This was my eighth entry for the Colossal Castle Contest XVI, in the Classic Castle category. Like the original Wolfpack sets, I used primarily black walls with bley accents, red roofs, and even included a few dark gray parrots. A hinging portion and removable wall give access to the full interior.

The bandit wolfpack’s keep is set on a small lake deep in one of Mitgardia's many forests. It serves as their permanent base of operations. A sturdy drawbridge is the only way to access the fortress, and its secluded position has kept it safe so far from any large scale attacks by the jarl’s soldiers.

overview-9.jpg

Right-1.jpg

drawbridge.jpg

interior.jpg

cards.jpg

Plenty more pictures can be seen on Brickbuilt.

Feedback always appreciated:dsweet:

I think you know I like this :grin:  Lovely keep, SK - this is definitely one of the best castle builds using black as a primary wall color that I've seen!  I'm totally digging the angles you got in there as well, and of course the hinging function and interior are awesome! :wub:

Very characteristically awesome SK castle. I can't get over how easy you make this stuff look. I really like the color choices but the base is especially interesting here.

That is simply beautiful. Simple and beautiful. I want it lol.

Also, I had never heard of classic castle as a website before, so thanks for that.

Very nice keep.  Simple but looks great, just shows sometimes simple is just as good as the complex creations.  I like how you incorporated a full interior and used the classic wolfpack colors.  Excellent job.  

Lovely building - could be an original! The dark grey parrots are most important - when I exhumed my bricks from childhood days this week, I found not less then 13 of them. I think they can make their way as gargoyles for a chapel or a church.

As always, your interiors are great.  I really like the feel of this--it reminds me of some of the old Black Monarch's Castle builds and such and has a level of detail without going into something that is unrecognizable as a classic castle build.  I particularly like the trans blue water, excellent use of the green feathers (although these kind of get away from the classic feel), and the red roof.  Very nice work!

Awesome job, SK! I wish LEGO actually went for a redux series of Classic Castle sets in the way you build them! :wub:

'even included a few dark gray parrots'   <-- :roflmao::roflmao:

Nice to see a build inspired by one of the main factions of my childhood castle Lego, but not very frequently seen today :thumbup:

Great build overall and as usual very nice details :classic:

The set on which I presume you loosely based this build was my absolute favorite childhood castle set. The Wolfpack was always my faction of choice, by far my favorite crew. They typically joined with the foresters against the Black Knights and Black Falcons that I had...

The features are pretty cool, but I have to say the black is just a little too black for me; that is, it is too overpowering. It might just be me, though, since I generally don't favor black as a castle-building color. Your pictures look great, though, considering that it is a black structure and those are always a beast to capture on camera. 

On 2/14/2019 at 10:11 AM, Servertijd said:

This is very nice! I always admired the old castle sets. The walls, bridge and interior are very well done :).

Thanks!

On 2/14/2019 at 10:36 AM, Garmadon said:

I think you know I like this :grin:  Lovely keep, SK - this is definitely one of the best castle builds using black as a primary wall color that I've seen!  I'm totally digging the angles you got in there as well, and of course the hinging function and interior are awesome! :wub:

Thank you Garmadon. Working with black is definitely a challenge.

On 2/14/2019 at 6:06 PM, mccoyed said:

Very characteristically awesome SK castle. I can't get over how easy you make this stuff look. I really like the color choices but the base is especially interesting here.

Thanks mccoyed :blush:
I'm glad you like how the base worked out as it was fairly time consuming to build.

On 2/14/2019 at 7:25 PM, leafan said:

That is simply beautiful. Simple and beautiful. I want it lol.

Also, I had never heard of classic castle as a website before, so thanks for that.

Thanks, and you're welcome! It's where I first found the online LEGO community and is certainly a good forum to know about if you like LEGO Castle :classic:

On 2/14/2019 at 11:02 PM, zoth33 said:

Very nice keep.  Simple but looks great, just shows sometimes simple is just as good as the complex creations.  I like how you incorporated a full interior and used the classic wolfpack colors.  Excellent job.  

Thanks man!

On 2/15/2019 at 3:38 AM, derEselausErgste said:

Lovely building - could be an original! The dark grey parrots are most important - when I exhumed my bricks from childhood days this week, I found not less then 13 of them. I think they can make their way as gargoyles for a chapel or a church.

Thank you, and yeah gotta love those old parrots :laugh:

On 2/15/2019 at 4:10 PM, Grover said:

As always, your interiors are great.  I really like the feel of this--it reminds me of some of the old Black Monarch's Castle builds and such and has a level of detail without going into something that is unrecognizable as a classic castle build.  I particularly like the trans blue water, excellent use of the green feathers (although these kind of get away from the classic feel), and the red roof.  Very nice work!

Thanks Grover. You're right that the feathers look a bit out of place style wise. We got a bunch of them from LUGbulk and I was eager to try them out.

On 2/16/2019 at 6:31 AM, en_zoo said:

Awesome job, SK! I wish LEGO actually went for a redux series of Classic Castle sets in the way you build them! :wub:

'even included a few dark gray parrots'   <-- :roflmao::roflmao:

Thanks en_zoo, it would be so nice to have some official LEGO castle sets again.

On 2/17/2019 at 5:39 AM, Gideon said:

Nice to see a build inspired by one of the main factions of my childhood castle Lego, but not very frequently seen today :thumbup:

Great build overall and as usual very nice details :classic:

Thank you Gideon, I'm a big fan of the Wolfpack faction.

On 3/4/2019 at 3:05 PM, Henjin_Quilones said:

The set on which I presume you loosely based this build was my absolute favorite childhood castle set. The Wolfpack was always my faction of choice, by far my favorite crew. They typically joined with the foresters against the Black Knights and Black Falcons that I had...

The features are pretty cool, but I have to say the black is just a little too black for me; that is, it is too overpowering. It might just be me, though, since I generally don't favor black as a castle-building color. Your pictures look great, though, considering that it is a black structure and those are always a beast to capture on camera. 

Thanks HQ! I tried to break up the black with a fair bit of bley, but it is still pretty dark.