Sign in to follow this  
Leewan

[MOC] Diogenes Trexler

Back in November, Brickset launched a Character Building Competition. For once, digital entries weren't forbidden. And in fact, not only they were allowed, but they even had their own category ! This was the perfect opportunity for me to finish a character I had the idea of building early last year : Diogenes Trexler, the most powerful wizard in the world (you can see him mentioned in this topic).

44593539450_0a879c8ab0_c.jpg

I wanted to do something really crazy with him. A friend of mine expected to see a lot of dark and edgy characters built for the contest, so I decided to go in a completely different direction and create the kind of character you don't often see with buildable figures : he's fat, he's weird, he wears a purple speedo and dark blue sandals, and he uses magic to change the colour of his hair. I basically see him as a mix between Jeff Lebowski and Doctor Strange. So as you can see above, he's actually blonde, but he makes his hair and beard look grey :

45497874625_8d8c7ea6a5_c.jpg

The goatee (which is made with a mop) was, IIRC, the starting point of the MOC. And for a long time, it was nothing but a head :

41064534854_22630c8d3b_n.jpg

it's when I found out about the contest that I decided to finish it. I decided to change his skin colour quite early ; you often see brick-built characters made of tan parts because it's a common colour. Since I build digitally, I don't have this constraint, so I went with medium nougat / medium dark flesh instead.

Diogenes is the most powerful wizard in the world, so he is not only able to make his enchanted surfboard levitate or change his hair colour as you can see above, he is also able to create energy orbs :

32538518968_6b8da1fd58_c.jpg

Or hypnotize people :

44593542390_58eee110ab_z.jpg

Which means he can summon a Medusnail (wizards and witches can summon magical creatures based on their powers : for example someone who's good at using fire magic will be able to summon a dragon or other fire-related creatures. In Diogenes' case, hypnosis is his specialty, so he can summon creatures with eyes-based powers) :

45497878125_2aaa6882ea_z.jpg

32538520268_da55706296_z.jpg

I initially wanted to go full absurd and give him a useless animal, like a blobfish or a jellyfish (it can be dangerous, but couldn't be able to move outside of the water), but I liked the idea of combining a snail and Medusa so much that I kept it.

When he's bored, he leaves his body and travels on a cosmic plane :

44593543950_a39f71dcfc_c.jpg

All of these images were created with Mecabricks. I mostly used the features of the renderfarm, and didn't edit any of the renders, except the one right above, where I took a screenshot of the model with Matcap lighting and X-ray enabled and put it on a space-y background.

45497877165_372db3e86e_z.jpg

"Now, off we go my dear Benicio !"

More renders can be seen in the flickr gallery I've specially created for him : https://www.flickr.com/photos/161156032@N05/ (I chose not to post these renders on my main account because I liked the idea of having a completely crazy entry appearing out of nowhere)

Hope you'll like him, cheers !

There's so much personality and charm in this guy. As you said, it's a nice change of pace to see some goofier characters rather than your typical edgy warriors. A well-deserved win in my opinion!

On 2/17/2019 at 2:52 AM, Mitch Henry said:

There's so much personality and charm in this guy. As you said, it's a nice change of pace to see some goofier characters rather than your typical edgy warriors. A well-deserved win in my opinion!

Thanks Mitch. :wink:

On 5/4/2019 at 2:24 PM, Mechbuilds said:

Instructions for the medusnail would be awesome. 

I don't think it can be built with physical bricks in any colour, but if you want to try, I think this will be enough to understand how I made it :

8d5c3387015d9ca8399e77b861399623cffdb005

24 minutes ago, Leewan said:

Thanks Mitch. :wink:

I don't think it can be built with physical bricks in any colour, but if you want to try, I think this will be enough to understand how I made it :

8d5c3387015d9ca8399e77b861399623cffdb005

Thanks for sharing!

Thats the most original creation I have seen in a while, I tip my hat to your crazy brilliant mind and wish this was a set. :laugh::thumbup:

Also medusnail and the hypnosis pic made me chuckle. 

If you like crazy powerful wizards, check out the comic "Curse Words".This guy would fit right in lol

Edited by Henchmen4Hire