doug72

LXF instructions versus PDF Instructions.

I find following LXF instructions and the generated building guide can be very frustrating at times due to having to disassemble parts already built in order to add further parts at later building steps.
Seems illogical way to build !

Also can be hard to determine the correct length of axles. Beams are OK as can count no. of holes. Is there a way to generate a parts list ?

I much prefer PDF instructions which are much clearer and builds in a logical manner.

Can LXF be converted to PDF ?

25 minutes ago, Doug72 said:

As far as I know, NO. I'm pretty good with LDD, and the most you can do is get a parts list by exporting BOM (file -> export BOM, or Ctrl+B). Generated building guide can only be exported (saved as) HTML file, and even then is the same as viewing it in LDD, the only difference is that you can now view it in your browser instead of having to open the LDD and generate building guide every time you want to see a building step. Also, for more complex models, LDD will generate different building steps each time you generate building guide. The only thing that is good for is to give you a general idea where to start (sometimes).

Edited by pagicence

48 minutes ago, pagicence said:

As far as I know, NO. I'm pretty good with LDD, and the most you can do is get a parts list by exporting BOM (file -> export BOM, or Ctrl+B). 

Thanks, now downloaded the parts list OK which will help identify parts required especially the axles.

OK when on the screen but when printed all the parts are out of step with the images, file does not like Mac OS 10.13.6
Tried as a zip file but still no joy.

Edited by Doug72

1 hour ago, Doug72 said:

I much prefer PDF instructions which are much clearer and builds in a logical manner.

That "logical order of steps" you are looking for is not generated automatically by LDD. Behind each step by step instructions stands lots of hours of work (manualy placing of parts, editing the sub assemblies, adding callouts).
In other words, each step by step PDF instruction is made by man, not by computer.
LDD auto generated instructions are good for small system builds, not for Technic models.

There's absolutely no chance to convince LDD to generate something like this ;)

800x565.jpg

What @M_longer said is very true. PDF instructions require a lot of labor. 

If you are interested in making better instructions from LDD, you can convert LDD to LDR and work on making steps for the instructions in LDCad or a similar program (use the latest conversion settings file), then lay out the instructions in LPub and publish the result as a PDF.   

The stepping process takes time, as you need to decide which parts fall into subassemblies, the sequence of the assembly and view rotation angles.  The layout in LPub involves deciding how many steps you are showing per page, the formatting of the pages, margins, colors, scaling, etc. You will also learn that the LPub software has several limitations and hard requirements on making accurate BOM lists. In other words, it's a lot of stuff to learn, which takes away from building time. I'm not trying to discourage you from the undertaking, just showing you what you'll experience if you head down this path. 

LXF is not an instruction by design. Mostly LXF comes as 'one step' and the steps determine the guide to building. I once took an unfinished LXF and brought it to a finished build including building instructions in a PDF.
Topic here with my building instructions quoted there, to add logo etc. I edited 150+ PNG images to create the resulting PDF: 

Whatever way, making the building steps in the original file and creating detailed building instructions to a PDF will be a lot of work. Haven't tried the stud.io building instructions maker yet but will soon try.

Edited by Berthil

Bricklink's Stud.io has a very good instruction maker..

But for best results, it STILL needs a lot of tweaking - moreso with Technic instructions, as we often have LOTS of subassemblies.. and sometimes the software isn't intelligent enough to place the parts in the best order for building (impossible assemblies, etc)

in Stud.io, if you create steps as you build it, on screen, the instruction creator works a LOT better

3 hours ago, RohanBeckett said:

Bricklink's Stud.io has a very good instruction maker..

But for best results, it STILL needs a lot of tweaking - moreso with Technic instructions, as we often have LOTS of subassemblies.. and sometimes the software isn't intelligent enough to place the parts in the best order for building (impossible assemblies, etc)

in Stud.io, if you create steps as you build it, on screen, the instruction creator works a LOT better

That is the absolute truth, if you don't place it in steps while building, it will become a pain. Either you will need to copy it and chunk it out, creating steps for assemblies or you will need to manually hide pieces and place them into steps in order.

Digital pdf instructions is many times better, but they require weeks of hardworking.

A prefer step by step photo sequence, converted then to a whole pdf file. Nobody claims about the quality, yet.

Example:

Spoiler

1920x1280.jpg

Edited by Aleh