From the first time I saw the theme for this Lego Technic contest, I was intrigued by it and wanted to give it a try, but it had to be a biplane. I have a soft spot for these aircrafts, after seeing them in many documentaries and old Hollywood movies.

And after some time on the world wide web, I was hooked on the striking blue/yellow color combination on the Boeing Stearman Model 75. It's basically a military trainer aircraft built starting from 1934, in the United States. More than 10k were built until 1940, and after the WWII, they were sold to civilians. This was a great move, cause they were used as crop dusters, then as sport and acrobatic planes used in air shows. Around 1500 are still in use today, and many are at display in museums around the world.

But enough of this, you can read more about it and see real photos on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing-Stearman_Model_75

I tried my best to replicate the sleek lines of this marvelous biplane, while including relevant functions, such as:

Functions:
- motorized rotor
- working ailerons (front)
- working elevators (back)
- functional tail rudder

Technical Specs:
Scale: 1:19
Weight: 956g
Lenght: 46cm
Wing span: 52cm
Height: 18cm

As the model is finished, see some representative photos here:

40128223613_d60be3662b_z_d.jpg

40128223783_e54c1b34a6_z_d.jpg

46179286185_33160c4550_z_d.jpg

40128223463_777e6da8e5_z_d.jpg

So guys, I managed to get the stickers on, so here is the final model:

40150819563_6b3897a4fa_z_d.jpg

40150820603_f4cd9c82bc_z_d.jpg

46201610905_3de77e84ac_z_d.jpg

32173450287_e826bd98e2_z_d.jpg

47115531831_1ec0308163_z_d.jpg

See more detailed photos on my Flickr account: https://www.flickr.com/photos/braker23/albums/72157705259798851/with/46179286365/

Video is done and online, let me know what you think about functions:

Thank you all for your time!

Edited by braker23
Added video, finally

Well done - it looks like a non-lego model and the colour scheme really pops out. Since you've managed to make it quite realistic, I think adding strings between the wings would really add that final cherry on top. Congratulations and good luck on the competition.

I think you got my vote!!  I like the color and it looks like it would be fun to build...  good luck with your entry !!  

I just seen Howard Hughes Hell Angeles (on youtube) and that was release in 1930 and now biplanes and other air crafts from that era are my favorites!! 

Oh my gosh, this suddenly landed out of nowhere. Stealth biplane :wink:

Definitely one of the best looking entries. Needs a demonstration of the functions and how they work to do full justice to the model ! There are a few other entries which have fantastic functions. The functions demo will help this model compete better.

Good looking, the colors really do POP!

The contest requires an active build topic, this is just the finished model.
Part of what makes contests fun is the following of the build topic's and to see how a MOC grows into it's final form.

Could you show us some work in progress pictures?

10 hours ago, MajklSpajkl said:

Well done - it looks like a non-lego model and the colour scheme really pops out. Since you've managed to make it quite realistic, I think adding strings between the wings would really add that final cherry on top. Congratulations and good luck on the competition.

Thank you very much, coming from you it means a lot to me. Strings were in my mind as well, and I already tried to add some. But as those require connection points, it's rather impossible at this point because I am have very few yellow connectors left...

4 hours ago, iLego said:

Oh my gosh, this suddenly landed out of nowhere. Stealth biplane :wink:

Definitely one of the best looking entries. Needs a demonstration of the functions and how they work to do full justice to the model ! There are a few other entries which have fantastic functions. The functions demo will help this model compete better.

Thank you very much! Of course, without a demo video I stand no chance, there are plenty fantastic builds already. I am gonna film it tonight, hope it goes well.

2 hours ago, shadow_elenter said:

Good looking, the colors really do POP!

The contest requires an active build topic, this is just the finished model.
Part of what makes contests fun is the following of the build topic's and to see how a MOC grows into it's final form.

Could you show us some work in progress pictures?

Thanks mate! But honestly, what do you mean about the active build topic? I read the rules also now, I see no such requirement. Hope you're wrong, cause I do not have any WIP photos...

Anyway, I do not relate to this WIP build fashion. Any of my builds takes loads of time and I am never satisfied enough in order to make photos, unless it's done and looks exactly how I imagined it.

7 hours ago, sirslayer said:

I think you got my vote!!  I like the color and it looks like it would be fun to build...  good luck with your entry !!  

I just seen Howard Hughes Hell Angeles (on youtube) and that was release in 1930 and now biplanes and other air crafts from that era are my favorites!! 

2 hours ago, Jurss said:

Really good looking! Almost model team build.

Thank you all for your kind words, I am really thrilled that you like my model :sweet:

Edited by braker23
Proper spacing

1 hour ago, braker23 said:

! But honestly, what do you mean about the active build topic? I read the rules also now, I see no such requirement. Hope you're wrong, cause I do not have any WIP photos...

From the TC15 general topic, rules about the MOC discussion topic: 

A discussion topic needs to show some actual progress (i.e. pictures of the build in progress) and should NOT be used to "reserve an idea".

In your case the topic is not used to 'reserve an idea' which I think is the main reason for this rule, so you might be OK there... Judges decision I guess?

That aside, I really like this build, for the looks but also the subject matter itself. I think it is the only (active) pre-WW II era entry in the contest so far. Looking forward to seeing all its functions in the video:thumbup:

Edited by Rudivdk

Well, the way I interpreted, the contest doesn't require to show WIP pictures, but it's certainly encouraged to do so (with a raffle prize this time), since it helps creating interesting talk about the challenges we run into with our builds. There's a lot of community value in many people building the same thing and discussing their challenges with each other.

But it's not everybody's cup of tea. It takes courage to show unfinished builds, because you may show failures. I was really hesitant about it at first and really had to learn it. But I can really recommend it, even if it feels like taking off your clothes in public at first. You get a lot in return :)

With that out of the way, I have to say I really like this model. I really like the yellow-blue combination (which is not often seen) and the panelling looks really nice. Very smooth curves in lots of places, good use of flex axles on the wing ends. I like the use of the blue ribbed hoses for the construction of the wings. Also, the wings seem to have only very little sag, so their construction looks quite rigid. Nice job :)

But .. as it's a Technic model, I'd like to see more about the functionality. How do all the control surfaces work, and the engine? Could you show a few pictures of that? Maybe after you've done all the contest pictures and video, could you show a few photos of the inside and the linkages or gear systems that make everything work?

Absolutely stunning!
Great work! :thumbup:

On 2/14/2019 at 4:31 PM, braker23 said:

I have a soft spot for these aircrafts

So have I... Good to see there are fellow enthusiasts! :classic:

5 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

Well, the way I interpreted, the contest doesn't require to show WIP pictures, but it's certainly encouraged to do so (with a raffle prize this time), since it helps creating interesting talk about the challenges we run into with our builds. There's a lot of community value in many people building the same thing and discussing their challenges with each other.

But it's not everybody's cup of tea. It takes courage to show unfinished builds, because you may show failures. I was really hesitant about it at first and really had to learn it. But I can really recommend it, even if it feels like taking off your clothes in public at first. You get a lot in return :)

With that out of the way, I have to say I really like this model. I really like the yellow-blue combination (which is not often seen) and the panelling looks really nice. Very smooth curves in lots of places, good use of flex axles on the wing ends. I like the use of the blue ribbed hoses for the construction of the wings. Also, the wings seem to have only very little sag, so their construction looks quite rigid. Nice job :)

But .. as it's a Technic model, I'd like to see more about the functionality. How do all the control surfaces work, and the engine? Could you show a few pictures of that? Maybe after you've done all the contest pictures and video, could you show a few photos of the inside and the linkages or gear systems that make everything work?

Erik, when I saw the reply notification, I was hesitant. Your opinion is very important to me, so I am pleased that you appreciate my model. You are right about the WIP photos, I am still not ready to come out, but sometimes a new point of view is exactly what you need, in order to get it right and stop wasting time on your own. I will probably try this on the next competition, if I decide to participate.

You noticed the areas where I struggled the most, the wing ends and the wing support pillars, which had to be slim and with no holes at all :wink:

As functions go, I have tried to incorporate all the important ones. First there is the rotor, which is driven by an M motor, placed where the real engine resides. Because of the internal structure, I had no room for a small battery box inside the plane, so I built a hatch in the cockpit floor, in order to get the cable out. This way, I can power it from an external BB placed under the wheels and leave it spinning when it will be on display, on future Lego exhibits. Next, the ailerons are operated by a joystick and the elevators with a lever, both found inside the 1st cockpit, similar to the real plane. As I could not fit also the tail rudder in there as well, I decided to use a HoG approach instead and placed this in the 2nd cockpit. I actually made a photo for this purpose, see it below.

46179285855_a2043fd5f7_z_d.jpg

One last thing: everything I build has to be sturdy and playable as well, I am the proud father of 2 boys and they basically represent my QA department :grin:

Edited by braker23

22 hours ago, braker23 said:

Thanks mate! But honestly, what do you mean about the active build topic? I read the rules also now, I see no such requirement. Hope you're wrong, cause I do not have any WIP photos...

Line in the contest topic:
A discussion topic needs to show some actual progress
 (i.e. pictures of the build in progress) and should NOT be used to "reserve an idea".

"needs" is technically a requirement in this context I'd say, luckily the moderators end-goal here is to promote fun and you bring it so I think you're good:wink:.

I agree with Erik, I also recommend you give it a shot even though it's outside of your comfort zone.
Comments can be used to make your work better!

Keep up the good work!

12 hours ago, shadow_elenter said:

Line in the contest topic:
A discussion topic needs to show some actual progress
 (i.e. pictures of the build in progress) and should NOT be used to "reserve an idea".

"needs" is technically a requirement in this context I'd say, luckily the moderators end-goal here is to promote fun and you bring it so I think you're good:wink:.

I agree with Erik, I also recommend you give it a shot even though it's outside of your comfort zone.
Comments can be used to make your work better!

Keep up the good work!

As far as I know, that rule has been in place for every recent Eurobricks contest, so yeah, it's all good.
By the way folks, check out my new photos, now with stickers :wink:

What a clean and colorful deisgn. You managed to create and fill in the curves in a really nice manner, from a distance It doesn't look like Lego technic at all! Also really like the way you used axles to create the front mask of the engine. Best of luck.

Great looking and with all expected functions. What’s not to like. The very best of luck in the competition.

18 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

What a clean and colorful deisgn. You managed to create and fill in the curves in a really nice manner, from a distance It doesn't look like Lego technic at all! Also really like the way you used axles to create the front mask of the engine. Best of luck.

I am very pleased that you like my model, the countless work hours are all worth it. Seems that multiple people said it does not look like Lego, from a distance, my purpose is achieved :sweet: