3 hours ago, polymaker said:

His model has some artifacts from LDraw import, like bad topology around studs and holes**, but the top surface has no problems. (** applies to part 30116)
I don't understand why my algorithm has issues with the top because it has a simple enough topology.

About the outlines on each "facets", this is mostly because the algorithm is hard-coded with a 35° tolerance (between the normals of the two face of an edge) to detect "hard" edges to outline.
So in the case of the part 30320, the top surface "facets" looks like they have less than 35° of difference, so no outlines are produced.

I plan to make this value customizeable in the near future.
In fact there is a bunch of other useful settings and parameters that are hard-coded at the moment because I have not come around to finish the settings management system and interface (UI).

Also for the moment my programs always recalculates the outlines but when I'm done it will keeps the original data when a model is imported from LDD, with the option to force an update if the outlines had issues.

Awesome news! Glad you could find the issue, I was stumped for a while there what I was doing wrong. As for the LDRAW import, are there any settings (in the blender plugin that is) that I should/should not be clicking on when I do the import? I try to do it by instruction-type, basic geometry, no bevels, etc, but maybe there's a setting on there that I shouldn't be playing with.

1 minute ago, zweifuss said:

Awesome news! Glad you could find the issue, I was stumped for a while there what I was doing wrong. As for the LDRAW import, are there any settings (in the blender plugin that is) that I should/should not be clicking on when I do the import? I try to do it by instruction-type, basic geometry, no bevels, etc, but maybe there's a setting on there that I shouldn't be playing with.

Well, due to how LDraw works, most model imported from LDraw suffers from bad geometry and needs some work. And due to difference between LDraw and LDD units some scaling is required.

I think @Equilibrium posted a few tips before on how to optimize a model for LDD (and Brick Studio for outline generation).

I personally use the high-definition setting when importing. Beside that I do a lot of adjustment manually.

If I have the spare time someday, I would like to make a video tutorial to show how I create bricks from blender to Brick Studio :grin:

Is there a way to create a custom theme or such where I can keep all my predefined bricks and colors like the templates, but as a whole theme?

LDD Mindstorms mode and LDD “normal” mode allow to “filter by boxes” (icon on the bottom of the parts palette).

The “boxes” are defined as LIFs (placed in the directory Palettes next to db.lif), so you may look how they are structured and make your own.

Note though that LDD extended doesn’t allow to filter on anything: it always shows all the parts.  So you’ll surely have to switch modes often or stay in one of the crippled modes.

Another possibility would be to put all the custom parts in their own category.  You’ll need to edit all the .xml and change the category number and name.

Thanks for the swift reply. I will have a look at modifying the Mindsotorms pallette, probabaly gonna try copy paste parts from Templates into it.

Hi,

I downloaded lif extractor and followed the instructions for the db.lif file, i then downloaded the latest parts file and extracted to the db folder in lif extractor folder.

How do i get the new parts into ldd program?

They should be visible and usable in LDD Extended (menu View| New themes).

If they are not, there’s two possible problems:

1. You have to rename db.lif to something else (e.g. “db-orig.lif”).
  2. When you extract the latest .rar file, there’s a “20200805” root directory.  It’s the contents of this directory that should be in the “db” directory, not “2020805”.

solved the problem, I had liff extractor in a folder as soon as i put the exe on the desktop it extracted the db file into ldd folder and not the folder it was in.

41 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

Thank you for this update. Unfortunately adding the colored motors as templates and trying to use them causes them to be removed?

Interesting find. I haven't tried to do such thing. I'm not sure what causes it. I'll look into it tomorrow.

Edit:

Seems like it's collision issue.

Edited by Equilibrium

On 8/15/2020 at 12:20 AM, Zerobricks said:

I will have a look at modifying the Mindsotorms pallette, probabaly gonna try copy paste parts from Templates into it.

Stay tuned. I might have something really useful for you guys in a while. I'm creating a custom pallette with all pre-multi-colored parts: motors, pneumatics, hair pieces etc.

EDIT: finished; Palette will be included in the next update.

Edited by Stephan

I've taken a break from UFO parts to wait for a new build of Brick Studio (sorry to the two of you waiting for them), and playing around with some other parts. I've added connectivity to the 18923 (Car Chassis 6x16x2) so that it fits together with its two wheel components (18924) and the 18926 part (Skip 8x12x5) I've added connectivity so that it can connect to the 4x4 roof (which it uses to hinge to other parts). I mostly did this because I was trying to construct my son's first ever Lego set, 10680 (Garbage Truck). Here are some pictures of what I mean, and the XML and LXF files. I didn't need to change the .G files, no geometry was changed.

800x472.jpg800x589.jpg

https://bricksafe.com/files/zweifuss/ldd-new-and-modified-parts/18923.xml

https://bricksafe.com/files/zweifuss/ldd-new-and-modified-parts/18926.xml

https://bricksafe.com/files/zweifuss/ldd-new-and-modified-parts/10680.lxf

I've also been playing around with the 32187 file, again. And in real life, it seems to me the connection is more like this: 640x607.jpg640x624.jpg , but I'm not sure how to write out the XML so that it works properly... still have to play around with it some more. It's really stumping me.

Edited by zweifuss

On 8/11/2020 at 4:56 AM, Kuramapika1 said:

And please test it before release.

I downloaded all parts, but before they can be released in an update, there are still some major and minor things to fix:
• Most parts have holes in the geometry, possibly due to a poor LDraw model;
• The holes of the sheets are too large;
• 6642 has one clip that is acting weird (it's upside down);
• Radii are still too crude, facetted.

It's a nice selection of parts! But it definetely need some more work.

Hello:

39 minutes ago, Stephan said:

Most parts have holes in the geometry, possibly due to a poor LDraw model

You are right. I will try to fix the issue using Blender (or LDPE); as well as the sheets.

Part 6642: I look at it and fix the problem.

By "Radii" are you talking about the RC motors? I take a look at it and any other problem. I corrected the steering unit, because the collisions prevented some connections (but I'm hesitant to "add" more collision boxes.

And submit the ZR Tyre I forget to add with other "old" Technics parts, i.e. Action Figure.

9 hours ago, Kuramapika1 said:

By "Radii" are you talking about the RC motors?

Well, mostly about most curved sections. When you compare with the original LDD parts, you'll see that curved areas look relatively smooth.

A new parts pack has just been published. And, boy, it's a good one! Find it through this LINK.

Version 20200819 includes:
• 4 new parts (3 Control+ motors, and the Control+ hub);
• 4 updated parts (1 is now decoratable, 3 have updated connection points);
• 1 new decoration (for part 46882);
• A custom Template in the Mindstorms Theme: 2020 New Pre-Colored Parts (includes all pre-colored new parts);
• An updated MaterialNames.xml: added 353 'Vibrant Coral', added "Silver Ink.," to 298;
• An updated CurrentMaterials.xml: added 353 'Vibrant Coral', moved 107 'Bright Bluish Green' and 298 'Silver Ink., Cool silver, drum lacq' to Current colors;
• An updated Materials.xml: added 353 'Vibrant Coral', changed RGB color for 20 'Nature', added 20 'Nature' to Legacy colors, and;
• An unzipped LDDExtended.lif. You must add the included 'LDDExtended' folder to the Templates folder, and removed LDDExtended.lif.

Template%201.jpg        ?        Template%202.jpg

When messing with LIF files, please back up the original LIF files!

Edited by Stephan
Added warning.

6 hours ago, Stephan said:

added "Silver Ink.," to 298;

LEGO colour 298’s official name is “Cool Silver, Drum Laquered.”  “Silver Ink” is 336 (already in LDD too).  See http://ryanhowerter.net/colors.php

There are many other unnamed colours in LDD (the colours exist but don’t have a name, and are not readily accessible).  I’m not sure it would be useful to add them to the palette(s) (they are too many, they are outdated, not even really used when they were in production, etc.) but maybe their names could be added.  I’ll see if I can do it and provide the files in a simple way for @Stephan to include them.

I would also suggest (re)adding 107 Dark Bluish Green / Dark Turquoise / Teal to CurrentMaterials.xml.  It has been revived a few years ago :grin:

Okay, I made a gitlab repository here.

I added the new official colours:

• 341  Tr. Bright Orange Glitter
  • 351  Tr. Bright Green Glitter
  • 353  Vibrant Coral
  • 360  Tr. Clear Opal
  • 362  Tr. Blue Opal
  • 364  Tr. Med. Red. Violet Opal

And added a name to all the colours LDD already knew.

There’s an LXF with all the colours used.

If someone wants to fork, make pull request, or simply send me the German names….

Cool! I will add them.

Does anyone know if ShinyPlastic or ShinySteel are the only MaterialTypes? There is a new GlitterPlastic that doesn't render glitter properly. Do we know how to add new MaterialTypes?

2 hours ago, SylvainLS said:

107 Dark Bluish Green / Dark Turquoise / Teal 

I already added that to Current Material. Though the TLG name is 107 Bright Bluish Green.

1 hour ago, SylvainLS said:

362  Tr. Blue Opal

Could you check the RGB Blue value for 362?

Edited by Stephan

37 minutes ago, Stephan said:

I already added that to Current Material. Though the TLG name is 107 Bright Bluish Green.

I saw that afterward :grin:  and “Dark” is a typo because I started to wrote “Dark Turquoise” first.

40 minutes ago, Stephan said:

Could you check the RGB Blue value for 362?

Oh, oopsie, a spurious 7 in the Blue component (7239 instead of 239).  Updated.  (The RGB are those of LDraw.)

Hi guys!

I'm eager to announce that a new version of Brick Studio is almost ready for release! I just need to do some clean-up and it should be ready around next week or so.

Here are the main points of interest of the next release:

• Editing flexible part is now functional! While it works, it is still a bit raw and you must know what you are doing to make it work. I will try to make a tutorial.
  • You can now properly edit all connection properties! I finally got around to complete this feature.
  • You can now hide stuff with hotkeys. Works like blender ( H to hide the selection, Shift+H to hide everything but selection and Alt+H to show everything)
  • You can now also delete stuff with the Delete key when the focus is in the view editor. I also added some validation when deleting referenced elements.

SLFDNBm.png

Also I wanted to take the opportunity to let you know that if you have any problems or have suggestions for the software, please create an issue here to let me know. Thanks!

Thanks @polymaker it's looking great! BTW, what does the capped/grabbing check boxes mean? I'm guessing capping is for pin holes, and grabbing is for the hooks grabbing the 3.2mm elements?