Please comment, request and discuss about LDD new parts here
Now this topic is intended as a support area for the LDD New Parts thread

Ok, let's do this.

Inspired by @M2m thread I've started wrting a 3D Studio Max script that allows importing, editing and exporting LDD brick geometry and their XML data. They are rough, some geometry data is unknown (this doesn't have any visible or noticable impact so far) but it works and here's the result (click for bigger pictures):

Fixed connectivity issue of 90 deg tube (pretty popular piece for 2018/2019 technic sets):

lG2oJmhl.png

839C172l.png

Custom 3x5x2 panel that I saw in one of the Chinese custom (not copied from Lego) models:

Mq5VyFKl.png

MAKilsLl.png

I was curious how my MOC would look like with more realistic, narrow tires so I shrinked Unimog tire to fit on 42029 rim. Dimensions: 81,6 x 30:

bhtizYZl.png

bPNfEtOl.png

For the tractor enthusiasts - how could a Class tire look like on an Arcos rim - also that Chinese model. Dimensions: 64,2 x 20 (I've made is slighty bigger than original tire):

BUcSE0pl.png

iSywpEEl.png

Moved some parts around and fixed default orientation of some of technic panels:

JRkAe42l.png

Edited by Calabar
Fixed links, stuff I forgot

Congrats and cool stuff. You should try to add some most wanted missing parts :wink: Or maybe the monorail tracks !

Arch angle is probably not correct but anyway:

nEcIeAxl.png

459rTxWl.png

gAjiAyil.png

@M2m I don't really intend to model everything myself, that would be an incredible amount of work! So far I did the "fast" ones. Cutting panels ~1h, scaling wheels ~10min each. And I'm still unsure where this thread might lead or end up.

Edited by Equilibrium

I suggest you ask people what they would like the most. Dont forget to include a small tip jar or such :sweet:

Personally I'd really like to see the following:

x873c01.png

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=x873c01&idColor=11#T=I&C=11

32181c02.png

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=32181c02&idColor=12#T=I&C=12

42531.png

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=42531&idColor=4#T=C&C=4

And pneumatic cylinders, switches and pumps would complete the Technic library.

Pretty sure you could also increase one of the balloon tyres to give us Power Puller wheels?

Yes, having these bricks would be nice. I could do the tire but it goes with a different rim so it would also have to be made. And as I wrote yesterday I want to avoid modeling parts myself. I looked over LDraw license and from what I understand I could use their parts (with all due credit). I'd add collisions and connectivity options myself. This would speed and ease the process.

However, there are some issues that I haven't thought about before (if we ever get to the sharing part).

• Current way of adding new bricks/fixes breaks Bluerender and Blueprint completely (don't know about POV but probably also). I'm using unpacked db.lif (so it has to be renamed or moved somewhere else so LDD uses folders instead) while these programs require it to run. So in order to use them db.lif would have to be patched with new bricks. While I know its structure, writing a patcher is beyond me I'm afraid.
  • Compatibility issues with other programs. I can't number pieces using official Lego codes becouse if I'd do this and an update for LDD would be released with these bricks, chances are official bricks could have different initial position in 3D space which would result in missplaced/deleted parts upon opening saved file. Also importing an ldd file into other programs would result in these parts missing.

So yeah... I don't know. I'll try to use LDraw parts for few of the parts above, will also have to rewrite/update scripts and we will see how it goes I guess.

I'm with Zerobricks on this; it's much needed part.

22 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

Personally I'd really like to see the following:

x873c01.png

Also I'm very interested in 90 deg tube. Would you mind sharing it (at least via PM).

Edited by pagicence

Before you dive into it, remember that LDD and LDraw part library are not fully compatible. For example the bricks with the Technic holes are modeled differently which can result in part shift. LDraw uses the LDraw unit and locates the hole centre at 5.6mm while LDD uses real dimensions and located the hole a 5.8mm. Not too sure how both part system would live in a same software.

LprERxM.png

6 minutes ago, Scrubs said:

LDD uses real dimensions and located the hole a 5.8mm.

Not exactly.  On the real bricks, the technic hole is at 5.72mm (ref. Jamie Berard’s presentation).  LDD is just a bit more exact than LDraw.

As for the different parts living together in LDD, we already have them with SNOT parts (centered at 5.6mm) and technic holes at 5.8mm: sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t as anyone who tried to make some official sets can attest (mix of half pins in technic holes and SNOT bricks, plates overhanging over parts attached to technic holes…).

1 hour ago, SylvainLS said:

As for the different parts living together in LDD, we already have them with SNOT parts (centered at 5.6mm) and technic holes at 5.8mm.

Correct. I was only highlighting the fact that they are discrepancies between both systems (LDD is not perfect either). Part modeling and LEGO system is not as easy as one could think at first.

@pagicence I can't share it yet due to what I wrote above your post and one other thing.

@Scrubs, @SylvainLS Thanks guys I didn't know that! With this in mind I tried adding the wheel hub. I had to edit part model a bit, split it into two pieces (in order to be able to rotate it freely - just like newer hubs) and fix some errors but everything worked out pretty nice :classic: btw. I don't own this part, so: it is not possible to insert an axle there (where CV joint connects), right?

F4b3F2Zl.png

S82UPhNl.png

GhdQvATl.png

Hf4QHuil.png

And maybe a bit silly question, but is this enough regarding part copyright (bottom left corner)?

IMxdEq6l.png

Edited by Equilibrium

Great work. 

Yes CV joint can be inserted and steered in real one. Resolution is too low to see what's written. 

@Zerobricks Thanks :)

I know about CV joints, but I'm asking about an ordinary axle. New hubs have "two stages"; one where you can slide slighty an axle and it will slip on it (kind of illegal connection) and one fully connected where you can rotate hub by axle. Since older hub doesn't have an axle hole I assume it cannot accept an axle as rotation input.

You can click on pictures to open them in a new tab where it is possible to enlarge them (all are in full hd). Or should I post them somehow differently if there's a trouble viewing full picture?

Edited by Equilibrium

21 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

Great work. Since TLG seems to have abandoned LDD, I think your work could keep this program alive in the future.

@Equilibrium Hopefully, LEGO won’t take legal action against you for doing this.

@Zerobricks Knowing my luck, Lego will release an update adding 10 times more bricks within a month after I post this update rendering most of my work obsolete :tongue:

@MatthewRC That's something I haven't thought about. That'd be very unfortunate turn of the events to say the least...

Anyway, I think I've found a way to patch everyones db.lif. I have to test it on my 2nd PC just to be sure but it seems to be working great (on windows at least). It should also work on linux and mac but I don't know basic command lines of these systems (patch starts through a .bat file on windows).

I have edited hub a bit so it acts as assembly. Scrapped my wheel arch panel and used LDraw ones, also added smallest one:

hCA1zYdl.png

3 small system bricks (red, yellow and green ones):

qZtxPOXl.png

I've also made a kind of workaround for adjusting shocks/LAs/any other pistons (it seems like LDD just misses some "move inside assembly" tool):

GXDfJ1ll.png

DbARG5Xl.png

NpLrk9Zl.png

It has a downside of being able to disconnect assembly parts so if one would like to move them all bricks would have to be selected. Rotating works fine, parts stick to each other. Deleting any part of an assembly deletes whole brick. It seems to be backward and forward compatible - saved files wise. Should I stick to it? Pneumatics can also be made that way.

Edited by Equilibrium

Wow, those are some really good mods. I think having LAs and springs as seprate parts is good so they can easily be slided in and out.

If Lego does indeed update LDD, you have to re-do everything or can you still use the code you written?

Edited by Zerobricks

But these are not entairly separate parts. This is just the same as in current LDD verison but you can move each subpart (or part piece) individually. So ability to move them as one single piece is traded for an ability to adjust them.

I wouldn't call this a code :tongue: I can use parts that I made no problem (since I don't think Lego will bother changing file formats or something like this).

16 hours ago, Equilibrium said:

It has a downside of being able to disconnect assembly parts so if one would like to move them all bricks would have to be selected. Rotating works fine, parts stick to each other. Deleting any part of an assembly deletes whole brick. It seems to be backward and forward compatible - saved files wise. Should I stick to it? Pneumatics can also be made that way.

I have found this MODs of small and big shock absorbers and linear actuators in various sizes (small LA, big LA, small SA, big SA, all available on my bricksafe). BUT, if you try rotating them they fall apart (only LAs) (you can not rotate the whole piece, you need a contraption of some sort), BUT you can move them as one single part, they don't de-assemble. Also you have to try a few different sizes to find the right one to use in a MOC. Take a look at them, and think about it.

As far as pneumatics go: YES, YES, YES!!! We do need them! We always have to improvise with axles and round bricks. For pneumatic parts I think that it would be good that they can be adjustable!

@Zerobricks Yes, I'm using imported LDraw models. Then doing all the necessary changes, collisions and connections myself. I wouldn't be able to model them on my own since I don't have these parts to take measures, etc.

@BrickWild Thanks. Not yet, I'm going to add pneumatics and I'd like to release first update.

@jamesster I saw that thread while I was checking if someone did this already, before I started.

@pagicence I have those. Their author(s) manualy edited saved scene file with different coordinates for parts of an assembly. While shock are correct, LAs are extended (one row) beyond their real bricks counterpart limits. I'm basically letting you do the same through LDD with a disadvantage of being able to disconnect parts and requiring to group them for moving as "one piece".

Can I somehow make a poll on it in this thread? I'd rather include this but maybe most wouldn't like it.

Anyway, I got sick so not much have been done. Added possibility to connect these pieces:

SUqRbznl.png

Added pneumatic switches:

G0khKLsl.png

Also, if someone has this mast piece (from 70810 MetalBeard's Sea Cow), could make such assembly with real bricks? Put 2l axle at the bottom as deep as possible, a plate with holes and half-bushing. And let me know if an axle sticks out of the bushing or it's the other way around. I'm asking becouse it's not possible to place 32l long axle in this model in LDD and I could fix it if it's masts fault.

eGF9YgRl.png

Edited by Equilibrium