NeoSephiroth

[MOD] German shunter locomtive MaK 600458

Hello everyone.^^

Here is my new Lego MOD creation, a german shunter locomotive. It's based on the DB MaK 600458 (first pictures)

mijasper had built a really similar shunter MOC 14 years ago. I had no clue about that but now that I know it, I want to give him credits.

I made 3 different color versions (there is a 4th one, but it's basically the same as the "dark blue / tan" one, just in "red / tan".
All of them were used, and some are still used by the Deutsche Bahn.
Also the model comes in 2 different width, on 6 studs wide (better for playing) and one with 8 studs width (looks better).
I've built the red / light grey version with 6 studs width for my tracks.

Btw., it comes with a 9V motor because a battery box would ruin the look. If somebody wants to build it with the old or new PF, I would recommend to use a seperate wagon to store the batterie box.

I hope you like it.^^

mak_600203_53hsklu.jpgmak_600451_55z5kzu.jpg12064--1x7j81.jpg
mak600458-rab365143-7c9kdy.jpg mak600458-rab365143-7hpkhk.jpg mak600458-rab365143-777jdt.jpg mak600458-rab365143-75ljex.jpg mak600458-rab365143-7pqjbt.jpg mak600458-rab365143-7s1kvm.jpg dsc_000308kcc.jpg dsc_0006vtkh1.jpg dsc_0009mpkos.jpg

Please check out my Lego Ideas post for this locomotive (and my E103 Rheingold Express) and support it if you like it. Thank you so much!
https://ideas.lego.com/projects/3720176b-b0dd-41f3-8600-1c624b602abe
https://ideas.lego.com/projects/f439453c-ecee-4c44-a5de-8c010a3dda56

Edited by NeoSephiroth

Great work, worth to be supported and I'm supporting this idea.
Living in the Northwest of Stutgart I saw this loco nearly daily in operation. But sadly it dissapeared to the scrabyard.
So please support this idea: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/3720176b-b0dd-41f3-8600-1c624b602abe

but see this loco in action at Stuttgart Hauptbahnhof ( = Main Station)

Edited by mrseven

Nice engines! If it weren't for the blue background on the renders, I wouldn't be able to tell where the real prototypes end and the models begin!

Hello!

18 hours ago, NeoSephiroth said:

Here is my new own Lego creation, a german shunter locomotive.

At best the shown creation is a MOD of this shunter built fourteen years ago ...

Let's be honest,
Michael

6 hours ago, mijasper said:

Hello!

At best the shown creation is a MOD of this shunter built fourteen years ago ...

Let's be honest,
Michael

Oh ok. Actually I've never seen that one before.
I've built the 6 studs wide shunter first without even had in mind an 8 studs wide one for a while. I've built a the 8 studs wide one because another guy told me it would look better.
And you're right, it looks almost the same. I took my inspiration from 2 or 3 other MOCs for specific parts of the 8 studs wide shunter to be honest, but not from this one.
Seems like you had the same ideas with nearly the same result or the other MOCs were I took my inspiration from took their inspiration from that specific MOC.
That's a bit embarrassing for me now, cause I had no clue about that. But I think that's how Lego is. Some times people have the same ideas without knowing from each other.
And with limited parts and building technics that can happen, especially when you build a model with Legos that exists in reality.

Thank you for telling me. I hope you all don't
mind if I still say that it's my creation because it is, but I will change my first post to give you credits.

Edited by NeoSephiroth

it looks realy cool. the DB did call them V60 back then. v stood for verbrennungsmotor (diesel powered)

XG BC

5 hours ago, NeoSephiroth said:

Oh ok. Actually I've never seen that one before.
I've built the 6 studs wide shunter first without even had in mind an 8 studs wide one for a while. I've built a the 8 studs wide one because another guy told me it would look better.
And you're right, it looks almost the same. I took my inspiration from 2 or 3 other MOCs for specific parts of the 8 studs wide shunter to be honest, but not from this one.
Seems like that guy had the same ideas with nearly the same result or the other MOCs were I took my inspiration from took their inspiration from that specific MOC.
That's a bit embarrassing for me now, cause I had no clue about that. But I think that's how Lego is. Some times people have the same ideas without knowing from each other.
And with limited parts and building technics that can happen, especially when you build a model with Legos that exists in reality.

Thank you for telling me. I hope you all don't
mind if I still say that it's my creation because it is, but I will change my first post to give that guy at least some credits.

You do know that "that guy" you are refering to (ie. the one that build the original model) is the same as the one that just posted that message you just have replied to, right? If not, please correlate usernames and you might figure it out ;)

You are absolutely right about the above when it comes to "that's how lego is", but the other part of the hobby is being honest about where you took design ques from. For example, the way how you are using the flashlight piece as part of the railing is just a little bit too specific not to have copied. It's a typical Mijasper thing to use that piece, I'd say. Same goes for using grey instead of white. I think Mijaspers V60 is the only DB diesel I've ever seen that uses light grey instead of white for the all of the trimming. Oh, and the 1x2 "hook" brick you are using in the hood, and the recessed doors + railing. And again, yes, it's possible, and yes, you can have taken your design ques from other places, but that only makes me wonder more which the three other designs were you took inspiration from.

BTW, making it a MOD instead of a MOC is no shame to begin with! It's about the fun you had building and being inspired by other builders, and just sharing that credit with them. Nobody here cares if you take parts from other peoples designs to improve your own, as long as you are honest about it.*

In fact, if it actually is a MOD, it's a pretty nice update, using several pieces that 14 years ago just weren't available, and that you have correctly identified as being very usefull as subsitutions to make the model sleeker.  

*The problem here is ofcourse that you have posted it to Lego Ideas. 

Edited by raised
Added text

Well, all I can say is, that I am absolutely honest in this case.
Also I changed the topic to [MOD] and gave credits to mijasper in the first post.

I'm really sorry for not checking if that design was there in the first place.
I never expected to be that similar with another model getting inspiration from 3 other shunters, but not his one.

For posting it on Lego Ideas: I would delete it now that I know that, but it's not possible. If you have any suggestions please tell me.

Edited by NeoSephiroth

Why does this even matter? If they guy says he knew nothing about the first guy's build, he knew nothing about it. Get over it guys.

59 minutes ago, Redimus said:

Why does this even matter? If they guy says he knew nothing about the first guy's build, he knew nothing about it. Get over it guys.

Well I can understand how they feel. And I'm not the guy to fight over something like that.
He got a similar design first, so, also I didn't knew him or his build, I give him credit.

What I really care about is getting Lego to build it, no matter who did the design first.
I'm not fighting for getting credits. All I want is showing my designs to everyone, so everyone can build and enjoy them.

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 12:12 AM, Redimus said:

Yes. And yes again. Very nicely phrased @Redimus!

Best
Thorsten