technic70s

2019 LEGO Trains - 70424

4 minutes ago, dr_spock said:

It appears that the new wheels are on the LEGO online Pick A Brick now. 

Thats true, but the matching bogie 38339 is not available (now)

20 minutes ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

That's not neccessary. Dedicated lubricants for ball bearings are made of lithium grease but may be cleaner than lubricants for common use. The friction reduction is very similar. The most important property is a rather high viscosity and resistance against dust and moisture. I expect no noticeable difference between the different grease types.

The good news is that we can solve the friction problem with minor effort, very little money and most important no mechanical modification of any parts.

20 minutes ago, Giottist said:

The good news is that we can solve the friction problem with minor effort, very little money and most important no mechanical modification of any parts.

My only concern with a lubricant is staining with prolonged use

2 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

My only concern with a lubricant is staining with prolonged use

No problem: It's a matter of minutes to clean up the old dirty grease and replace it with fresh one, using cotton swabs or a soft toothbrush for instance in combination with dish cleaner. The modern ball bearing greases are chemically stabilized. They are based on lithium soaps and not on more or less long and branched alkane molecules. Therefore they can't polymerize and become sticky and hard like old fashioned lubrication fats.

When I made a Pick a Brick order two days ago the bogies were available. At least in my browser PAB has some real problems displaying everything but i was seeing them.

If they would only release the train that is included in this set, I would be a happy camper. It's simpel, but still looks 10x better compared to what TLC designs.

5 hours ago, Carefree_Dude said:

That thing is so massive its hard to imagine it actually getting accepted

I think the problem is more that in its submitted design it relies a lot on large pieces from long-gone themes ... I doubt they will revive the molds for those (if the molds haven't been destroyed yet in the first place). I don't think it uses a vast amount of pieces for what it does, but if LEGO were to accept this they would have to redesign large parts of the structure, and that would drastically increase the piece count. So yes, it is hard to imagine it will actually get accepted.

7 hours ago, Carefree_Dude said:

That thing is so massive its hard to imagine it actually getting accepted

1 hour ago, Phil B said:

I think the problem is more that in its submitted design it relies a lot on large pieces from long-gone themes ... I doubt they will revive the molds for those (if the molds haven't been destroyed yet in the first place). I don't think it uses a vast amount of pieces for what it does, but if LEGO were to accept this they would have to redesign large parts of the structure, and that would drastically increase the piece count. So yes, it is hard to imagine it will actually get accepted.

At the very least, its success in achieving support may persuade Lego to consider an Expert-scaled train station even if they do reject it. Plus, it should be mentioned that it isn't the only train-based project in review currently... :wink:

LEGO Ideas - Toronto Rocket Subway Train: Minifigure-scale Electric Train by Legovader217

resize:1600:900

On 2/2/2020 at 4:34 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Plus, it should be mentioned that it isn't the only train-based project in review currently... :wink:

LEGO Ideas - Toronto Rocket Subway Train: Minifigure-scale Electric Train by Legovader217

Well. A subway train. Really?
These kind of trains are all uninspiring if not plain ugly. :look:
Grey monsters (like the one mentionend). :sick:
And subway trains run undergrond (mostly). What's the sense in having that in your city layout? The engine itself is close to the original but may not go where those trains originally go? :wall:

I'd rather have a nice locomotive or train engine ... but I sincerely doubt TLC will release anything like this anytime in the near future. :cry_sad:

I saw the subway as well and really dislike it. Apart from the fact that for me it does not have any appeal in looks, its scale is also way off. 10-wide?

The train station however is something different. I like it. A completely different design than what you would normally see, which makes it very attractive. It looks good, is complete, has nice details, and not overly excessive in size.

The station is something that I'd buy in a heartbeat, I just don't see something like that actually becoming a set. 

The subway designer did a good job of reaching the intended build he was going for, I'm just not a fan of subways. 

On 2/3/2020 at 11:23 AM, Holodoc said:

And subway trains run undergrond (mostly). What's the sense in having that in your city layout? The engine itself is close to the original but may not go where those trains originally go? :wall:

I'd rather have a nice locomotive or train engine ... but I sincerely doubt TLC will release anything like this anytime in the near future. :cry_sad:

I know, I know, I'd rather see any kind of steam locomotive that City could never give you achieve this kinda support; but hey, if they don't approve of it, it's at least gotta count towards making it apparent to Lego that there's some substantial interest in LEGO Railroading overall, right? :shrug_oh_well:

3 minutes ago, zephyr1934 said:

Could it be that the Toronto Subway got so many votes because of "Toronto" rather than "Subway"?

I can't help but feel that's the case, given the highlight image seems to focus quite more on it being a Canadian thing than it does on the subway itself.

Though I find both of these unlikely to become sets, the fact that we’ve now had at least 4 train related IDEAS sets reach 10000 (Modular Train Station, Vintage Tram, Toronto Rocket, Train Station : Studgate) should hopefully make them realise that people will buy an Expert set.

That said, I’ll always want a steam train more than a diesel or electric train, ESPECIALLY a subway train (unless it’s a London Underground train).

32 minutes ago, Vilhelm22 said:

That said, I’ll always want a steam train more than a diesel or electric train, ESPECIALLY a subway train (unless it’s a London Underground train).

You could combine the two if they gave us the Metropolitan One!

met-no-1.jpg

Edited by PeteM

On 2/3/2020 at 9:23 AM, Holodoc said:

Harsh but true. I would never buy a subway.

I'll be honest: I'm not a fan of the design, either. The guy went with, what, 10w, still managed to achieve only a stud-covered box? It's also obvious that almost zero effort was put into the trucks - they're just stock Lego wheels, and the cars themselves look like they're mounted something like 3-4 plates too high for no reason other than sheer laziness. No fluting for the roof? No effort to replicate the elongated windows? Why do anything, right?

This causes me to further question the purpose of Lego Ideas at all. I call rank Canadian jingoism on this one, and I hope Lego sees through it.

*Edit* It doesn't even look like the real thing:

Toronto_Rocket_Front_closeup.jpg

ttc-5886-rocket-at-vic-pk-stn-20180108.j

I wonder if I submitted a design and plastered it with American flags and stuff like this if I would get 10k supporters, too:

poster,840x830,f8f8f8-pad,1000x1000,f8f8

KERRANG_MURICA_2400x1350.jpg?auto=compre

tenor.gif?itemid=4184965

Edited by SteamSewnEmpire

1 hour ago, SteamSewnEmpire said:

I'll be honest: I'm not a fan of the design, either. The guy went with, what, 10w, still managed to achieve only a stud-covered box? It's also obvious that almost zero effort was put into the trucks - they're just stock Lego wheels, and the cars themselves look like they're mounted something like 3-4 plates too high for no reason other than sheer laziness. No fluting for the roof? No effort to replicate the elongated windows? Why do anything, right?

This causes me to further question the purpose of Lego Ideas at all. I call rank Canadian jingoism on this one, and I hope Lego sees through it.

*Edit* It doesn't even look like the real thing:

You've hit the nail on the head and hammered it in. For there to be ANY chance of Lego considering a non-steam train, I think the design must be 6-wide and built on the 6x24/28 baseplates. Subway trains (including this one) are generally fairly boxy EMUs and should be doable 6-wide.

Yes, there's always the paradox of how you would run one of these 'underground'. But a lot of subways run elevated/at grade once they get out of the metro area and into the suburbs though, so that's not insurmountable.

Lego Ideas is just fine. It's not a direct democracy; getting to 10K isn't difficult with a bit of publicity, e.g. if you can get hold of even a mid-level celebrity Youtuber's endorsement. That's why Lego has the proprietary review process to cull unfeasible ideas, of which I'm sure the Toronto train will be one.

I would love to see the station (Studgate) come to fruition. But, apart from its use of out-of-production large clear pieces as others have noted, there's also the fact that it has no cross-appeal beyond Lego train lovers. A station named after an iconic real-world counterpart (even if historical) would have a better chance even if the design necessarily took significant liberties with size and scale.

14 hours ago, izx said:

I would love to see the station (Studgate) come to fruition.

Yeah, I like the station, too. It's a bit on the fantastical side for my tastes, but I think the build itself is creative and looks solid. My beef was singularly with the subway - and normally I wouldn't criticize a fellow MOCer's work... I just took umbrage with the way it was marketed. 

Edited by SteamSewnEmpire

Isn't it somewhere in the LEGO Ideas T&Cs that they reserve the rights to modify the model as needed after it has been review selected to go into production?  What you see may not be what you get.