Roadmonkeytj

[MOC] Logging Lilly Fork

4 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

Did they run two truck or three truck shays?  There was a "light shay" as well

Honestly I'm confident this design could be reworked to a narrower gauge...  Might have to get creative on the connection point though. 

The one that photos exist of was definitely a 2-truck shay, with a large funnel smokestack like the original one that Stephen Pakbaz built.

I had no idea my Shay engine would have such a long-lasting impact on the LEGO train community.  As a fan of steam engines and LEGO, I originally designed it just to see if it was reasonably mechanically possible.  It gives me endless joy to see others duplicate, modify, customize, improve, and expand upon my design.  You guys are awesome!

- Stephen Pakbaz

20 hours ago, Perijove said:

I had no idea my Shay engine would have such a long-lasting impact on the LEGO train community.  As a fan of steam engines and LEGO, I originally designed it just to see if it was reasonably mechanically possible.  It gives me endless joy to see others duplicate, modify, customize, improve, and expand upon my design.  You guys are awesome!

- Stephen Pakbaz

I can say a major thank you too you...  You saved me tons of engineering on working pistons and driven trucks ... And they really needed no redesign! 

I think that's what is brilliant about your train...  It doesn't need improvement just stylize it to your rr!   

I love your log loader, Roadmonkeytj.  I was not aware of this logging method and found the concept (rails on rails) fascinating.  As a Mechanical Engineer, and train fan, I love learning new things like this and had fun looking into it more.  

11 hours ago, Perijove said:

I love your log loader, Roadmonkeytj.  I was not aware of this logging method and found the concept (rails on rails) fascinating.  As a Mechanical Engineer, and train fan, I love learning new things like this and had fun looking into it more.  

I'm glad you like it!   It seems when everyone thinks of logging in the states it's focused on Pacific and northwest with steam donkeys and log lines and great big hardwoods (similar to the one you originally hid the battery in).  Most of the logging in VW, VA, NC, TN, KY areas were done with Mule teams.   The problem is most of these mills were a temporary operation and would only be set up for as long as the wood held out.   Most Appalachian Logging railroads were 8 -20 miles long and then they moved.  Then as tech opened up loaders and skidders became the replacement for mules.  

On 2/26/2019 at 11:26 PM, Perijove said:

- Stephen Pakbaz

I need to thank you Stephen for the design of the Shay and Roadmonkey for this designing and posting this neat train. As soon as I saw this thread, I had to build that locomotive. I found the lxf file of Murdoch and ordered all the parts 10 days ago. Last night I assembled it, the trucks were a challenge (mostly I think due to the way LDD ordered the assembly sequence) and it runs great with a WeDo 2.0 motor and PUP hub. I too am a mechanical engineer so the visible spinning gears and crankshaft were really appealing. There's an operating Shay at the Hesston Steam Museum, not far from me, that I've seen and marveled at, so it's great to add one to my layout. Now to figure out how to hide the hub and to make the hub think the WeDo motor is a train motor.

Dave

16 hours ago, bogieman said:

I need to thank you Stephen for the design of the Shay and Roadmonkey for this designing and posting this neat train. As soon as I saw this thread, I had to build that locomotive. I found the lxf file of Murdoch and ordered all the parts 10 days ago. Last night I assembled it, the trucks were a challenge (mostly I think due to the way LDD ordered the assembly sequence) and it runs great with a WeDo 2.0 motor and PUP hub. I too am a mechanical engineer so the visible spinning gears and crankshaft were really appealing. There's an operating Shay at the Hesston Steam Museum, not far from me, that I've seen and marveled at, so it's great to add one to my layout. Now to figure out how to hide the hub and to make the hub think the WeDo motor is a train motor.

Dave

for making the hub think the WeDo motor to be a train motor you either have to open the motor and solder different id resistors in it or you use a custom pc program to controll your train like:

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/169318-control-all-your-powered-up-power-function-sbrick-devices-with-a-single-software/

also i have found a post of a guy doing exactly that:

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/162288-powered-up-a-tear-down/&page=15

XG BC

Edited by XG BC

10 hours ago, XG BC said:

for making the hub think the WeDo motor to be a train motor you either have to open the motor and solder different id resistors in it or you use a custom pc program to controll your train like:

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/169318-control-all-your-powered-up-power-function-sbrick-devices-with-a-single-software/

also i have found a post of a guy doing exactly that:

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/162288-powered-up-a-tear-down/&page=15

XG BC

The last post currently on page 15 you link to is mine after I made the switch inside the motor. Was really easy to do, hardest part is getting the motor cover off without destroying it.

On 2/26/2019 at 10:26 PM, Perijove said:

- Stephen Pakbaz

Thanks @Perijove for your awesome MOC! Your inspirational Shay has finally been built by me... but not for me.

47157745362_c3a5472ca7_z.jpg

My father wanted a shay for his 2001-era My Own Train blue log cars, and thus I built him the loco you see here. (sorry if I hijacked the thread!)

On 3/2/2019 at 12:12 PM, bogieman said:

Dave

I would love if you snapped a pic of it!   My original plan was to put it on a flat car (I have an old picture somewhere of just this.)  They would remove the trucks and crib up the loco on a flat car.   The trucks were on a separate flat car.   This was done when transported on standard gauge to be offloaded onto narrow gauge. So no motor or fuel on board.  With the PUP I found it easy to "hide" the battery.  You can definitely use the original "redwood" log car.  My original plan was to hide it in some smaller logs stack . . . But I couldn't resist the loader.  I also have pictures of Ritter lumbers Shay pulling a boxcar so that could be a solution.  Or possibly putting the battery in the caboose and jumper wires between all the cars. 

10 hours ago, bogieman said:

The last post currently on page 15 you link to is mine after I made the switch inside the motor. Was really easy to do, hardest part is getting the motor cover off without destroying it.

Does this make it identify as the batman m motor? 

7 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

47157745362_c3a5472ca7_z.jpg

My father wanted a shay for his 2001-era My Own Train blue log cars, and thus I built him the loco you see here. (sorry if I hijacked the thread!)

Interesting how you moved the cab entry forward and extended the roof rear.  As far as the hijack I'm not upset...  It's good to see how this model has been interpreted by several people. 

19 hours ago, bogieman said:

oh sorry i didnt look at who posted it. anyways good job

XG BC

19 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

I would love if you snapped a pic of it!   My original plan was to put it on a flat car (I have an old picture somewhere of just this.)  They would remove the trucks and crib up the loco on a flat car.   The trucks were on a separate flat car.   This was done when transported on standard gauge to be offloaded onto narrow gauge. So no motor or fuel on board.  With the PUP I found it easy to "hide" the battery.  You can definitely use the original "redwood" log car.  My original plan was to hide it in some smaller logs stack . . . But I couldn't resist the loader.  I also have pictures of Ritter lumbers Shay pulling a boxcar so that could be a solution.  Or possibly putting the battery in the caboose and jumper wires between all the cars. 

Does this make it identify as the batman m motor? 

After the simple mod, it behaves likes it's a train motor so the PUP remote controls it like any other train. 

Here's my Shay, I changed the color of the stack for the model Murdoch posted otherwise it's a complete copy. I really liked the dark green, brass look, and brown so just stuck with it. It's really impressive how smooth it runs; I thought all the gearing would sap all the power that tiny motor generates.

33409262098_00aa6c764e_c.jpgShay Locomotive by David Goding, on Flickr

Edited by bogieman