M_longer

Mack Granite Snow Plow - 42078 alternate model

800x450.jpg

Yet another Technic set was sacrificed...

In short:
Parts from 42078 Mack Anthem were used for building from scratch another Mack truck, the Granite. It was created with using blueprints of real truck, within the given range of parts. Actually, it is a dump truck, with removable moldboard and sand spreader. It tows a quite unusal trailer, not seen on the european union roads, but used on US roads.

Let's start with overall look. It was supposed to resemble these:

76.jpg

800x600.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

01.jpg
40.jpg
42.jpg

And now with details, what we have here:

The truck is a Mack Granite, with three axle chassis and a dump body. There's no fake engine under the hood, but there are many other things packed inside.
And what is inside?

22.jpg
23.jpg

Openable doors, with cab interior and working steering wheel:

32.jpg

Of course there's Mack the Bulddog ornament on the front:

24.jpg

Elevation of the dump bed is operated by black bevel gear on the left side of the chassis:

21.jpg
20.jpg

Front moldboard can be elevetaed by turning black bevel gear on the right side:

17.jpg
18.jpg

Whole truck is quite modular, the dump bed is held in place by 4 technic pins, and sand spreader is held in place by two pins and axle protruding through dump bed:

39.jpg

And as we speak about the spreader; after placing it on the back, and adding the moldboard, the truck becames a true snow plow:

38.jpg

34.jpg
35.jpg
36.jpg
37.jpg
31.jpg

The spreading disc is driven by rear axle of the truck:

33.jpg

The trailer:

30.jpg

It is a tow plow trailer, quite unusual piece of winter equipment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkmBP-ISzKk

47.jpg
48.jpg
49.jpg

Model made from bricks has the two most needed functions of the real counterpart, which are elevating of the moldboard:

15.jpg
16.jpg

And four axle steering, which also sets the whole frame at angle:

43.jpg
44.jpg
45.jpg
46.jpg

41.jpg

These two manage to plow a snow quite good (but it works much better with bricks)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlQn5gOzQTA

As usual for my C models, this one also comes with instructions.
They can be bought at Sellfy and Rebrickable:

https://sellfy.com/p/VDnT/

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-22014/M_longer/42078-alternate-mack-granite-snow-plow

Instructions sample:
https://bricksafe.com/files/M_longer/42078-alt/snowplow/42078 instructions sample.pdf

Few pages from the instructions:
72.jpg
73.jpg
74.jpg
75.jpg

Comparison of A and C models (I do not have A model assembled):

42078AnC4.jpg
42078AnC2.jpg
42078AnC3.jpg
42078AnC5.jpg

Blueprint:

800x526.jpg

Bonus round; snow, a cat, and test model, built with different colour scheme:

62.jpg
64.jpg
65.jpg
66.jpg
67.jpg
68.jpg
69.jpg

Meet Rudolf the Cat:

70.jpg
71.jpg

Test model, which was used to test the instructions. This colour change required swapping of few parts (7L liftarms, instead 3L and 2L on the doors for example).
I wonder if its cab could be built in orange...

55.jpg
54.jpg
53.jpg
52.jpg
51.jpg
50.jpg

60.jpg
61.jpg

Now's the time for the LKP 0403...

Wow! I knew that Mack is a great set for trucks MOCing but yours... I wish there was a kind of Lord of the Rigs badge for you!

Does the trailer skew freely, when you just rotate the drawbar, or is there any actuator that makes is and keeps the trailer skewed?

1 hour ago, Void_S said:

Does the trailer skew freely, when you just rotate the drawbar, or is there any actuator that makes is and keeps the trailer skewed?

There's a large linear actuator inside the frame.

1 hour ago, jorgeopesi said:

Awesome work, can we have some day instructions of your underground equipment ?, they are fantastic MOCs even being old.

I am still considering it, because all of them will have their 2.0 versions, along with some new machinery, on that 14 teeth sprocket wheels from 42095 :)

4 minutes ago, M_longer said:

I am still considering it, because all of them will have their 2.0 versions, along with some new machinery, on that 14 teeth sprocket wheels from 42095 :)

We are thinking the same... today I have received a few but building without those new big L.A.s it looks to me very hard...

This is superb. I love the unusual trailer, and all the functions are pulled off very nicely. Great work! Will definitely add to my building list! :)

The model is good looking, the functions are cool, and the whole thing is very nicely built and designed.

You nailed it.

Good job recreating the trailer portion, we have a few of those around here and they are amazing to watch in action. I have even thought of doing one myself but yours is so great I may just build it. I guess it's time to ante up and buy a second Mack Anthem set. Thanks for showing this well done MOC. 

Awesome dude! To me this is the best mod/alternative yet. And I like the red and yellow version more, because of the vibrant colors.

This should have been the A-model. I would by 42078 set just so that I can build this.

Edited by pagicence

Very very beautiful model. It does not look as a C-model, I don't see any compromise due to lack of parts. Very good job!

Thank you very much for the instructions! In the beginning I was hesitating if I should buy this set, but it has turned out to be a very rewarding set with excellent B and C models.

I have the unbuilt 42078 right beside me, i am seriously contemplating jumping straight to this version. Excellent work, i think this is one of the best C-model ideas i've seen around  here. 

I really do like the test version in red with the yellow trailer. The colour just pop's!

I did see these in use in Toronto three way on one of the freeways.