@Stephan

I think it's time for you to rethink the rules on what kind of bricks are accepted into an update.

I'm preparing another update with fixed pneumatic outlines and 3 new bricks (new 3x3 connector and 2 bigger technic frames, these are ready; proper connections, collisions, outlines) and since it happens these frames were just added I was curious to see how you guys made them... I'll skip lack of collisions/partial connections but now not only (again) these are modeled in a way Brick Studio will not generate outlines for them but also with errors/gaps in geometry - it's like this from every direction - (mine on left, yours on right)... :

7GBgct4l.png

I'm giving an advice here - don't go for quantity at serious expense of quality. Now, if you would like to make that frame (for example) look like mine, you'd have to make it again from scratch becouse in order to get nice outlines from Brick Studio as an result one has to plan ahead during remodeling/converting part from LDraw library.

Edited by Equilibrium

@Equilibrium I agree... I was bothered by the fact that the bricks (not yours) were imported with beveled edges and then exported without the outlines. I played around with Blender a bit and was able to get this result for the 48165 wedge: 48165%20-%20outlines.png But as you can see there are still gaps in the geometry. I am a 3D modeling amateur so I have a lot to learn still, but I'd like to contribute with quality parts and collisions as well. The key is to keep poly-count low as well, and to enable smooth shading on the model before exporting to OBJ I find... but I'm still having issues with certain parts, especially this one tire is giving me headaches, 32296. I don't know the trick to make the sides not have all those ugly outlines in them, I think Brick Studio draws outlines on areas where I don't want them, I'll have to play around with the mesh a bit more to fix it.800x699.jpg as you can see, its smaller cousin 41897 is much neater looking: 640x402.jpg I have a lot to learn but I'm getting there! As you can see 22969 (the rim above) I exported it without smooth shading and you see the blocky result on the round object.

10 hours ago, Equilibrium said:

@Stephan

I think it's time for you to rethink the rules on what kind of bricks are accepted into an update

I think so too. These parts were added by jester, converted from LDraw parts.

That was the original idea. At that time nobody was talking about exporting to Bluerender or other programs. It was just so people could complete their digital build. 

As far as I've heard, you are now the only one (and Polymaker a bit), who can create 100% quality bricks.

I don't export to a render program, so I don't have as much problems with digital bricks of lower quality.

@jester

I think any contribution is precious.
If you (or anyone else) are not able/have not time or interest to complete your bricks, your work could be completed by another user and then added to the database.

Am I wrong or someone told that there is a software that, when ready, will allow to add these elements easily?

@Calabar I just don't want to interfere with great professionals)
I also deleted all my bricks from google drive, so as not to disgrace myself with my work anymore

Edited by jester

15 hours ago, Equilibrium said:

@Stephan

I think it's time for you to rethink the rules on what kind of bricks are accepted into an update.

I'm preparing another update with fixed pneumatic outlines and 3 new bricks (new 3x3 connector and 2 bigger technic frames, these are ready; proper connections, collisions, outlines) and since it happens these frames were just added I was curious to see how you guys made them... I'll skip lack of collisions/partial connections but now not only (again) these are modeled in a way Brick Studio will not generate outlines for them but also with errors/gaps in geometry - it's like this from every direction - (mine on left, yours on right)... :

7GBgct4l.png

I'm giving an advice here - don't go for quantity at serious expense of quality. Now, if you would like to make that frame (for example) look like mine, you'd have to make it again from scratch becouse in order to get nice outlines from Brick Studio as an result one has to plan ahead during remodeling/converting part from LDraw library.

I can understand your look for quality but i would also say if you don’t like those bricks you can easily just skip them ? While I surely would be happy to have 100% perfection (which even LEGO doesn’t deliver) I rather take those and knowing the disadvantage then nothing.  As the adding of bricks is not straight forward I expect everyone who does it to know about the repercussions - possibly a new version of bricks will have impacts to my builds. 

Just my opinion. 

@M2m me too
But unfortunately at the moment I don't have complete knowledge of how @Equilibrium to create perfect parts
So it’s better until I retire)

11 minutes ago, jester said:

@M2m me too
But unfortunately at the moment I don't have complete knowledge of how @Equilibrium to create perfect parts

Don’t quit after 1 negative comment.

I like your parts and make good use of them 

@M2m It's not a negative comment, but my lack of professionalism.

I don’t know how to create a collisions, outline on bricks and etc

7 minutes ago, jester said:

@M2m It's not a negative comment, but my lack of professionalism.

I don’t know how to create a collisions, outline on bricks and etc

Engineers saying: “Delivered is better then perfect” :wink:

Just now, M2m said:

Engineers saying: “Delivered is better then perfect” :wink:

I really don't know about that

I'm a doctor)

1 hour ago, jester said:

@M2m me too

I don't think perfection is required, but parts should work in LDD as original parts at least, to avoid problems for LDD users.
If you are able to create good geometries, I think your contribution could be very precious anyway. Otherwise your good contribution will be wasted, and it would be a pity.

Another idea is to maintain two packs, one with complete parts and one with parts that need to be completed, a sort of stable and beta packs. In this way an LDD user could choose to install the "stable" pack only or both, knowing the issues with the "beta" bricks. A contributor could then choose to introduce a new brick or complete a "beta" brick, allowing it to be added to the "stable" pack.

@Stephan , your opinion?

Edited by Calabar

@M2m @Calabar @jester @Stephan @zweifuss

Guys guys, I know I happen to sound like an megablock but my intentions are not to bash anyone personaly, but to advice to don't rush things. It's very kind of you to consider my work a quality one, I don't hide the fact that I put a lot of craftsmanship into it. I have started this thread with intention to provide missing bricks so people wouldn't have to leave LDD for other programs when they saw they are just like made by LEGO. But I didn't have any intention to make everything by myself (hell, I couldn't make outlines myslef and I gave up for a year - among other reasons...) I didn't write this to discourage anyone. Sorry.

From my point of view it is highly inefficient to create a brick with broken geometry becouse it will cause issues in a future and brick will have to be made from the beginning in most cases. Chamfered edges look nice but prevents Brick Studio from genereting outlines, geometry should be simple enough also made in a way Brick Studio "likes". I figured it out myself after some time and I'm not sure how to describe it; surface/area of multiple polygons that are connected together with each vertices/edges welded should generate nice outline on its edges... If I upload my 3D Max file/or exported to other format how I prepare my bricks (for example that big technic frame) would help? Once you understand how it's made it goes pretty fast, also I don't deny it will reguire some 3d modeling knowledge and that some surfaces are pain in the megablocks to adjust so Brick Studio won't output mess (monorail track switch...) - in such cases I'm just doing trail and error, sometimes it's enough to remove edge and connect different vertices leaving area the same.

I didn't use any bricks made by others, If I did I'd post this earlier. I think it's better to fix/talk through some things earlier so we won't get into situation when there's 1000 bricks that have geometry/other errors and need corrections. I already made big mistake with parts naming. Asking end user to delete some files on his own is one of worst things could happen.

BTW. You guys know you can download Brick Studio and use it? I had to google how to even compile it, but it works. Didn't try to make connections/collisions there since I use 3D Max for it.

EDIT: Haha megablock is censored :)

Edited by Equilibrium

9 minutes ago, Equilibrium said:

https://github.com/Polymaker/ldd-modder/tree/develop

I have downloaded MS Visual Studio to compile it, well, I can upload compiled one if you want.

I have also been able to compile it from the source. There is a free version of visual studio available which I used. I know polymaker is not done with it yet but it's very usable. 

15 minutes ago, Equilibrium said:

https://github.com/Polymaker/ldd-modder/tree/develop

I have downloaded MS Visual Studio to compile it, well, I can upload compiled one if you want.

will be good of you
I don’t quite understand what exactly I need to download from the link

And how to run it

Edited by jester

1 hour ago, jester said:

will be good of you
I don’t quite understand what exactly I need to download from the link

Edited by Equilibrium

1 hour ago, Equilibrium said:

Thanks

Edited by jester

21 hours ago, SylvainLS said:

@Stephan 26287 was modified too (connectivity)

Oops, true! Forgot to add that one. I added connectivity for the gear shift ring.

On 7/4/2020 at 4:03 PM, Calabar said:

@Stephan , your opinion?

If enough people are interested in that, I can separate alpha and bèta versions of parts. Is a bit more work, but not impossible.

Holly brick!!! just discovered this thread :wub:. I knew that some people tried to unpack the db.lif a while ago, but you guys finally cracked it all, amazing!
I'm a technic guy, so I'm more than happy with all the new parts. My favorite missing part from the recent new molds is rim 49294 from the landy, I don't know if it is already on a list somewhere :wink:.
Thank you again to all contributors for this amazing unofficial support.

I have finished another update, main features:

• Improved brick outlines on pneumatics and some other bricks,
  • 3 new parts.

SMfglFQl.png

bam2kWSl.png

Download links:

• My old LINK refers to all my updates merged together,
  • New LINK refers to new/changed parts only.
Edited by Equilibrium