kraai

The Dark Side of the Moon out of Lego Technic

While on a conference call a few weeks ago, I muted my microphone and created a cheap-and-nasty 'prism' using some Technic liftarms. The concept worked great, but as I did not have an 11m purple liftarm I could not complete my idea of recreating an iconic Pink Floyd album cover.

I wanted the scale of design to be on a 32x32 baseplate, and match it as close to the album as I could. However, limitation in which angles will find a stud and the thickness of the liftarms made the 'prism' a lot bigger than it should be. I could increase the size of the base, but I don't have that many plates and jumper plates - this project kinda destroyed my stock of system parts. 

dark-side-of-the-moon-01.jpg

dark-side-of-the-moon-02.jpg

dark-side-of-the-moon-03.jpg

dark-side-of-the-moon-04.jpg

Cool concept, nice array of the colors and the way you did the greebling on the black background is just awesome. Very nice tribute!

The coloured beams are at the wrong angle, they should go down... remember your physics, angle of incidence and refraction etc. Or just look at the album cover!!

image.png.27d49e5844fbc3b667ca7f02521494f9.png

15 minutes ago, Carsten Svendsen said:

How did you fix the black parts? I don't see any pins or axles holding it together

Black magic.. 

Spoiler

They're held on by lego studs. 

Thank you all for your kind words. 

16 hours ago, TeamThrifty said:

The coloured beams are at the wrong angle, they should go down... remember your physics, angle of incidence and refraction etc. Or just look at the album cover!!

I know, I know. When you work with Lego to create any MOC, your limitation is first and foremost physical, in other words: what will fit, does Lego make a suitable element in the correct colour, do I have the parts in stock, etc. I know that the rainbow, or output part of the prism should bend more down but the blue liftarm pushes against the purple one, leaving me with this limitation in angle. I could probably have overcome this problem with more complicated studded parts, but I wanted to keep it as Technic as I could. 

We're going to have to agree to disagree about Roger Waters being a prat though. He will forever be known a founding member of one of the commercially most successful and influential groups in music history. In addition to being a superb musician, he's quite the philanthropist and from what I can tell an all round nice guy. I have fond memories of his visit to South Africa in the mid-1990s, giving a free guitar master class to young musicians. I'm sorry he hurt you. 

8 hours ago, Carsten Svendsen said:

How did you fix the black parts? I don't see any pins or axles holding it together

I build the black greebling in sections about as large as the one in the photo. The sections clutch on to plates or jumper plates stuck to a 32x32 baseplate. 

dark-side-of-the-moon-06.jpg