDD can actually accept a few other PNG dimensions to better fit certain Bricks. However, there is currently a small error regarding how 1x6 Decorations are handled in LDD; and in my opinion, this needs to be addressed in some way before we actually allow 1x8 Decorations in LDD.

Feel free to have a look at this simple five-page PDF guide here and I hope this will be useful for everyone helping to add more updated content to LDD. Any comments and suggestions are always welcome and thank you all in advance!

53 minutes ago, Stephan said:

You are correct. Unfortunately, we can't change that since that would mean that all 1x1 hearts would get removed i previous models.

That’s a very small difference, I believe it’s in LDD’s tolerances and it wouldn’t be a problem for older models.

1 hour ago, SylvainLS said:

That’s a very small difference, I believe it’s in LDD’s tolerances and it wouldn’t be a problem for older models.

Can we test this ? I could look into the Unity pack if that piece exists (I expect). I think it would have the ‚official‘ placing / dimensions. 

Still the only difference is placing on the ground an not not builds as this is controlled by connections. 

Ok I checked this.

This is the current mod part:

Heart1.PNG

This is the unity part:

Heart2.PNG

As we can see this is basically 45degrees rotated compared to the current mod part. So I assume to use the Unity Version would break quite some builds due to the 45degee rotation.

The current mod part supports also illegal builds as follows:

heart1_build.PNG

Also here a comparison of left - current mod, vs right - Unity. The unity has some gap between and the current mod is gapless. I do not know what is the correct way.

Hearts.PNG

14 minutes ago, M2m said:

Also here a comparison of left - current mod, vs right - Unity. The unity has some gap between and the current mod is gapless. I do not know what is the correct way.

The real life way is the left one. I also think that the one from Unity will be harder to use (you have to rotate it 45° every time).

Anyway the unity part seems to be better moulded, it is not possible to modify the unity part rotating it in the same way the present part is?

Yes, that shouldn't be a problem. We can change the 3D mesh and keep the other data (connection, position and collisions). And if necessary re-position the part.

12 hours ago, suenkachun said:

Feel free to have a look at this simple five-page PDF guide here and I hope this will be useful for everyone helping to add more updated content to LDD. Any comments and suggestions are always welcome and thank you all in advance!

Cool! How would this work for 2x6 tiles? And 3x3 round tiles? In theory? I created some decals in practice, but I would like to mirror that outcome with the theory.

1 hour ago, Calabar said:

Anyway the unity part seems to be better moulded, it is not possible to modify the unity part rotating it in the same way the present part is?

The inner heart is the Unity. The outer (bigger is the current). So one would conclude which size is correct.

Also the unity part does not have a 45degree angle at the front of heart, but lightly more. 

Heart_Compare.PNG

3 hours ago, M2m said:

The inner heart is the Unity. The outer (bigger is the current). So one would conclude which size is correct.

Also the unity part does not have a 45degree angle at the front of heart, but lightly more. 

this is the real heart for reference:

20210121_165705.jpg

looks like the unity is the most accurate one

Edited by marcuslfalk

I checked the part 39739 problem and the issue is the connectivity: it slightly misaligned and needed to be moved to the corner. Hope it helps.

On 1/21/2021 at 6:57 PM, Stephan said:

Yes, that shouldn't be a problem. We can change the 3D mesh and keep the other data (connection, position and collisions). And if necessary re-position the part.

Cool! How would this work for 2x6 tiles? And 3x3 round tiles? In theory? I created some decals in practice, but I would like to mirror that outcome with the theory.

If we stick with the basic ratio of 1 Brick=64 pixel (px), then a 2x6 Tile would be 128px times 384px, and a 3x3 Rould Tile would be 384px times 384px, then you could scale up each version for better quality (such as double the size which is what I usually do). As round tiles are basically round versions of squares, just creating a standard square version (such as 128px times 128px then scaled up if necessary) should work fine. In the future, always calculate the relevant Decoration sizes using the basic ratio of 1 Brick=64px and you should be correct (then scale things up if necessary).

However, as I did mention at the end of the document, LDD currently fails to handle 1x6 Decorations correctly. Using the basic ratio of 1 Brick=64px, 1x6 should be at least 64px times 384px. But currently, the 1x6 needs to be at least 64px times 512px for it to be displayed correctly, which is in fact the correct base ratio for a 1x8 Decoration. Also, both 1x3 and 2x3 are relatively newer Brick sizes, so LDD was never programmed to properly accept Decorations with odd number sizes. Using the basic ratio again, 1x3 should be at least 64px times 192px, and 2x3 should be at least 128px times 192px. In addition, if we include the larger Decoration sizes as well then 6x6 should be at least 384px times 384px, and 8x16 should be at least 512px times 1024px. Do note that LDD will not accept Decorations larger than 1024px on any sides.

I have no clue regarding how LDD actually handles Decoration sizes, but the 1x6 size issue needs to be fixed somehow for the basic ratio to work fully, then we can enable LDD to correctly accept 1x8 Decorations using the current 1x6 size. The next thing to do will be updating LDD so it can properly accept Decorations with odd number sizes (1x3/2x3, etc.) before these ratios are applied onto the relevant Bricks. For now, we can in fact add support for 1x8/6x6/8x16, etc., but the relevant Decorations need to be scaled up squares so that they can at least be displayed clearer, or we could just stick with the old LDD standard by making all Decorations 128px times 128px (although they will end up looking quite blurry in LDD).

@suenkachun About the supported decorations size & ratio, I'm might be wrong but I'm pretty sure that it has to do with OpenGL more than LDD.

LDD uses an old version of OpenGL and it is known that it does not handle well textures (images) with sizes that are not power of two (e.g. 128, 256, 512)

This would explain why 1x2 and 1x4 images works be cause the width and height are both powers of two (e.g. 32 x 64, 32 x 128)
But an 1x6 image cannot be loaded because it is impossible to have a number that is a power of two for both the width and height.
So in theory an 1x8 image would work in LDD (e.g. 32 x 256)

By the way, thank you for making me discover that LDD can load non-square texture.

Edited by polymaker

2 hours ago, polymaker said:

@suenkachun About the supported decorations size & ratio, I'm might be wrong but I'm pretty sure that it has to do with OpenGL more than LDD.

LDD uses an old version of OpenGL and it is known that it does not handle well textures (images) with sizes that are not power of two (e.g. 128, 256, 512)

This would explain why 1x2 and 1x4 images works be cause the width and height are both powers of two (e.g. 32 x 64, 32 x 128)
But an 1x6 image cannot be loaded because it is impossible to have a number that is a power of two for both the width and height.
So in theory an 1x8 image would work in LDD (e.g. 32 x 256)

By the way, thank you for making me discover that LDD can load non-square texture.

Thank you for the information! As this seems to be an issue to do with OpenGL, I guess it’ll be hard to fix, even with the latest updates to LDD made possible by the wonderful people here. If your guesses are correct, this means that enabling 1x8 and 8x16 Decorations won’t be any trouble at all, as LDD should successfully display these Decorations since they have sizes that are the power of two.

In this case, I guess we could use the following new rules when implementing newer Decorations into LDD for now (always using the base ratio of 1 Brick=64px):

1. 1x1 Flat Tile/2x2 Flat Tile/Most Irregular Surfaces: 256px times 256px, 512px times 512px or 1024px times 1024px (the old 64px and 128px versions are a bit too small so 256px should be the minimum).

2. 1x2 Flat Tile/2x4 Flat Tile: 128px times 256px, 256px times 512px or 512px times 1024px.

3. 1x4 Flat Tile: 128px times 512px or 256px times 1024px.

4. 1x8 Flat Tile: once Decoration support is added, the Decoration must be 128px times 1024px for the maximum display quality.

5. 8x16 Flat Tile: once Decoration support is added, the Decoration must be 512px times 1024px for the maximum display quality.

6. Any 3x3 and 6x6 Decorations can also be produced with sizes 256px times 256px, 512px times 512px or 1024px times 1024px, as these are considered squares too.

7. 1x6 Flat Tile/1x3 Flat Tile/2x3 Flat Tile and any other surfaces with 3 Bricks or 6 Bricks on at least one side: make sure that the resulting PNG File is either 512px times 512px or 1024px times 1024px to produce better display quality. LDD will have to stretch the Decorations to fit the relevant surfaces, so it’s best to produce larger source images.

On 1/20/2021 at 11:49 PM, polymaker said:

I've made the PNGs 1024x1024. Otherwise the text was all squished and blurred.

By the way, you can now expand these two Decoration PNGs back into 512px times 1024px for the maximum display quality in LDD, really looking forward to the 8x16 Flat Tile being decoratable soon (I have an upcoming LEGO project involving several decorated 8x16 Flat Tiles, and I can preview the end results in LDD once the Brick becomes decoratable). Keep up the great work!

On 1/22/2021 at 1:15 AM, Stephan said:

I compared it with Mecabricks, and the Unity one is better.

Ok here are 3 comparisons:

1) Left (red) is current LDD Mod Part

2) Middle (green) is part based on Unity Pack, without any further changes

3) Right (blue) is part based on Unity Pack, but rotated by 45degrees and slightly moved to match position of the current LDD Mod part

Hearts_compare.PNG

Also a comparison of 3) and New Elementary's Review of part. I also added collisions accordingly.

hearttile_connections.jpeg Heart_collision_elementary.PNG

LEGO® MOVIE 2 review: 70830 Sweet Mayhem’s Systar Starship! | New Elementary: LEGO® parts, sets and techniques

I think most likely 3) is the best way to go if we want to replace the current heart. However the addition of collisions (current one doesn't feature any collisions) introduces a risk of 'breaking' some builds. because of collision issues (either the heart piece being removed - or adjacent parts)

Edited by M2m

I agree on 3.

Also, I think that builds that relied on a custom part not having collisions (or having wrong collisions) should not prevent adding or correcting the collisions.  Besides, the risk seems very low with this part.