Studio distributes all the licenses in a Licenses directory, also all the .dat files have the license and authors information included.

UI-wise, they have “Studio is made possible by the LDraw PartsLibrary and POV-Ray” in the About dialog, with “LDraw” and “POV-Ray” being links to their respective websites.

I recommended to Stephan to provide the CCAL license and to make a file with the list of parts and their authors (both LDraw’s and the person who converted them).  The “converter” can also be acknowledged in the .xml file.

Note that all parts don’t come from LDraw (some are “just” modified LDD parts).  Blanket statements are fine but when you know the details, it’s always simpler later.

Edited by SylvainLS
complement about recommendations

Not sure if the xml files support comments. While technically just text files it depends on the flexibility/strictness of the parser to support new/custom nodes.

Will play around with this after work.

Hello: I think if we are talking about of the Ldraw official parts, there's no problem on use them; as we respect the complain of Ldraw.

But if we talk of the Ldraw unofficial parts, that is another story. This change periodically so I think it's of no use here. Also, I say this: it's convenient to delete the already uploaded part that is an unofficial Ldraw part since doesn't in accordance with Ldraw standard.

1 hour ago, M2m said:

Not sure if the xml files support comments. While technically just text files it depends on the flexibility/strictness of the parser to support new/custom nodes.

Will play around with this after work.

According to the standard, you should always be able to put <!-- --> comments.  It would be a very strange parser to check on comments contents.
As for LDD’s parser, the one for ldraw.xml is very lenient (I’m not sure if some features were removed but there are attributes in the stock file that are ignored / useless and you can add attributes and elements as you wish).

1 hour ago, Kuramapika1 said:

But if we talk of the Ldraw unofficial parts, that is another story. This change periodically so I think it's of no use here. Also, I say this: it's convenient to delete the already uploaded part that is an unofficial Ldraw part since doesn't in accordance with Ldraw standard.

It’s not because they are not official yet that they don’t have a license and authors who worked on them and who should be acknowledged, in accordance with the license and with ethics.

“But your honor, it’s only the last draft of the next Harry Potter, it’s not the published version!” won’t get you out of trouble.  :tongue:

Edited by SylvainLS

3 hours ago, SylvainLS said:

According to the standard, you should always be able to put <!-- --> comments.  It would be a very strange parser to check on comments contents.
As for LDD’s parser, the one for ldraw.xml is very lenient (I’m not sure if some features were removed but there are attributes in the stock file that are ignored / useless and you can add attributes and elements as you wish).

Yeah you're right. Still it should be tested before just asking everyone to add <!--- Comments -->

The parser is https://github.com/libexpat/libexpat in LDD.

Perhaps something else to look into fixing, if it hasn't been already?

Simply re-saving the PNGs fixes them not loading. The ones outright mapped to parts incorrectly might take some more poking at.

Edited by jamesster

The pizza texture works for me out of the box on macOS without ever having touched the PNG. 

11 hours ago, SylvainLS said:

Just made a trial modification / correction of 1104.xml. If the below is an acceptable way of using LDraw Parts (the file loads in LDD), my suggestion would be to handle this like this.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!--
Derived from The LDraw Parts Library
Orginal Author: Steve Bliss [sbliss]
-->

<LEGOPrimitive versionMajor="1" versionMinor="0">
  <Annotations>
    <Annotation aliases="1104" />
    <Annotation designname="Antenna 6H" />
    <Annotation maingroupid="236" />
    <Annotation maingroupname="SIGNS, FLAGS AND POLES" />
    <Annotation platformid="200" />
    <Annotation platformname="SYSTEM" />
    <Annotation version="1" />
  </Annotations>
  <Connectivity>
    <Axel type="7" length="1.16" requireGrabbing="0" startCapped="1" endCapped="0" angle="90" ax="0" ay="1" az="0" tx="0" ty="0.12" tz="0"/>
  </Connectivity>
  <Bounding>
    <AABB minX="-0.2" minY="0" minZ="-0.2" maxX="0.2" maxY="5.8" maxZ="0.2" />
  </Bounding>
  <GeometryBounding>
    <AABB minX="-0.2" minY="0" minZ="-0.2" maxX="0.2" maxY="5.8" maxZ="0.2" />
  </GeometryBounding>
</LEGOPrimitive>

Thoughts ? Suggestions ?

A strange behaviour: when 36841’s top stud is connected, its bottom antistud is simplified-out (the bottom appears flat and smooth) but still connectable.  Maybe interesting.

@M2m See?  Easy-peasy :grin:  I was about to say that it’s the .g that is derived from LDraw but, well, both .xml and .g go together.

@M2m I took your suggestion and updated #36752 (Utility Wand) and #43745 (Mini Head Goblin/Dobby) with said attribution information. Will re-upload the parts, if that will work.

On 5/29/2020 at 1:07 PM, SylvainLS said:

A strange behaviour: when 36841’s top stud is connected, its bottom antistud is simplified-out (the bottom appears flat and smooth) but still connectable.  Maybe interesting.

This behavior is a feature intended to improve performance by reducing the triangle count when parts of the brick are hidden (e.g. when connected).

This is specified in the last portion of the G file. This data also references the Custom2DField in the XML by index. So swapping the two Custom2DField (type 22 and type 23) will probably fix the issue.

But may I ask where you got that part? Because generating that data is not possible with the converter people are using.
My most recent and unreleased editor can generate this data but needs manual editing of the file because I have not yet finished the UI to input some needed parameters.
I have made this part for myself with the alternate mesh feature (when connected) and it works properly.

So I really wonder where you got it!

1 hour ago, polymaker said:

This behavior is a feature intended to improve performance by reducing the triangle count when parts of the brick are hidden (e.g. when connected).

That’s why I said “simplified out” :wink:

1 hour ago, polymaker said:

But may I ask where you got that part?

I simply got it in Stephan’s files.

But I made a mistake: actually the bottom of 36841 is always flat / simplified out / simply not there (I removed a plate that was connected under a 36841, saw it was flat, turned around and removed the part connected on its top, saw it was still flat, but it was actually the bottom of a 3680 just next to it).

It’s strange though, if it directly comes from LDraw, that the bottom was removed.

On 5/29/2020 at 4:04 PM, M2m said:

<!--
Derived from The LDraw Parts Library
Orginal Author: Steve Bliss [sbliss]
-->

I will try to add this to the parts... only 190 parts to go...

May 2020 update α0520 is available. This includes all β-May updates. No new parts were added after v200522β.

Edited by Stephan

Superb work so far, but some of the bricks you are showing in the main thread can't be found on Github. (For example the roller coaster parts)

5 minutes ago, The Mugbearer said:

It's 22392, initially released in Nexo Knights theme.

Thank you so much. I was looking forever.

4 hours ago, mon-o-mat said:

Superb work so far, but some of the bricks you are showing in the main thread can't be found on Github. (For example the roller coaster parts)

Fixed! Available on Github: v20200505.

Thank you to all doing this project.  With these custom updates, I have to wonder a few things.  I poked thru the thread a little but didn't see what I was looking for.  I use blueprint to generate instructions and wondering if it would be compatible with these "updates".  It appears that it references original files I think.  Then the other is can stud.io import a ldd file from this update?  Lots of head aches other wise with bricklink.

I think Blueprint wants the db in its lif format (that is, the file db.lif), and can’t read the db directory.  And it appears no one knows how to make a .lif (only how to unpack it).

As for import, you can try to import them directly in Studio but the parts need to be translated and rotated, so even if they import, they won’t be placed correctly.

I wrote the conversions in ldraw.xml (used by LDD, lxf2ldr and lxf2ldr.html), so you can export them to LDraw from LDD or convert them offline and then import them into Studio.  (Note that lxf2ldr/.html convert groups, instructions, flexible parts, and decors (well, some decors).)

I just read the entire thread.

@SylvainLS I saw that blueprint and bluerender? worked, but that was first page,  Not sure now with everything that is being done.  I failed in that regards.  The whole import into stud.io is (for me) is not to save them there, but to upload the list to bricklink.  I have had nothing but headaches with uploading ldd files there for parts lists to buy stuff.  I also have alot of thinking though due to models I make that would be removed from community access unless they upgraded their ldd.  In any case, I have alot to learn here.

On 6/6/2020 at 9:43 AM, shopsmart said:

I just read the entire thread.

@SylvainLS I saw that blueprint and bluerender? worked, but that was first page,  Not sure now with everything that is being done.  I failed in that regards.  The whole import into stud.io is (for me) is not to save them there, but to upload the list to bricklink.  I have had nothing but headaches with uploading ldd files there for parts lists to buy stuff.  I also have alot of thinking though due to models I make that would be removed from community access unless they upgraded their ldd.  In any case, I have alot to learn here.

You will want to use @SylvainLS 's tool to conver to ldraw first. then import to studio. 

)

On 6/6/2020 at 10:28 AM, SylvainLS said:

I think Blueprint wants the db in its lif format (that is, the file db.lif), and can’t read the db directory.  And it appears no one knows how to make a .lif (only how to unpack it).

I just tried to use BlueRender (same author) and it didn't like the fact I don't have a db.lif file any more. Same with my old copy of Busufl (which I think did better renders). :sceptic: 

However, I imported the LXF file into Studio and it imported straight off the bat and rendered with no issues... and I can barely tell my @ss from my elbow in Studio, so I was really impressed! :laugh:

Edited by manglegrat

43 minutes ago, manglegrat said:

I just tried to use BlueRender (same author) and it didn't like the fact I don't have a db.lif file any more. Same with my old copy of Busufl (which I think did better renders). :sceptic: 

However, I imported the LXF file into Studio and it imported straight off the bat and rendered with no issues... and I can barely tell my @ss from my elbow in Studio, so I was really impressed! :laugh:

Hide contents

Nice bab 5 station there !