technic70s

2019 LEGO Trains - 70424

Just saw the news on Brothers brick that the New Theme - Hidden Side, includes a set with the name -Train. 

• 70424 Train | 698 pieces | $89.99 US | €7.99 EUR  (NOTE I think the decimal point was moved, I think it should be $79.99 EURO)

https://www.brothers-brick.com/2019/02/14/lego-unveils-new-hidden-side-product-line-with-eight-haunted-augmented-reality-sets-news/?fbclid=IwAR3U5PmK7Nx64A9YscgJTnXHOVvDQ4rVTVrfFsLBzFDJ3jV3p4tmsW1R7Uc

But the press release says

"LEGO Hidden Side includes a series of eight “haunted” building sets full of awesome functionality and secret surprises that, on their own, provide the build and roleplay fun of any LEGO play theme. "

So maybe its a Railway Station and not a train.

Edited by technic70s
Note on Euro price

The train would make perfect sense for "haunted" series, but it also makes sense in the context of the AR app - after all, PUP allows it to be controlled with the mobile.

Not sure how much can be crammed at this price tag though.

Not necessary all buildings, but probably "builds", check one set is named bus, and in the photos we can see a modified big bus, could be good news, and a new train appears, lets hope for it!!

7 hours ago, technic70s said:

Just saw the news on Brothers brick that the New Theme - Hidden Side, includes a set with the name -Ttrain. 

• 70424 Train | 698 pieces | $89.99 US | €7.99 EUR

https://www.brothers-brick.com/2019/02/14/lego-unveils-new-hidden-side-product-line-with-eight-haunted-augmented-reality-sets-news/?fbclid=IwAR3U5PmK7Nx64A9YscgJTnXHOVvDQ4rVTVrfFsLBzFDJ3jV3p4tmsW1R7Uc

But the press release says

"LEGO Hidden Side includes a series of eight “haunted” building sets full of awesome functionality and secret surprises that, on their own, provide the build and roleplay fun of any LEGO play theme. "

So maybe its a Railway Station and not a train.

i think the pricing in euros is wrong because 7.99 € is never 89.99$ 

XG BC

Just now, XG BC said:

i think the pricing in euros is wrong because 7.99 € is never 89.99$ 

XG BC

Yes, someone else pointed that out to me, I think the decimal point was moved, I think it should be $79.99 EURO ;-)

Interesting (though I wasn’t that keen on the Monster Fighters train) - and doubt that PUP will be included at that price.

There are pictures of some of the other sets around, but frustratingly not one for the train!

Yeah... there aren’t any pics of the train probably because it’ll be... underwhelming to say the least.

I wonder if it’ll be steam or diesel?

8 hours ago, technic70s said:

Yes, someone else pointed that out to me, I think the decimal point was moved, I think it should be $79.99 EURO ;-)

yes thats about right i think

XG BC

4 hours ago, M_slug357 said:

Yeah... there aren’t any pics of the train probably because it’ll be... underwhelming to say the least.

I wonder if it’ll be steam or diesel?

I'm assuming it will be push powered lmao

Somebody pointed out in the Hidden Sides thread that the set is priced much higher than the "Bus" set, even though it only has 9 more pieces than it. Could this possibly come with track?

Well, the "train folks" might not be their target. But if it doesn't sell well and they'll extrapolate it to trains then...

Kind of catch-22. They say it's more likely for them to release train within some theme (as opposed to standalone) to have greater reach,  but then - does it really work?

Looks like some sort of monster/zombie/mad scientist theme?  Not interesting to me, but maybe kids will be into it.

Also disappointing that they're again foregoing the standard magnetic couplers.  My son loves coupling/decoupling/rearranging the train cars, I imagine other kids do too.

I'm interested in that weird track piece.  That "funnel" shaped piece in front of the locomotive.  Could function as an on/off ramp to tracks could be useful somehow.

i think that the loco contains some sort of electronics because it has a lever at the roof.

XG BC

Just now, XG BC said:

i think that the loco contains some sort of electronics because it has a lever at the roof.

XG BC

Maybe it's for opening the front. 

In the third picture you can sort of see a bit behind the side of the engine - it does not look like there's any electronics in there.

I would be cool for a new monster theme, but I wouldn't buy this train as a train.

EDIT: wanted to add, as I commented about this in another thread; I feel like TLG is cheaping out on us with these half-size cars these days.

Edited by fred67

@legonerd54321 Thats a possibility! Its also possible that it just has a larger assortment of ridiculously large elements?

Is anyone else feeling like there definitely should’ve been a Ghostbusters’ tie in, but TLG couldn’t strike up a decent deal?

Is that a new tow ball piece for the couplers?  

The lever could be for exploding the sides for locomotive? 

1 hour ago, TrainDragon said:

Looks like some sort of monster/zombie/mad scientist theme?  Not interesting to me, but maybe kids will be into it.

Also disappointing that they're again foregoing the standard magnetic couplers.  My son loves coupling/decoupling/rearranging the train cars, I imagine other kids do too.

I'm interested in that weird track piece.  That "funnel" shaped piece in front of the locomotive.  Could function as an on/off ramp to tracks could be useful somehow.

I don't like the magnetic couplers. There are so many times where I turn on a train and it immediately un-couples since the new magnets are so weak.