I last visited Eurobricks regularly in 2018, and now is the right time that I rose from the dead! Around March 2018, I stumbled upon a post somewhere regarding decos, which led to successfully extracting the “db” folder myself. Since then, I have been focusing on custom decos for my own LEGO projects in LDD, and the results have improved massively over time. Although my LDD was already customised with a handful of custom decos, nothing could compare to the amazing work produced by such a dedicated LEGO Community here, and I must thank everyone from the bottom of my heart!

With the latest advancements in customisation regarding LDD, I was wondering whether the following issues could be addressed in some way. Some are old issues while others are nice additions to the programme.

1. I first discovered this in 2016, but this tiny visual bug still exists today: when inserting a 1/4 Circle Tile 1x1 (Part 25269), the Stud underneath it will disappear for no reason, and will only reappear if you drag the Tile out and place it down again. You also have to use the “Shape Tool” to select all Circle Tiles then drag and place for every Stud to reappear in one go, but the Studs will always disappear again once you reopen your file.

2. Railway tracks in LDD have not been the most accurate. The main issue is the four old 9V track elements (Parts 74746, 74747, 75541 and 75542, Rail 16M With El.) all have square ends on either side instead of the proper connecting joints as shown on the new plastic Track elements (Parts 53400 and 53441, Rail 16M). Other than this, I hope to see Train, Track 9V Crossing (Part 32087) added for the old 9V series. For new plastic rails, adding Switch Left (Part 18612 and Part 53406), Switch Right (Part 18596 and Part 53403) and Train Rail Crossing (Set 7996, Part 57794) will complete the series. P.S., I was initially surprised that LEGO only added the two 9V switch rails into LDD but not the new plastic versions. Since the Monorail and roller coaster elements were successfully created and added to LDD, I guess modifying the regular railway tracks and adding the missing ones won’t be that hard.

3. Certain Bricks still can’t be decorated (un)officially despite recent community updates. I know that others have successfully done this, but I would still love to see the following elements being able to be decorated in (un)official releases even though no relevant decos are available in the “db”:main slope of Part 35338 Roof Tile 1X1X2/3 (i.e., Cheese Wedge); top of Part 63834 Flat Tile 1x3 (this is currently the only shorter flat tile without decoration support); main slope of Part 13334 Roof Tile 2X3/25° (for at least that famous space logo which I’ve seen multiple times on other topics); main slope of Part 38135 Roof Tile 2X3, 45 Deg. and main slope of Part 30695 Roof Tile 2X4, Deg. 45. These five elements are currently my most wanted elements requiring decoration support, and all of them have at least one official version with printed parts on their main surface(s).

That’s all I have for now. Keep up the great work and thanks again!

1 hour ago, badchriss said:

honestly, the instructions are a bit missleading...)

The instructions are step by step how I managed to "free" the db.lif file.

12 hours ago, M2m said:

Input ? Thoughts

I will take a look at those parts. We should keep real life assemblies assemblies. So basically, if a set tells you to add parts together, it's not an assembly (minifigure torso vs Turkey with separate turkey legs).

1 minute ago, suenkachun said:

the Stud underneath it will disappear for no reason

We cannot fix this. This is called culling and is an optimization (all studs underneath other parts get removed, this improves handling a lot).

2 minutes ago, suenkachun said:

Certain Bricks still can’t be decorated (un)officially

I am planning to work on this. But, so many new parts to add, so it's not very high on the priority list (but it will be done slowly!)

9 hours ago, Stephan said:

I will take a look at those parts. We should keep real life assemblies assemblies. So basically, if a set tells you to add parts together, it's not an assembly (minifigure torso vs Turkey with separate turkey legs).

Another example is the "Killer Croc". According to the instructions ( https://www.lego.com/cdn/product-assets/product.bi.core.pdf/6187458.pdf ) the body and head is one assembly and only the upper jaw needs to be "build" and of course the arms. In LDD we have 2 parts for the body: 28240 (Torso) and 28235 (the Head without upper jaw). From my point of view 28240 and 28235 should be combined into one assembly.

Similar the mountain lion which according to the manual ( https://www.lego.com/cdn/product-assets/product.bi.core.pdf/6230107.pdf ) is one part (assembly) and in LDD there are 3 separated parts (head, front body, back legs).

I think creating proper assemblies could reduce the "clutter" in Animal Section but as pointed out there are all kinds of drawbacks and also ramification for LDRAW conversion.

Edited by M2m

1 hour ago, M2m said:

From my point of view 28240 and 28235 should be combined into one assembly.

I agree. But which regular non-assembly specific parts will be removed from the palette when you make assemblies complete with them? 

2 hours ago, Stephan said:

I agree. But which regular non-assembly specific parts will be removed from the palette when you make assemblies complete with them? 

No non-assembly parts will be removed from the view. But in older builds those parts which are now included in an assembly will be removed if they have been used. Because they are now an assembly. 

Edited by M2m

1 hour ago, M2m said:

But in older builds those parts which are now included in an assembly will be removed if they have been used

Ah yes, I understand. Well, that means that the parts pack will include a disclaimer. I could make a separate optional parts pack for those assemblies? Then users can choose if they want to have cleaner, better and neater assemblies and categories.

3 hours ago, Stephan said:

Ah yes, I understand. Well, that means that the parts pack will include a disclaimer. I could make a separate optional parts pack for those assemblies? Then users can choose if they want to have cleaner, better and neater assemblies and categories.

Maybe disclaimer is enough. I don't think the overhead of 2 part packs is necessary. Anyway people can just not copy over the assemblies (or delete them) as they wish. But I guess a disclaimer is good.

For LDraw conversions, with LDD:

• on export, the assemblies aren’t used at all, the subparts are always exported as standalone parts,
  • on import: if the lxfml is in your db and there’s an assembly statement in ldraw.xml, the subparts are assembled on import, if ldraw.xml doesn’t know about the assembly, the parts aren’t imported, if the .lxfml isn’t in your db, if ldraw.xml says the parts should form an assembly, the parts aren’t imported.

So, the problem is on import, when ldraw.xml and the db don’t agree.

(Funny note: when the assembly is in the db but not in ldraw.xml, LDD tells you 1 part couldn’t be imported, while what couldn’t be imported is several subparts.)

18 hours ago, suenkachun said:

3. Certain Bricks still can’t be decorated (un)officially despite recent community updates.

Adding deco support to the geometries (.g) files is relatively straight forward. For me the reason I did not do that yet, was more that I would also have to add at least 1 decoration (.png) to make use of it. Currently I find the numbering logic (or lack of logic) for decoration filenames so confusing, that I didn't venture into that area too much.

23 minutes ago, M2m said:

Currently I find the numbering logic (or lack of logic) for decoration filenames so confusing, that I didn't venture into that area too much.

For printed parts we can use the DesignID of that specific part (as seen on Brickset), since that is unique to the specific print. For stickered parts...... don't know yet.

On 1/7/2021 at 3:10 AM, suenkachun said:

Part 35338 Roof Tile 1X1X2/3 (i.e., Cheese Wedge);

13334 Roof Tile 2X3/25°

63834 Flat Tile 1x3

These parts are now decoratable in my parts pack, but in LDD the part no are 50746 and 3298 (see the parts at the left border). I added reference to the 3070 flat tile deco (55071.png) and didn't create a new one for 50746 and for the  Roof Tile 2X3/25° is used the space logo which also was already there.

New-Parts.PNG

Edited by M2m

4 hours ago, M2m said:

I just added it to my part pack. So it should be in the next official parts release.

Many many thanks man!

Hi all, looking for some help please.

I've unpacked DB.LIF and tried a couple of the pack updates on the page that links to here as well as rooting round Github without luck.

I'm just trying to add the 3 x 5 I-Beam, 14720. Got the 14720.xml no problem but the 14720.g for the LOD0 folder is nowhere to be found !!

If anyone can help with either :-

Do you know where I can find it ??

Do you have it in your LOD0 folder and can upload and link so I can get it ??

Do you know how to turn a .OBJ file into a one that works ??

Do you know how to turn a .STL file into one that works ??

I only need this one piece and it's driving me nuts !!

Thanks in advance :)

PS - once I add those 2 files will I need to do anything else or will it finally let me build instead of using highlighted 3x1's ?!?

There’s only 14720.xml because 14720 already is in LDD 4.3.11 / 2670.  The xml was corrected by Equilibrium (I don’t remember what was exactly correctled… it has just been moved to the Technic Beams category).

If you don’t see it, first check you’re in Extended mode (View | New ttheme | LDD Extended) then check your LDD version (Help | About).  If you don’t have “brick version” 2670, but still LDD 4.3.11, then you’ve installed the infamous 4.3.12.  If so, see this message.

Edited by SylvainLS

Didn't have 2670.g - solved

Tried LDD Extended - got a 2x2 studded brick with an ! for it and nothing showed dragging into the build area - oh joy

Tried copying elsewhere and renaming it as 14720g and shoving that in - nope.

LDD About says 4.3.11 but I'm trying a reinstall with the alternate download as soon as it's ready to go - wish me luck and thanks :)

Thank you so much - it was the dreaded 4.3.12, looked at the installer when the replacement downloaded !!

Sort my designs later - and make a note to sort the xml too - right now, time for a celebratory drink :grin:

Anyone knows what rendering tool i can use to render LDD files that contain the new and updated parts? Tried the renderering tool from Stud.io but Stud.io replaces many of the new parts with a plain questionmark box (which it also hilariously renders.

Also tried PovRay to LDD converter so i can render it with PovRay but the converter chokes on some of the new parts as well (no wonder as it seems it was last updated 2016).

anything else i can use, maybe Bluerender or BUSUFL by bubible?

Also i can´t make a parts list with LDD, it just crashes to desktop without a warning...just poof. Probably a known sideeffect of the new parts library.

Any help would be apprechiated.

3 hours ago, badchriss said:

Anyone knows what rendering tool i can use to render LDD files that contain the new and updated parts? Tried the renderering tool from Stud.io but Stud.io replaces many of the new parts with a plain questionmark box (which it also hilariously renders.

Also tried PovRay to LDD converter so i can render it with PovRay but the converter chokes on some of the new parts as well (no wonder as it seems it was last updated 2016).

Also i can´t make a parts list with LDD, it just crashes to desktop without a warning...just poof. Probably a known sideeffect of the new parts library.

Hello. For the rendering side, I had some success with Bluerender ver. 006. I'll share the URL for it here.

As for the parts list issue, I'm not sure what to do on that end.

6 hours ago, badchriss said:

Best you can do is the next:

1 - You import the LDD file on Stud.io

2 - Remove the corrupted pieces

3 - Open the PartDesigner tool of Stud.io (standalone program)

4 - Import on it the pieces you need from the LDraw catalogue ( you download them in .dat format) -> https://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptlist.cgi

5 - Export from PartDesigner to Stud.io those pieces

6 - In the "Custom parts" section of Stud.io you will have access to those pieces

It works for me

First, I would suggest to convert from LDD to LDraw either in LDD with a proper ldraw.xml or with another tool (e.g. lxf2ldr(.html) ;) ).  Studio is not up to date on the conversion, especially for new/custom parts.

There’ll still be parts that are not in Studio yet but it should already be more complete.  So you’ll have to import them (see this message on the Studio forum for ready-made Studio parts that are not yet in Studio).

Then, some of the parts in the custom parts do not exist in LDraw.  (They are listed at the end of my ldraw.xml if you want to check which parts won’t convert.)

13 hours ago, badchriss said:

Anyone knows what rendering tool i can use to render LDD files that contain the new and updated parts?

anything else i can use, maybe Bluerender or BUSUFL by bubible ?

You can try to use LIF-Creator to rebuild db.lif including the new parts and mods. Then bluerender and busufl work: 

You can use the blender LDD import plugin (but it’s very beta): 

13 hours ago, badchriss said:

If you talk about about "Export BOM" function in LDD where you generate an Excel (.xlsx) file of a list of all parts and its quantities.

This works for me (including list with new parts) in LDD on macOS - didn't try on windows.

Example: https://github.com/sttng/LDD/raw/master/assets/Untitled.xlsx

Edited by M2m

New-Parts.PNG

Hi,

Right now I am working on a Lego Dino Riders project and I really need those Triceratops parts ( head and legs ). 

I tried to install Unity Microgame to take them but it don t work because it is only for 64 bits ( I use an old windows 32 bits ).

So, it would be very helpfull if someone can share  me those 3 parts : 98170, 98172 and TriHeadc01 in .Fbx, .dat or .obj format whatever ?  

Thanks always .

Edited by Sebiron

57 minutes ago, Sebiron said:

So, it would be very helpfull if someone can share  me those 3 parts : 98170, 98172 and TriHeadc01 in .Fbx, .dat or .obj format whatever ?  

I will send you the files this evening.

The new parts pack is now Being verified and improved, and will follow shortly.

Please do note that the triceratops body is not yet available.

On 1/8/2021 at 9:01 PM, M2m said:

These parts are now decoratable in my parts pack, but in LDD the part no are 50746 and 3298 (see the parts at the left border). I added reference to the 3070 flat tile deco (55071.png) and didn't create a new one for 50746 and for the  Roof Tile 2X3/25° is used the space logo which also was already there.

Thank you so much for the updates, looking forward to the next (un)official release!