On 5/12/2020 at 8:55 PM, Stephan said:

You mean a simple lxf file with the new parts? That's no problem! 

Exactly!

I've seen the addition in the New Parts topic, very good!
You should add a date specifying the last update the image refers to.
The image should be smaller (a thumbnail) and clicking on it should open the full size image (4k? :grin: ). The LXF could be provided with a text link.

Some thoughts: 

• Add a contributors list (name/number of parts)
  • Add some rule about contributions: parts have to be completed, parts have to support all the necessary connections, parts have to came from an allowed source (for example LDRAW ok, Mecabricks no), etc...
  • I suggest to distinguish new parts from fixed parts.
  • It would be better to place the list of new parts in a new post (or more new post) following the first post.
  • I have to clean the New Parts topic from unnecessary posts and move them here. :innocent:
  • maybe we can use 7zip format in its maximum compression to download the pack, if the size is huge? It should be better then both zip and rar.
  • maybe someone want to create a new topic containing a simple&clear guide to introduce new willing contributors to join the process of creating and testing new parts?
  • I should think about accepting new parts in the LDD official sets topic, at least as extra models. Or maybe I need to create a new topic! Stay tuned. EDIT: oh, I see the point has been raised already!
  • Maybe Stephan we should add a private discussion! :grin:

I think this is wonderful, downloaded the newest version tonight and I really like having the new parts - putting all the correct pieces into the Roller Coaster set, as previously shown in this topic, is just great. I would like to see part 24869, the wheels specially designed for the roller coaster carriage. Whenever a topic is started to upload official sets made with these I'll have plenty to submit, I've been building new sets for a while but they have been missing more and more parts to the point where things like the Trolls sets are totally unrecognizable. Keep up the good work!

Stephan! Great work !  May I suggest to put all parts on github ? 
That has several advantages:

- you get version control for all files (parts) 

- you can’t create releases for the full enhanced library addition any time you like 

- people can fork it, create fixes, enhancements and then pull requests which you can then review to be included in your official curated enhancement pack. 

Additionally maybe it’s possible to give your parts lib a version name (similar to original LDD lib. version)  but with a ‘mod’ indicator. That may help if we can use this lib in the official sets thread. Like part lib brick version 2670mod20200515 (or whatever you like)

Once again. Congrats !

Edited by M2m

8 hours ago, Calabar said:

• Maybe Stephan we should add a private discussion! :grin:

I have sent you a personal message ;)

Edited by Stephan

Found out this is the thread to discuss:

- you can’t create releases for the full enhanced library addition any time you like 

- people can fork it, create fixes, enhancements and then pull requests which you can then review to be included in your official curated enhancement pack. 

Additionally maybe it’s possible to give your parts lib a version name (similar to original LDD lib. version)  but with a ‘mod’ indicator. That may help if we can use this lib in the official sets thread. Like part lib brick version 2670mod20200515 (or whatever you like)

Once again. Congrats !

1 hour ago, M2m said:

Once again. Congrats !

I will look into Github. Now I'm using my personal Dropbox space which is limited. I really like the idea of versions as well. 

7 minutes ago, Stephan said:

I will look into Github. Now I'm using my personal Dropbox space which is limited. I really like the idea of versions as well. 

By the way I had a typo. you can create releases. A release would then automatically pickup ther version of a file (part) of the time the release is created. For ex. release 0.9 from 1st of May has all parts (and those versions) of 1st of May. Then 2 weeks later release 0.95 has all parts and those versions, etc. Versions and releases are features of github I really value. Plus of course you can go back to an earlier version (if you need to because a newer version introduces bugs). Per file limit is 100MB. 

1 hour ago, M2m said:

By the way I had a typo. you can create releases. A release would then automatically pickup ther version of a file (part) of the time the release is created. For ex. release 0.9 from 1st of May has all parts (and those versions) of 1st of May. Then 2 weeks later release 0.95 has all parts and those versions, etc. Versions and releases are features of github I really value. Plus of course you can go back to an earlier version (if you need to because a newer version introduces bugs). Per file limit is 100MB. 

I already thought so :wink:
I have to see how to manage the file size limit. Since the file with all the parts is 250 MB when using maximum compression. For the daily parts pack that is no problem though. I hope to transfer everything to Github this evening; if not, tomorrow.

The problem with the LDD Official sets topic is that is supposed that everyone that possesses LDD is able to open the files.
So we have to reflect on what's the best solution.

About using githhub I think is a good idea. The main reason is that it is much more "persistent" than Dropbox: we lost many lxf files in the Official Topic that has been uploaded on Dropbox, while on githhub I can see projects discontinued many years ago. Persistence should be the first parameter when choosing the hosting site.
Anyway GithHub is less intuitive when you have to download something, so I think it is necessary a little guide "for dummies".

23 minutes ago, Stephan said:

I already thought so :wink:
I have to see how to manage the file size limit. Since the file with all the parts is 250 MB when using maximum compression. For the daily parts pack that is no problem though. I hope to transfer everything to Github this evening; if not, tomorrow.

The 100MB limit isn't an issue unless 1 brick is bigger then that (doubt it).

I created an example github repository just to show you how I would set it up. Just with all the files and folders. At the right the green clone/download button would be to get the most recent version.

https://github.com/sttng/LDD-New-Parts

Feel free to ask any questions surely. :)

Edited by M2m

4 minutes ago, Calabar said:

The problem with the LDD Official sets topic is that is supposed that everyone that possesses LDD is able to open the files.
So we have to reflect on what's the best solution.

There are more and more people using Studio too. And Studio doesn’t know how to import the new parts correctly so they are placed every which way.

About GitHub: note that there are alternative solutions, like Gitlab….

18 minutes ago, M2m said:

The 100MB limit isn't an issue unless 1 brick is bigger then that (doubt it).

I created an example github repository just to show you how I would set it up. Just with all the files and folders. At the right the green clone/download button would be to get the most recent version.

https://github.com/sttng/LDD-New-Parts

Feel free to ask any questions surely. :)

Awesome. I see that you can download complete folders. That makes a part pack possible as well as separate parts.

On 5/8/2020 at 8:50 PM, jester said:

Sorry for maybe spamming, but i can't stop :laugh:

cfgxuXh.png

Hey jester,

How did you fit the rangefinder into the helmet? It seems to not be fitting into the hole as planned... *huh*

18 minutes ago, Jason C. Hand said:

How did you fit the rangefinder into the helmet? It seems to not be fitting into the hole as planned... *huh*

The rangefinder has been deleted from the files since it was already available in LDD.

1 minute ago, Stephan said:

The rangefinder has been deleted from the files since it was already available in LDD.

Okay, good deal. thank you.

I just noticed 24866 (flower plate) seems to be missing bar connectivity in its hollow stud.

Been closely following the progress - the work you guys are doing is astounding, not to mention vital to the community. As a side-effect, extracting the DB.lif makes LDD load pieces much faster, so I really couldn't be happier! So far I moved some pieces around according to my preferences, but might dig in deeper later.

I tried to list missing pieces in order of importance (subjectively), and if anyone could have a crack at these it would be amazing:

4081a - the queen of SNOT
4263 - mighty useful
46296 - provides a legal connection due to its thickness
Minifig hand - maybe add as a separate part?
4865 - was in LDD a long time ago, but then Lego removed it...
3839a
2513 - not structural, but hey :)

Thanks in advance.

9 hours ago, Kuramapika1 said:

Any one of you want to share how to arrange the colitions? Or if you modify the software, the new one?

Info about the collision boxes can be found in this document I created: LINK.

1 hour ago, Stephan said:

Info about the collision boxes can be found in this document I created: LINK.

And you can read about the coordinate and transformation system here.

Also, you can see the bounding boxes in Developper mode.

Edited by SylvainLS